The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hannahjaayy
Is anybody here a British passport holder but lives overseas, applying for Home fees? I ask because St. Andrews has just recently put me down as an international student, though I am still trying to negotiate with them, which sucks because I absolutely cannot afford international student fees. I'm worried, in the slim chance I get an interview/get accepted to Oxford, that something similar will happen. It would suck to have to turn down any (or all) of my UK offers because they won't classify me as a home student. Apparently a lot of Brits living overseas also have this problem - does anybody know which sort of documentation I should try to bring forth?
Sorry if this is not entirely related to the thread, by the way, just thought I would ask

I'm British living in the Netherlands! For the next 7 years British citizens in the EU class as home students and therefore are paying home fees luckily! It's because the next 7 years class as a transition period. I've had an offer from York already and been classed as a home student so don't worry. I think you can contact the minister of education about this, as that's what my mother did and where she got all this information from, as long as you live in the EU
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by liseazurite
Thank you!! It’s actually quite fun to be going through the process again for me (I already have a degree), but I get what you mean 🙃 Good luck to you! What are you applying for?

Ah I see, I'm actually applying after a change in discipline so this is technically my second go at uni. I'm applying for PPL at Brasenose
Original post by ejones909
anyone applying for arabic or just any course at queen's? Not sure when I should expect an interview/rejection from them

I applied for Arabic too (at Mansfield). The latest we should hear back is 29/11/21 because that’s a week before the interviews for Oriental Studies start (06/12/21) and we’re supposed to be given a week’s notice. I have a feeling we’ll hear back on Friday though.
Reply 3943
Original post by millieamc
i’ve applied for Mansfield , for human sciences though. Haven’t heard anything yet

i applied mansfield for humsci too! really doubt im getting an interview though, i messed up the tsa so bad
Anyone applied to Univ for PPE? If so has anyone heard back 😬
Original post by jane_wEYREwolf
If we’re thinking about the same person, then I’m pretty sure her Instagram is ‘mollyslittlesisters’, if that’s of any help :smile:

Thank you so much! I think it’s them yes I will see if there’s anything on their instagram that can help more :smile:
Original post by jane_wEYREwolf
If we’re thinking about the same person, then I’m pretty sure her Instagram is ‘mollyslittlesisters’, if that’s of any help :smile:

Different Molly...
Original post by nicholasjosephs
Unless you are a Scot then you are an overseas student. All English students are automatically classed as non 'home' students. The English are classed as Rest of UK (RUK) It is because you don't live in Scotland. Where do you live?

Ah yes, that's what I meant; for St. Andrew's I'm trying to go for RUK fees, but they've put me down as international. Yep I'm not a scot, sorry I miswrote!
I live in Beijing currently
Original post by hoemeric
me! i was born in england but have been living overseas for the past few years. i’ve been classified as international for all the unis i applied to (including st. andrews and oxford).

i think it might be different for universities in england compared to scottish ones, because they prefer intl students for the money. i don’t know if it’s necessarily true, but it’s something i hear often.

it’s worth appealing your fee status though. they might change it if you haven’t been away for too long.

also, did you apply as home or international on ucas?

Home on UCAS but still they're not convinced. I'm realising now they might see this differently in Scotland compared to England - but still, I would expect to be put down for Rest of UK fees, instead of International. I have unfortunately myself been a way for a good deal of time, but my father has been living in the UK for all of that time, and I have been returning to the UK each Summer. St. Andrew's said to me that they don't accept proof of travel if it's during "holiday times" which I think includes Summer, but I'm not sure when else they would expect me to be in the UK if I am getting my education overseas?!
Original post by marvelscloud
I'm British living in the Netherlands! For the next 7 years British citizens in the EU class as home students and therefore are paying home fees luckily! It's because the next 7 years class as a transition period. I've had an offer from York already and been classed as a home student so don't worry. I think you can contact the minister of education about this, as that's what my mother did and where she got all this information from, as long as you live in the EU

Ah that's great for you! Unfortunately I do not live in the EU :frown: I'm in China currently. I might try to contact somebody about it, thank you
Original post by SaintLaurent
Do you have British citizenship? I lived in England from birth til end of year 10 (so mid-2019) but I only have settled status and not citizenship (I have dual EU citizenship from my parents instead) so I’m worried I’ll get classed as international, even though based on a UKCISA document I read I should qualify for home fees since there are many many different categories :frown:

By the way how do you know that you’ve been classed as international by Oxford? I thought they only decided your fee status once you’ve been accepted

i do have a british passport. i put my fee status down as international on my ucas, since i’ve been away from the uk for about four years now.

it’s different for each uni, but as far as i know if you’ve done your gcse’s in england, you’re automatically home. i’m not sure about this though.
Original post by Anonymous
Every uni interprets the rules slightly differently but generally You need to have lived in the U.K. for 3 years prior to starting uni. Your stay in the U.K. can’t be for education only. If you have been out of the U.K. because your parents got transferred for work but they still have ties to the U.K. (come back regularly and still own a house here) then you may be able to get home fee status.

@hannahjaayy
i thought this might apply to you
Home on UCAS but still they're not convinced. I'm realising now they might see this differently in Scotland compared to England - but still, I would expect to be put down for Rest of UK fees, instead of International. I have unfortunately myself been a way for a good deal of time, but my father has been living in the UK for all of that time, and I have been returning to the UK each Summer. St. Andrew's said to me that they don't accept proof of travel if it's during "holiday times" which I think includes Summer, but I'm not sure when else they would expect me to be in the UK if I am getting my education overseas?!

i think uk will definitely be different compared to scotland. good luck <3
Is anybody here a British passport holder but lives overseas, applying for Home fees? I ask because St. Andrews has just recently put me down as an international student, though I am still trying to negotiate with them, which sucks because I absolutely cannot afford international student fees. I'm worried, in the slim chance I get an interview/get accepted to Oxford, that something similar will happen. It would suck to have to turn down any (or all) of my UK offers because they won't classify me as a home student. Apparently a lot of Brits living overseas also have this problem - does anybody know which sort of documentation I should try to bring forth?
Sorry if this is not entirely related to the thread, by the way, just thought I would ask

A friend of mine pays home fee, starts uni this year 2021. She was born in UK and has a British passport. She was educated in Asia since 5 yrs old until year 13.
Original post by nez24
i thought that there wasn't a cut off and they look at it holistically amongst other aspects...

i believe there is some sort of lower and higher threshold mark that they set such that every one above the higher threshold is selected and lower threshold is rejected and for the ppl in between they look at it holistically among other aspects? i am not sure about PAT but at least this is how they correct MAT
Original post by Anonymous
st andrews exeter sheffield and Leeds. any offers

nope, haven’t received anything yet. you?
Original post by praveen vijay
i believe there is some sort of lower and higher threshold mark that they set such that every one above the higher threshold is selected and lower threshold is rejected and for the ppl in between they look at it holistically among other aspects? i am not sure about PAT but at least this is how they correct MAT

For PAT also there is a cutoff. Everyone above the cutoff is automatically selected for interview. Some people below the cutoff are selected for interview based on other merits but that number is less. So, PAT marks remains the main criteria for deciding who gets an interview invite and who does not. The holistic approach in Oxford/Cambridge is far less holistic than say US universities. It is holistic to a degree but academics remains the centre of the criteria and PAT marks allow them to compare different candidates very easily.
FYI, someone on reddit got rejected from Nottingham law, suggesting their LNAT was weak, but got an invite to Oxford?
Original post by millieamc
i’ve applied for Mansfield , for human sciences though. Haven’t heard anything yet

Hey I’ve applied for humsci at hertford, haven’t heard anything back yet :smile:
Swish, swish, swishety swish…

Pink woshette , the TSR lucky Oxford mascot, is wishing you all good luck for today

Latest

Trending

Trending