The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

Uni life SOAS

I've applied to SOAS for History BA. The reviews are confusing me. Is it any good?
I was not a SOAS student but I imagine it's campus life will be very similar to UCL because you are literally free to entre any Bloomsbury universities' buildings except for LSHTM (maybe you can but I never tried) and most campus life are shared.

The overall environment in Bloomsbury in very like a real campus. It's highly student-based and easy to approach academia, business, pubs and simply friends. SOAS itself is tiny but we can use any nearby facility you want. The SOAS yard is probably the most beautiful yard across Bloomsbury. Sometimes it may get messy as there are many social or political campaigns, but you can go to IALS or Brunswick square for a quite space.

I studied in three London unis before and Bloomsbury is miles better than Aldwych in terms of student life. If you don't limit yourself in the small SOAS community, there are many good things to explore nearby.
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Reply 2
Original post by chikuu
I've applied to SOAS for History BA. The reviews are confusing me. Is it any good?

Hey, I'm a current BA History student, in my 2nd year at SOAS so I can give a bit of insight into it :smile: I've definitely had a good experience so far, in terms of the variation in modules that we can pick from and the general teaching style. 1st year was definitely very chill and didn't feel overwhelming at all but I felt like I enjoyed most of what I learnt, and it was a nice experience esp after a levels
I agree with the other reply shared; the Bloomsbury area is rlly nice and we have access to a lot of other universities in the area
Reply 3
Original post by Nahda
Hey, I'm a current BA History student, in my 2nd year at SOAS so I can give a bit of insight into it :smile: I've definitely had a good experience so far, in terms of the variation in modules that we can pick from and the general teaching style. 1st year was definitely very chill and didn't feel overwhelming at all but I felt like I enjoyed most of what I learnt, and it was a nice experience esp after a levels
I agree with the other reply shared; the Bloomsbury area is rlly nice and we have access to a lot of other universities in the area

Thank you so much for replying. I'm really keen on tye uni. Hows the atmosphere with other students? Is it very cliquey ot just more chill? I've just seen so many different reviews im confused haha
Reply 4
Original post by megascream
I was not a SOAS student but I imagine it's campus life will be very similar to UCL because you are literally free to entre any Bloomsbury universities' buildings except for LSHTM (maybe you can but I never tried) and most campus life are shared.

The overall environment in Bloomsbury in very like a real campus. It's highly student-based and easy to approach academia, business, pubs and simply friends. SOAS itself is tiny but we can use any nearby facility you want. The SOAS yard is probably the most beautiful yard across Bloomsbury. Sometimes it may get messy as there are many social or political campaigns, but you can go to IALS or Brunswick square for a quite space.

I studied in three London unis before and Bloomsbury is miles better than Aldwych in terms of student life. If you don't limit yourself in the small SOAS community, there are many good things to explore nearby.

Thanks a lot! This was really helpful :smile:
Reply 5
No worries! The atmosphere is just very chill tbh, I’d never heard of it being cliquey before I got there, but I wouldn’t say I’ve ever felt like it’s got that vibe. I’ve heard from friends of mine who have visited soas from other London uni’s that the atmosphere is really unlike sixth form/college which their uni’s are a little bit like.

Original post by chikuu
Thank you so much for replying. I'm really keen on tye uni. Hows the atmosphere with other students? Is it very cliquey ot just more chill? I've just seen so many different reviews im confused haha
Reply 6
Original post by Nahda
No worries! The atmosphere is just very chill tbh, I’d never heard of it being cliquey before I got there, but I wouldn’t say I’ve ever felt like it’s got that vibe. I’ve heard from friends of mine who have visited soas from other London uni’s that the atmosphere is really unlike sixth form/college which their uni’s are a little bit like.

ah, I see. Thats such a relief to know. And what about careers? Is a SOAS degree 'worth it' for lack of better phrasing?
Reply 7
Original post by chikuu
ah, I see. Thats such a relief to know. And what about careers? Is a SOAS degree 'worth it' for lack of better phrasing?

Ahhh that’s something I can’t give a proper answer to bc I haven’t graduated yet but obviously I’m hoping I won’t be unemployed 😂 but that kinda ties into the subject that we’re studying/will be studying. There’s no guarantee that studying History at any university (Oxford, LSE etc) will guarantee a job, but SOAS I think over the years has gained a reputation in a diff niche and a lot of employers (from what I’ve heard) are v interested in the approach it takes. But Yh I can’t give a great answer to that bc I may be in the unemployed boat after I graduate too 😂
Reply 8
Original post by Nahda
Ahhh that’s something I can’t give a proper answer to bc I haven’t graduated yet but obviously I’m hoping I won’t be unemployed 😂 but that kinda ties into the subject that we’re studying/will be studying. There’s no guarantee that studying History at any university (Oxford, LSE etc) will guarantee a job, but SOAS I think over the years has gained a reputation in a diff niche and a lot of employers (from what I’ve heard) are v interested in the approach it takes. But Yh I can’t give a great answer to that bc I may be in the unemployed boat after I graduate too 😂

ahahah i see. thats no problem but thanks for answering my question! All the best with everything! I've sent my application in already so if I do end up in SOAS I'll definitely be saying hi!
Reply 9
Original post by chikuu
ahahah i see. thats no problem but thanks for answering my question! All the best with everything! I've sent my application in already so if I do end up in SOAS I'll definitely be saying hi!

no worries! Thank you and good luck :smile:) I hope everything works out for you & definitely!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending