The Student Room Group

Study Budget Allowance for CT/ST

Hello,

Does anyone have an idea of how much the study budget allowance is for CT/ST trainee per year?

I know it would be deanery specific but I just wanted a rough idea of what to expect 😊
Reply 1
Mine was £800/year. But more recently my deanery had stopped setting a specific figure and now has a list of "essential/desirable" courses which it will fund, and generally will cover any essential course (usually e.g. resus courses) and a discretionary amount of desirable ones. Loads of things in the second category, like specific skills courses (e.g. fibre-optic intubation/regional anaesthesia study days for me), education/management courses, a limited number of exam revision courses, presenting at a conference etc. Not sure if this is just my specialty in my. deanery or if this change is more widespread.
I always found finding the opportunities to spend the money was the sticking point. Couldn't spend it on subscriptions, cant spend it on exams, couldn't get study leave approved for conferences or courses. What's left?
Reply 3
I've never had an application turned down!
Original post by Helenia
Mine was £800/year. But more recently my deanery had stopped setting a specific figure and now has a list of "essential/desirable" courses which it will fund, and generally will cover any essential course (usually e.g. resus courses) and a discretionary amount of desirable ones. Loads of things in the second category, like specific skills courses (e.g. fibre-optic intubation/regional anaesthesia study days for me), education/management courses, a limited number of exam revision courses, presenting at a conference etc. Not sure if this is just my specialty in my. deanery or if this change is more widespread.

The change is national. The essential courses are funded [and there is ongoing argument about what they are, but essential usually means named in the curriculum] the desirable is discretionary, and there is a regional variation around what is included. It is usually less generous in foundation as everything provided through working, and gets more generous as you go into higher training.
But the pot of money isnt any bigger.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending