The Student Room Group

No Motivation for A Levels

I’ve just started my a levels (bio, chem, sociology) in Sept. 2020 and I’m struggling so hard with being able to do any work. It’s really difficult for me to sit down and do my homework sometimes, let alone revise properly. I got a U twice in my biology test and I’m struggling with doing chem or sociology revision. I feel like I don’t know how to revise, but the most important thing is I don’t know how to bring myself to work. I know I can do really well if I put my mind to it, but I don’t know how to get started. Does anyone have any tips for trying to get more responsible in terms of work?
Its intially hard. Its not like GCSE where you can do a bit of work once a week. A-levels if you want get good grades require you to revise consistently with concentration (try to get rid of the distractions).
Original post by strangledleaf
I’ve just started my a levels (bio, chem, sociology) in Sept. 2020 and I’m struggling so hard with being able to do any work. It’s really difficult for me to sit down and do my homework sometimes, let alone revise properly. I got a U twice in my biology test and I’m struggling with doing chem or sociology revision. I feel like I don’t know how to revise, but the most important thing is I don’t know how to bring myself to work. I know I can do really well if I put my mind to it, but I don’t know how to get started. Does anyone have any tips for trying to get more responsible in terms of work?

Hello @strangledleaf,

Hope you are doing well! :smile:

When it comes to revision and homework, I have always found that the thing that was most helpful for me was creating a timetable for myself. This then allows you to be able to set personal deadlines for yourself, as well as incorporating the deadlines that you are given by your teachers. Try to set aside some time for yourself as well, in which you can have a rest or a break. Because you do not want to just be studying all the time and ending up burning yourself out, everyone needs breaks in between studying. For example; I like working for long periods of time so I will study for an hour and 30 minutes, then give myself a 10-20 minute break before starting the next hour and 30 minutes. Some people prefer to work in smaller time slots, so they may work for 45 minutes and then have a 5 minute break; in the end it is down to you and what you feel works best for you.

Try and find a study space where it is quiet and you know you will not be disturbed, as well as remove any major distractions when you are trying to study; for example maybe put your phone in a place where you will not be tempted to use it. Some people prefer to study in silence, others like there to be some background noise; you could always listen to some music if you think that will help you concentrate. I personally prefer listening to music that does not have lyrics when I am studying or revising, because then it is not silent, but also I do not get distracted by the song lyrics.

I would say that one thing that really helps me to focus and actually sit down and study for the time I set myself, is to give myself an incentive, something to look forward to once I finish the task I have set myself. Now this can be anything that you really want and think will help motivate you. For example it could be a snack that you want, or a book you want to read, or perhaps an episode of a tv series you are watching. By giving yourself something to look forward to at the end of your study session, you may find that it becomes easier to sit down, focus and study.

I hope these tips might be able to help! I know it can be especially hard to concentrate, especially in recent times with everything that is going on around us. But just know that when you put your mind to it, you can achieve anything that you want! :smile:

If you have any questions or would like me to elaborate further on anything that I have mentioned, then please do feel free to ask. :smile:

All the best,

Shaf :smile:
Reply 3

I do biology too, and yes I struggled at the beginning with exam technique, as did everyone else. The reality is, A levels are much harder than GCSEs. They require more independent work, and are designed to challenge you. I'm year 13 now, and doing better grades wise, so I'll offer some advice that worked for me. (U's to B's).

Make a timetable. Just do it and make yourself stick to it. Factor in different things like breaks, travelling, time to yourself etc and put in 5 hours PER SUBJECT per week. Just doing your homework is not going to get you the grade you want.

Notes as you go along are so important, as you understand what's going on in them. Writing information when it's fresh in your mind is easier than when you have to re-learn the topic to have notes. Condense them to a summary sheet/page. Teach someone else the chapter. Watch a snaprevise video on it and add anything you missed. Make a quizlet or use studyblue. Seneca is good for a brief overview, but this can't be your only source of info. Go on physicsandmaths tutor, find practice questions by topic. Revise said topic, do questions, mark them. Be honest with your score, don't lie to yourself, and anyway you're the only one who'll see it. Biology mark schemes are so specific so I really struggled with them personally.

For things you think are complex or don't know what's important and what's not (eg transcription and translation had loads of writing in the textbook), write the exam questions on cue cards or type them up and test yourself weekly on them. You'll start to see patterns in what the examiner is looking for. Remember to review previous content to get it into your long-term memory.

When you get set homework, try and do it that day. If you have a break in college, do it then. More work on campus is less work at home. Make friends in your classes so you have a little study group and can ask them stuff too. Or just ask the teacher.

When you know you've got a test coming up, don't put it off or procrastinate. The longer you wait, the worse it'll get. Get your notes up to date, do some questions, use the textbook questions too, and you'll get through it.

Don't be disheartened though. Lockdown and COVID was and is tough. No one's expecting you to be getting A's at this point. Find revision methods that work for you, remind yourself why you're doing this, and try and stay motivated. Reach out to family and friends, don't feel like you're alone because you're not.

Try and do what you can, take the weekend off unless you've got a big homework deadline, and don't work yourself too hard to the point that your mental health suffers. Also, get enough sleep and go to bed at a reasonable time. You retain more when you're wide awake.

Good luck for your next test!
Hello

Practice questions are key here. Do a little and often each day. Plan revision sessions carefully. Use your course notes as a means of revision. Read online articles on psychology and put them into your own words as far as possible. Try jotting down information on flashcards in addition. Form your own opinion on what you read etc too. There is a useful magazine available at local bookshops. This is a supplementary source of information and does not cost a lot to buy either. Find some published handy research studies online that may be used in addition.

download this app called forest it makes you work a certain time and stops you from leaving the app, which sort of feels like a game and makes it less likely for you to et distracted.
Limit whatever it is that is distracting you, e.g TV or PlayStation only in weekends and raise your aims, don’t aim for mediocrity, aim to go into each test/exam very confident to smash it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending