The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jane_wEYREwolf
Finally heard about English today ! (I applied to one of the last colleges to tell people) and am so happy to have an interview !!

To everyone anxiously waiting- don’t worry, it WILL come! The feeling of relief at the end is worth it !!

yay well done jane! So glad for you!

Just stressed, want an interview so badlyyyy, so painful
anyone heard for physics? soso nervous i cant concentrate on anything :/
Original post by jane_wEYREwolf
Finally heard about English today ! (I applied to one of the last colleges to tell people) and am so happy to have an interview !!

To everyone anxiously waiting- don’t worry, it WILL come! The feeling of relief at the end is worth it !!

ahh congrats jane!! you’ve been such a positive force on this thread and have accompanied me throughout the AGONY of waiting, so i’m delighted to hear it’s turned out well for you!! <33 (also how have i just realised your username has ‘eyre’ in it lmao)
Original post by ZedTV
yay well done jane! So glad for you!

Just stressed, want an interview so badlyyyy, so painful

Thank you very much :smile: But stay positive ! And in the meantime, focus on your interview prep and your other work- act like you’ve already got it and hopefully it’ll come!! Sending you positive vibes and luck !!
Original post by rebekahharness
anyone heard for physics? soso nervous i cant concentrate on anything :/

My son is waiting on physics too. Nothing yet
good luck to you
Has anybody had interview timings confirmation from new college?
Original post by Scotney
So sorry to hear this and honestly may well be the reason.Do wait and see what happens with your other unis and maybe you will want to apply next year or maybe you will get an offer or find something in clearing or extra. I am sure you are in shock now understandably but at the best of times Oxford is a punt and never a given. Even out of those who get an interview 2 out of 3 get rejected at least.
Look after yourself and there really is more to life than Oxford, so much more. Sending a virtual hug.

Thank you for the virtual hug. I’ve taken the day of school as can’t face telling friends especially as some of them have received offers. And I can’t stop visiting this page either just yet.

But thank you for replying and the perspective.
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you for the virtual hug. I’ve taken the day of school as can’t face telling friends especially as some of them have received offers. And I can’t stop visiting this page either just yet.

Your reaction is perfectly understandable. Just be kind to yourself today. Don't worry about your friends' reactions as they will be very sympathetic.

I know this is hard, but every day will get a bit better, as you get more and more used to what has happened. You will doubtless also get lots of offers from other unis, and you can be happy and successful there.
when do you think st catz will send interview invites for history????? i’m so nervous and i have a day of school so i hope they tell us today so i can get over rejection 😭
Original post by banicaiboza
when do you think st catz will send interview invites for history????? i’m so nervous and i have a day of school so i hope they tell us today so i can get over rejection 😭

They will tell you when they are able to. Please be patient.
Original post by banicaiboza

Hey I'm applying st catz for history too!! The wait is unbearable...good luck!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by mlee531
Hey I'm applying st catz for history too!! The wait is unbearable...good luck!

good luck to you too!!! <3
why am i getting so many emails today of all days 😭 NO i do not care about your cyber monday sale please leave me alone
Original post by Oxford Mum
They will tell you when they are able to. Please be patient.

I think most people understand this but when there's a lot on the line and a lot of stress, anyone would want to get any information they can- especially because a lot of the history offers haven't been sent. Both sides of the argument are understandable.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by mlee531
I think most people understand this but when there's a lot on the line and a lot of stress, anyone would want to get any information they can- especially because a lot of the history offers haven't been sent. Both sides of the argument are understandable.

But if the college do not have any information yet, they cannot update the students. Neither can anyone else.
I see that Oriel have started sending out a fair amount of interview invites quite early this morning... (according to the spreadsheet)

Also so sorry to hear this. I am in agreement with everything said so very well to you by both @Scotney and @Oxford Mum.
I would also add one additional comment, which I hope might be of some help to you.
I know of someone from our local school who had some GCSE’s downgraded, and as a result lost his place at the uni and course he had set his heart on. He then spent time looking carefully into all the courses and other uni’s he had applied to. One of them he had since decided he didn’t want to go to any longer, but having looked again at the courses he realised the course they had was actually more suited and actually more appropriate than the one he had set his heart on. He is now very happy at the initially discounted course and Uni.

You will be successful, and I’m sure your friends will be supportive to you. They may well be in need of your support too on decisions day on January.

Sending you a virtual hug too.
(edited 2 years ago)
I wish I could have your positive outlook. I am really struggling with my rejection. I received an email on Saturday and I spent the whole day in bed. I am utterly devastated as it has been my dream to study at Oxford since I started secondary school. That was the reason I worked so hard at school. I am seriously thinking about applying next year now as I’m scared I won’t hear from other Uni’s this year also as my GCSE were downgraded (I was always on track for 9s until GCSE mocks when I was ill (diagnosed with severe anxiety start of year 11 and put on meds). As I didn’t do well in three of my subjects I received 7s (even though in my Autumn report I was still on track for 9s!!). I am angry and upset as I feel let down by my school at that time as I can’t help wondering if that was the reason.

Very sorry to read this post and it is valid to feel awful about your unsuccessful application.

You should take a step back and consider all options before making future decisions. If you are keen and confident that a reapplication will be reasonable, then go for it, but know that Oxford generally tends to weight GCSEs, so a Cambridge application might be sensible (hopefully with strong A Levels).

It is easy to go down a dark tunnel and be focused on Oxford (or Cambridge) but know that it is just 3 years of your life and you have to think about the future. If you have other decent prospects from similarly rated unis like Durham, Edinburgh and the London ones, then I’d strongly advise you to consider those unis as well and probably apply for postgrad at Oxbridge.

Finally, don't worry about your school friends with offers. Remember that they only have interviews and sadly some more people would receive unfortunate unsuccessful outcomes in January. I am not trying to belittle their achievement of receiving interview offers but it is important to look at the bigger picture.

To me, it is better to take the L quickly and fail fast than go to the end and be unsuccessful at the final hurdle. I know someone who got an admission offer but missed her grades because she was unwell during the exam period. She went to Lancaster (her second choice) and then back to Oxford for her postgrad.

Keep your head up and be rest assured that there are people out there rooting for you. All the best.
geography peeps where y'all at? how are you guys holding up?
geography peeps where y'all at? how are you guys holding up?

Hello! not too bad at the moment, just trying to be patient. I think they’ll start coming through in the next 48 hours

Latest

Trending

Trending