The Student Room Group

wider reading for english lit and religion

does anyone have any book recommendations for wider reading for either English lit or religion and philosophy? preferably modern books because I've mainly read older classics and i want some interesting stuff to read
thx xoxo
Reply 1
Hello!
English lit is fairly easy as almost any book of substance can relate to your course. I would recommend any books released around or as a response to an important 20th century event. Additionally, focussing on a certain country or region can be very helpful if you wish to find lesser known writers or works.
I can't say too much about philosophy and religion exclusively, but linking into literature you could explore any existential modern such as The Outsider by Camus or even something like The Road by Cormac McCarthy as these both explore the human reaction to large and immoral events. Another good read would be Salman Rushdie's The Satanic Verses not only because of its loose adaption and inspiration of the life of Muhammed but also to explore the fallout of its publication. Due to the content and it's response among the Islamic community, Rushdie had a fatwa placed upon that was only recently revoked.
I hope this helps and good luck!
For religion I recommend books on philosophy.
Reply 3
Original post by Ihellow
Hello!
English lit is fairly easy as almost any book of substance can relate to your course. I would recommend any books released around or as a response to an important 20th century event. Additionally, focussing on a certain country or region can be very helpful if you wish to find lesser known writers or works.
I can't say too much about philosophy and religion exclusively, but linking into literature you could explore any existential modern such as The Outsider by Camus or even something like The Road by Cormac McCarthy as these both explore the human reaction to large and immoral events. Another good read would be Salman Rushdie's The Satanic Verses not only because of its loose adaption and inspiration of the life of Muhammed but also to explore the fallout of its publication. Due to the content and it's response among the Islamic community, Rushdie had a fatwa placed upon that was only recently revoked.
I hope this helps and good luck!

thanks so much! I'll have a look at them

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending