The Student Room Group

Multivariable Calculus or IB Higher Level Math for International PPE App

I'm a junior rn (I think that's the equivalent of a year 12, but tbh I'm not rlly sure), and I'm taking AP Calculus BC this year. The problem is that that's the highest level of math my school offers, so next year I have to go one of two other schools in my city for either multivar or IB HL. I saw that the IB HL one was referenced on the website, but I'd really prefer the multivar one because I have a lot of friends at that school. do any of you know if it would really matter for applications? thanks!
Original post by petridishh
I'm a junior rn (I think that's the equivalent of a year 12, but tbh I'm not rlly sure), and I'm taking AP Calculus BC this year. The problem is that that's the highest level of math my school offers, so next year I have to go one of two other schools in my city for either multivar or IB HL. I saw that the IB HL one was referenced on the website, but I'd really prefer the multivar one because I have a lot of friends at that school. do any of you know if it would really matter for applications? thanks!

I know someone who did E&M and AP calc in high school (not sure if BC or AB tho), and they told me they didn't cover anything beyond the content they already did in high school, in first year :smile:
You don't need more than A-level Maths or equivalent, which would be AP Calc (and tbh probably AP Calc AB; the BC topics tend to get covered in A-level Further Maths here). IB HL will be about the same level as AP Calc BC so there is little point taking that as you are just examining broadly the same material, and it doesn't really tell universities anything more.

You are fine without taking any further mathematics courses unless you so desire, as far as PPE at Oxford and other universities go. In the UK (as in the US normally if you aren't taking college classes in HS), multivariable calculus is normally not studied until university level (even for those planning to study e.g. physics, maths, engineering, etc). No university here would expect you to have studied multivariable calculus previously.
multivar calc would go quite a way beyond the standard required as above, but if you're very able, want to do it and have the time there's no reason why not. Basic multivariable calculus (partial derivatives mainly) appears in economics but prior exposure would not be assumed. The integration aspect would be far less useful and more applicable to physics and engineering.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending