The Student Room Group

sociology a-level

What are people thoughts on it? Is it a good a-level for someone aiming for top universities? I'm considering studying law or some other humanities/social science. I'm set on English literature and Spanish but I'm on the fence with sociology, although I'm currently doing it at GCSE and I love it and I'm predicted a 9. It's also not offered at a lot of sixth forms I've looked at, and before anyone mentions it, I do not want to do history a-level. So what's your advice?? Especially if you've already done it/are doing it.
(edited 1 year ago)
Top university wise, maybe it's not the best subject - but if you're dead set against History and you also know you will likely get a good grade in Sociology A-level, then I'd do it. At the end of the day getting A*A*A* at A-level in Eng Lit, Spanish and Sociology is better than doing something for the 'reputation' of the subject like a hard science, maths or History and getting A*A*C, for example.

If at uni you know you'll want to do humanities or social science then Sociology is a great pick. For some reason Law departments at uni do not want Law A-level, so either Sociology or Politics A-levels would be my recommendations.

If your sixth form doesn't have it as option though that could be an issue. What do they offer as A-level options?
Reply 2
Original post by GloriousFailure
Top university wise, maybe it's not the best subject - but if you're dead set against History and you also know you will likely get a good grade in Sociology A-level, then I'd do it. At the end of the day getting A*A*A* at A-level in Eng Lit, Spanish and Sociology is better than doing something for the 'reputation' of the subject like a hard science, maths or History and getting A*A*C, for example.

If at uni you know you'll want to do humanities or social science then Sociology is a great pick. For some reason Law departments at uni do not want Law A-level, so either Sociology or Politics A-levels would be my recommendations.

If your sixth form doesn't have it as option though that could be an issue. What do they offer as A-level options?

Thanks for the advice. As regards to your last question, my first choice offers it, which is good. As for the others, it's pretty much the typical A-levels but I'm not really attracted to any of them. Subjects I could do/ am considering: psychology, economics or politics. But I'm not sure if I would enjoy them or be good at them, especially the last two, so psychology might be the way to go. However, for sixth forms that make me do four A-levels, I'm a little stumped there as I would basically have to do a science. I'm thinking chemistry of doing chemistry as I can like it sometimes and I'm predicted a 98 in combined science, but I've heard some scary stuff about chemistry so I'm not entirely sure. I could also do art but I don't think that's a good option.
Original post by GloriousFailure

Sociology isn't the frowned upon soft subject many people seem to think it is. For instance, LSE (which is one of the hardest to get into for law - harder than Oxbridge!) puts Sociology as a preferred subject to have. It is also very easy to link to law as you will study social policy (within both the family and theory units), crime and deviance (extremely easy to link to criminal law as well as a criticism of current laws), etc. Politics is also an excellent choice but I'd argue it is less easy to link into a law personal statement.

I did both Sociology and Politics a levels achieving an A* in socio, so if you have any questions @essie15, I'd be glad to answer them.
Original post by essie15
What are people thoughts on it? Is it a good a-level for someone aiming for top universities? I'm considering studying law or some other humanities/social science. I'm set on English literature and Spanish but I'm on the fence with sociology, although I'm currently doing it at GCSE and I love it and I'm predicted a 9. It's also not offered at a lot of sixth forms I've looked at, and before anyone mentions it, I do not want to do history a-level. So what's your advice?? Especially if you've already done it/are doing it.

Sociology is a good alevel if u did good in GCSEs and u love it defo do it for alevels , I done it for both GCSEs and A-level and honestly year 1 is a recap !! Of GCSEs u do family and education :smile:! A lot of my classmates have done sociology and are studying law at uni!!
Reply 5
Original post by PURPLE789
Sociology is a good alevel if u did good in GCSEs and u love it defo do it for alevels , I done it for both GCSEs and A-level and honestly year 1 is a recap !! Of GCSEs u do family and education :smile:! A lot of my classmates have done sociology and are studying law at uni!!

That's good to hear. Thank you!!
Original post by essie15

Sociology isnt frowned upon like people sometimes think it is.
I did it at both GCSE and A-level and loved it.
I found at a-level we did everything in more detail. Some of the topics we had done at gcse, some we hadnt (so were new topics).
Original post by isabelbelle
Sociology isn't the frowned upon soft subject many people seem to think it is. For instance, LSE (which is one of the hardest to get into for law - harder than Oxbridge!) puts Sociology as a preferred subject to have. It is also very easy to link to law as you will study social policy (within both the family and theory units), crime and deviance (extremely easy to link to criminal law as well as a criticism of current laws), etc. Politics is also an excellent choice but I'd argue it is less easy to link into a law personal statement.

I did both Sociology and Politics a levels achieving an A* in socio, so if you have any questions @essie15, I'd be glad to answer them.

Yes, for people looking to apply to 'prestigious' social science universities like LSE, sociology is the perfect choice.
Also, the content point is a good point - so long as the OP backs up their subject choice in their personal statement, all is well regardless of what they pick. As you point out subjects like Sociology and Politics are easier to relate to Law in a personal statement than Chemistry is.
Original post by essie15
Thanks for the advice. As regards to your last question, my first choice offers it, which is good. As for the others, it's pretty much the typical A-levels but I'm not really attracted to any of them. Subjects I could do/ am considering: psychology, economics or politics. But I'm not sure if I would enjoy them or be good at them, especially the last two, so psychology might be the way to go. However, for sixth forms that make me do four A-levels, I'm a little stumped there as I would basically have to do a science. I'm thinking chemistry of doing chemistry as I can like it sometimes and I'm predicted a 98 in combined science, but I've heard some scary stuff about chemistry so I'm not entirely sure. I could also do art but I don't think that's a good option.

I wouldn't make the decision to do Chemistry (or Biology or Physics) without really reading ahead the spec to be sure you will enjoy it and do well at it - as it will be hard to fit into your personal statement for Law. Sociology and Politics are definitely better options with your university course choice in mind. Psychology is an interesting subject - though there is some numerical content that many students do not like. Doing English Literature, Spanish and one of Sociology, Politics or Psychology would be a good decision.
Original post by isabelbelle

what kind of revision techniques etc did u do in order to achieve that grade in sociology?
Original post by essie15

I think if you know you enjoy it you should do it! I did it at A level along with Eng Lit and History and really really enjoyed it. It links in so well with other subjects that although it's sometimes perceived as "soft" it is still useful. Better to have an A* in Soc than a C in History I guess too!

Quick Reply

Latest