The Student Room Group

Study leave question

Quick question

If you are on nights when you’re supposed to sit an exam (MRCP 2 as a core trainee), do you have to organise a swap or should you trust sort it/ employ a locum as it’s mandated?
Great thanks for the quick response! It’s in March. I’ve emailed asking them to get a locum. It’s a new rota coordinator so hoping she just assumes I know what I’m talking about 😂
Yay thank you!
Its generally best to contact them before the rota is released, so that they can put you on a rota line that doesn't have you on nights at that time. Of course, a good 70% of the time they do it anyway, but at least you can say you gave them the chance.

I'm guessing its too late in this case. I've only ever seen them insist you organise a swap. Same for things like weddings etc.
Original post by nexttime
Its generally best to contact them before the rota is released, so that they can put you on a rota line that doesn't have you on nights at that time. Of course, a good 70% of the time they do it anyway, but at least you can say you gave them the chance.

I'm guessing its too late in this case. I've only ever seen them insist you organise a swap. Same for things like weddings etc.

I’m a core trainee so my rota is for the whole year so definitely too late. I need to pass for my ARCP so I don’t se show they can say no?
Original post by Hippokrates
I’m a core trainee so my rota is for the whole year so definitely too late. I need to pass for my ARCP so I don’t se show they can say no?

Wow the whole year? Pretty sure that's not normal! Such advanced thought I didn't think the NHS was capable of that!

They won't say no - they'll say yes, as long as you arrange a swap :tongue: In reality if you pushed it you will probably find they are the ones who have to cave, but expect emails about 'emails from consultants etc, and good luck in your future rota endeavours, including any study leave to prepare for it.

Or at least, that's what my experience has been.
Reply 6
Original post by nexttime
Wow the whole year? Pretty sure that's not normal! Such advanced thought I didn't think the NHS was capable of that!

They won't say no - they'll say yes, as long as you arrange a swap :tongue: In reality if you pushed it you will probably find they are the ones who have to cave, but expect emails about 'emails from consultants etc, and good luck in your future rota endeavours, including any study leave to prepare for it.

Or at least, that's what my experience has been.

yeah, just to reiterate from nexttime.

the rota coordinators for my hospital and trust has specifically said that even for study leave, you only can get it approved right away if youre on a normal day shift with sufficient cover..
if not, you have to be the one to organise the swap.. they said they wont be responsible for it no matter how early you apply for it and would not source a locum for this regardless of mandatory days, courses or exams... (yet they say they will help you facilitate the swap)

rota coordinators at their finest.
Original post by Jckc123
yeah, just to reiterate from nexttime.

the rota coordinators for my hospital and trust has specifically said that even for study leave, you only can get it approved right away if youre on a normal day shift with sufficient cover..
if not, you have to be the one to organise the swap.. they said they wont be responsible for it no matter how early you apply for it and would not source a locum for this regardless of mandatory days, courses or exams... (yet they say they will help you facilitate the swap)

rota coordinators at their finest.

To be fair our college lead is actually really good. He organised to have one day off every 8 weeks because the rota didn’t facilitate our allotted one hour per week private study time. So hoping for the best. Also I think asking in November for March is not exactly unreasonable.
To be fair our college lead is actually really good. He organised to have one day off every 8 weeks because the rota didn’t facilitate our allotted one hour per week private study time. So hoping for the best. Also I think asking in November for March is not exactly unreasonable.

I know a guy who asked 1 year in advance, sent a reminder 3 months in advance, sent another 1 month in advance, for his wedding day, all before rota even created. For his wedding day.

Still got allocated an on call on that day. Still required to swap it.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 9

definitely not unreasonable.
its just whether they will honour it without organising swaps thats all.
in the end, we're mainly service provision after trust grades in medical jobs anyways.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending