The Student Room Group

GCSE physchology or sociology

I don't know which one to pick any advice would be appreciated :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Trust your gut feeling.
Original post by BTS IS HOT

It depends on what you're interested in. Are you interested in how society works and what influences it?
or are you more interested in the workings of the mind and what causes an individual to behave and think in a certain way?

What are you more interested in?
Reply 3
I did AQA GCSE Psychology and my sister does AQA GCSE Sociology (she also wanted to do Psychology but it was discontinued after my year so she couldn't). GCSE Psychology really isn't difficult if you keep on top of your notes, use flashcards, use past papers and mark schemes to improve your flashcards (the mark scheme is quite picky as you need to get key words to get full marks) and practice writing the 9 mark essay questions. The process seems similar for my sister in Sociology as she does more or less what I did, but Sociology goes all the way up to 12 markers and Psychology only up to 9 marks. Also, I think Sociology has slightly more writing whereas Psychology is slightly more scientifically-based; while she has to learn about different theories and apply them to situations (e.g. Marxist perspective, functionalist perspective, feminist perspective), Psychology involves learning about some research studies into different topics (e.g. Wiles' study into CBT and depression, Asch's conformity study).

Maybe have a look at the specifications for both subjects to see which topics look more interesting to you and their exam papers to see which style of exam you like more to make a decision? They're both reliable GCSEs, in my opinion. I liked Psychology enough to continue it at A-Level. :smile:

Edit: Just saw the comment above and they make a good point. Psychology is more about the individual (or groups of individuals) whereas Sociology is about society as a whole.
(edited 3 years ago)
As others have said, it's really what interests you more. There are videos on YouTube and books you can read about both. I'm studying sociology right now and I love it - it's mostly about the wider social forces that causes people to act how they do, whereas I see psychology as more of a science looking at the brain of individuals. Try to find content out there that explains concepts in both and see what you like more; if you can, talk to teachers about the subject and content as I'm sure they'll be a big help too.
Psychology and sociology are very similar they are both social sciences however sociology focuses on households and family, on the other side psychology has more of a biological side to it like the brain, memory and addiction. I did GCSE psychology and now I am doing applied psych and I know there are a lot of cross topics like research methods and crime. You should really look into the subject more and find out what interests you because sociology and psychology have a lot of other branches like forensic/ criminal psychology and sociology has a lot of other links with politics and anthropology.
Original post by pillowfields
As others have said, it's really what interests you more. There are videos on YouTube and books you can read about both. I'm studying sociology right now and I love it - it's mostly about the wider social forces that causes people to act how they do, whereas I see psychology as more of a science looking at the brain of individuals. Try to find content out there that explains concepts in both and see what you like more; if you can, talk to teachers about the subject and content as I'm sure they'll be a big help too.

Oh also it depends on the modules your teacher wants to teach. My 1st year textbook includes; Education, Research methods, Culture and identity, Families and households, Health, Work and poverty and welfare. Education and research methods is mandatory and then you pick another, most colleges teach Families but my teacher chose Culture x
Reply 7
Original post by Aminah T
It depends on what you're interested in. Are you interested in how society works and what influences it?
or are you more interested in the workings of the mind and what causes an individual to behave and think in a certain way?

What are you more interested in?

I'm more interested in psychology but my mum wants me to do sociology because psychology is apparently hard.
Reply 8
Original post by Pichi
I did AQA GCSE Psychology and my sister does AQA GCSE Sociology (she also wanted to do Psychology but it was discontinued after my year so she couldn't). GCSE Psychology really isn't difficult if you keep on top of your notes, use flashcards, use past papers and mark schemes to improve your flashcards (the mark scheme is quite picky as you need to get key words to get full marks) and practice writing the 9 mark essay questions. The process seems similar for my sister in Sociology as she does more or less what I did, but Sociology goes all the way up to 12 markers and Psychology only up to 9 marks. Also, I think Sociology has slightly more writing whereas Psychology is slightly more scientifically-based; while she has to learn about different theories and apply them to situations (e.g. Marxist perspective, functionalist perspective, feminist perspective), Psychology involves learning about some research studies into different topics (e.g. Wiles' study into CBT and depression, Asch's conformity study).

Maybe have a look at the specifications for both subjects to see which topics look more interesting to you and their exam papers to see which style of exam you like more to make a decision? They're both reliable GCSEs, in my opinion. I liked Psychology enough to continue it at A-Level. :smile:

Edit: Just saw the comment above and they make a good point. Psychology is more about the individual (or groups of individuals) whereas Sociology is about society as a whole.

thank you this really helps I think I'm gonna choose psychology :smile:
Reply 9
does anyone know which one is easier coz i do triple science and have to focus on that too.
Let me ask my sister who does it.
Original post by tinygirl96
Let me ask my sister who does it.

thanks
Reply 12
does anyone know which one is easier coz i do triple science and have to focus on that too.

I did Triple Science with Psychology and the workload was fine. Psychology didn't affect my performance in the sciences and the sciences didn't affect my performance in Psychology. Actually, the Biopsychology topic in GCSE Psychology helped me remember some Triple Biology content on the brain that my non-Psychology peers struggled to remember in our mocks (since it's such a small topic in Triple Biology, yet it made up an entire section on that mock).
(edited 3 years ago)

@BTS IS HOT

There really isn't that much difference between them at GCSE level (I have studied both, a degree in one, and an MSc in another). If you are more interested in different cultures and religions Sociology might be better for you. Psychology at that level tends to be more about how people interact and why they do the things they do - there is of course, a lot of crossover at degree and Masters level.

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Original post by Arden University
@BTS IS HOT

There really isn't that much difference between them at GCSE level (I have studied both, a degree in one, and an MSc in another). If you are more interested in different cultures and religions Sociology might be better for you. Psychology at that level tends to be more about how people interact and why they do the things they do - there is of course, a lot of crossover at degree and Masters level.

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador

thanks i think ill choose psychology because i find human behaviour more interesting :smile:
This are her tips
Be sure to colour code all your notes. It is a info heavy degree so make sure to buy some folders or plastic wallets from a shop or online firstly. Also keep all of your class notes in a accessible place. Read beyond the lines of the original question in order to figure out if there is any unwanted bias. When researching things online for your coursework essays ensure that you stick to bias free sources as much as possible.
Put all information you find into your own words. Try to do more further background reading and keep up with the workload as well. Pick the one that makes you the most comfortable however. Do not choose a university degree just because you think it will be easy. Do it because you genuinely enjoy it etc.
Ask clever questions to find out some more before making a decision either way about the course. Use whatever information that you found on the website and in the official course prospectus to help guide you in your decision making. In other words make a informed decision based on really good information and a careful consideration of your options. That way you will leave at the end not feeling like time was wasted for no reason. Make full use of uni resources.
I'm more interested in psychology but my mum wants me to do sociology because psychology is apparently hard.

Go for it. :yes:
Prove your mum wrong.
Original post by tinygirl96
This are her tips
Be sure to colour code all your notes. It is a info heavy degree so make sure to buy some folders or plastic wallets from a shop or online firstly. Also keep all of your class notes in a accessible place. Read beyond the lines of the original question in order to figure out if there is any unwanted bias. When researching things online for your coursework essays ensure that you stick to bias free sources as much as possible.
Put all information you find into your own words. Try to do more further background reading and keep up with the workload as well. Pick the one that makes you the most comfortable however. Do not choose a university degree just because you think it will be easy. Do it because you genuinely enjoy it etc.
Ask clever questions to find out some more before making a decision either way about the course. Use whatever information that you found on the website and in the official course prospectus to help guide you in your decision making. In other words make a informed decision based on really good information and a careful consideration of your options. That way you will leave at the end not feeling like time was wasted for no reason. Make full use of uni resources.

thank you this is very helpful :smile:
Original post by Pichi
I did Triple Science with Psychology and the workload was fine. Psychology didn't affect my performance in the sciences and the sciences didn't affect my performance in Psychology. Actually, the Biopsychology topic in GCSE Psychology helped me remember some Triple Biology content on the brain that my non-Psychology peers struggled to remember in our mocks (since it's such a small topic in Triple Biology, yet it made up an entire section on that mock).

Original post by pillowfields
Oh also it depends on the modules your teacher wants to teach. My 1st year textbook includes; Education, Research methods, Culture and identity, Families and households, Health, Work and poverty and welfare. Education and research methods is mandatory and then you pick another, most colleges teach Families but my teacher chose Culture x

Oh gosh this is embarrassing I thought this was about A Level; I didn't take GCSE Psych or Socio sorry!

Quick Reply

Latest