The Student Room Group

alevel choices - 2 languages?

helloo :smile:

i'm currently a year 11 student planning on staying at my current school if i don't get into my 1st choice (which does the ib) and they want us to submit our provisional alevel choices quite soon.

at the moment i really want to go to SOAS to study law and arabic and i'm thinking of taking geography, french, chemistry and either spanish or english. i'd love to take english but really hate the texts we study :frown:

i'm really stuck between spanish (which i love and i'm good at) or english (which i would get a really good grade in and might look better for law?) so if anyone has advice i would really appreciate it ty!
Reply 1
do spanish 100%
Original post by stargirl333

i'm currently a year 11 student planning on staying at my current school if i don't get into my 1st choice (which does the ib) and they want us to submit our provisional alevel choices quite soon.

at the moment i really want to go to SOAS to study law and arabic and i'm thinking of taking geography, french, chemistry and either spanish or english. i'd love to take english but really hate the texts we study :frown:

i'm really stuck between spanish (which i love and i'm good at) or english (which i would get a really good grade in and might look better for law?) so if anyone has advice i would really appreciate it ty!

There are no required subjects for law so choose the subjects you enjoy and will get the highest grades. Also, don't do four A levels. Unis only require three A levels and it is better to get AAA rather than AABB. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by normaw
There are no required subjects for law so choose the subjects you enjoy and will get the highest grades. Also, don't do four A levels. Unis only require three A levels and it is better to get AAA rather than AABB. :smile:

ah i know but i would really like to do 4 (hence why i want to ib, for keeping as wide a range of subjects as possible)
Original post by stargirl333

Hi, it's great that you're thinking of doing Law and Arabic at SOAS. I'm a final year Arabic and International Relations student at SOAS who has also taken an Islamic Law module so if you have any questions about SOAS, Arabic or uni life I'd be happy to answer them!

I'd also recommend doing 3 A-levels because SOAS only requires 3 and it means you can focus your efforts on getting the best grade possible. I also did Geography and Spanish A-Level and would recommend doing Spanish A-Level because you enjoy it so much and you're good at it. I loved Spanish too, we did loads of speaking practise and I loved reading spanish literature and listening to spanish music.

Hope this helps!
Z UG Arabic & IR

Quick Reply

Latest