The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3220
littleshambles
Cambridge isn't for languages, it's for philosophy. :frown:

I have no language qualifications. Hence UCL looks even better.

I think you'd regretting not studying philosophy at cambridge. It's the best place to study it in THEEEE WHOOOLLEE COUUUNTRYYY! sorry XD

Maybe I'm a bit biased being a philosopher...but who needs Russian, come on now...unless you want to translate Dostoevsky, then it's fine :wink:
Sammerz
I think you'd regretting not studying philosophy at cambridge. It's the best place to study it in THEEEE WHOOOLLEE COUUUNTRYYY! sorry XD

Maybe I'm a bit biased being a philosopher...but who needs Russian, come on now...unless you want to translate Dostoevsky, then it's fine :wink:

But Russia is great! And I do like a bit of continental philosophy really :frown: Seriously have you SEEN their ESPS modules. Some of them make me drool actual spit.

I'd probably regret not studying philosophy at Cambridge... But then I think if I went to Cambridge I'd regret not taking the chance to go to Holy Mother Russia etc lol (assuming I actually change to Russian and don't do Dutch... You can go to the Netherlands anytime, they all speak English anyway. :shifty:)
littleshambles
But Russia is great! And I do like a bit of continental philosophy really :frown: Seriously have you SEEN their ESPS modules. Some of them make me drool actual spit.

I'd probably regret not studying philosophy at Cambridge... But then I think if I went to Cambridge I'd regret not taking the chance to go to Holy Mother Russia etc lol (assuming I actually change to Russian and don't do Dutch... You can go to the Netherlands anytime, they all speak English anyway. :shifty:)

Go to UCL AND Cambridge.

Sorted. :yep:
Reply 3223
littleshambles

OH MY GOD, ACTUAL SPIT! :smile:

I haven't seen the modules, perhaps they are worthy of salivation...meh lol
Got a conditional from uni of Bradford:
Pass Polish Matura to include at least 50% in 2 subjects ataken at higher level for psychology.

If you dont know what it means, i can say these are VERY low conditions. However, it's my last choice. But :smile: anyway. I know now that my PS was a good piece of work.
littleshambles

Send abusive emails to the admissions tutors at both universities - if one of you still wants you after that then you're sorted! That way you would see which one wants you more. And if neither of them want you then you'll have no choice but to go somewhere else and so you won't have to decide..

Edit: I predict you will choose Cambridge. We should have bets!
littleshambles

theres no question betweent the 2 universities - of course you're gonna choose cambridge! those who are going to UCL will say the opposite.

plus, you can learn russian at the language centre.
necessarily benevolent
Go to UCL AND Cambridge.

Sorted. :yep:

:love:
Lol
If only.

Sammerz
OH MY GOD, ACTUAL SPIT! :smile:

I haven't seen the modules, perhaps they are worthy of salivation...meh lol

:yep: :yep: :yep:

johnbrown
Send abusive emails to the admissions tutors at both universities - if one of you still wants you after that then you're sorted! That way you would see which one wants you more. And if neither of them want you then you'll have no choice but to go somewhere else and so you won't have to decide..

Edit: I predict you will choose Cambridge. We should have bets!

LOL. I should do this. :rofl: You however should not take bets! :mad:

dark<>horizon
theres no question betweent the 2 universities - of course you're gonna choose cambridge! those who are going to UCL will say the opposite.

plus, you can learn russian at the language centre.

Yeah, but this way I'll have to learn it as part of my degree, so I'm guessing it'll be more motivation to learn, and I'll end up more proficient at the language (unless I turn out to suck at languages, but I didn't take that long to pick up dutch self-teaching, even if it is beyond ****...). And I wouldn't be able to take the year abroad, AND the ESPS modules are just better and I have more choice. Although no supervisions. Plus the admissions tutor is adorable and they obviously want me more than Cambridge. Who POOLED ME! :mad: (OK technically another college pooled me but still. :shifty: Yes that's a crap reason, it's why it's on the end. lol)
littleshambles
:love:
Lol
If only.

:yep: :yep: :yep:

Yeah, but this way I'll have to learn it as part of my degree, so I'm guessing it'll be more motivation to learn, and I'll end up more proficient at the language (unless I turn out to suck at languages, but I didn't take that long to pick up dutch self-teaching, even if it is beyond ****...). And I wouldn't be able to take the year abroad, AND the ESPS modules are just better and I have more choice. Although no supervisions. Plus the admissions tutor is adorable and they obviously want me more than Cambridge. Who POOLED ME! :mad: (OK technically another college pooled me but still. :shift: Yes that's a crap reason, it's why it's on the end. lol)

relative academic prestige is important too?
littleshambles

Okay, we won't do the bets thing :frown: It is still a nice position for you to be in though! (sort of, bar the horrible decision making)

Another plan, send emails to both admissions tutors saying you're going to go to the other university and set up a wrestling match between them! They might just say fine go then we don't care... but if they went through with it, it would be v. entertaining...
Reply 3230
Has anybody recieved any offers from Edinburgh yet?
johnbrown
Okay, we won't do the bets thing :frown: It is still a nice position for you to be in though! (sort of, bar the horrible decision making)

Another plan, send emails to both admissions tutors saying you're going to go to the other university and set up a wrestling match between them! They might just say fine go then we don't care... but if they went through with it, it would be v. entertaining...

Lol I reckon UCL wants me more. The admissions tutor emailed me the RAE results for philosophy with like a hint about where the best philosophy department is :o: AND they're willing to try and get my course changed for me. And they've said lots of lovely things about my personal statement :love:

Cambridge, conversely, POOLED ME. :mad: (Disclaimer, I am in no way ungrateful for my amazing and wonderful - unless you'd rather hear it's not that great anyway, in which case it isn't - Cambridge offer and apologise to all those who got rejected :frown:)

You can do bets, it would be funny :p: (FOR YOU :shifty:)
You obviously want to go to UCL, so where's the decision?
littleshambles
Lol I reckon UCL wants me more. The admissions tutor emailed me the RAE results for philosophy with like a hint about where the best philosophy department is :o: AND they're willing to try and get my course changed for me. And they've said lots of lovely things about my personal statement :love:

Cambridge, conversely, POOLED ME. :mad: (Disclaimer, I am in no way ungrateful for my amazing and wonderful - unless you'd rather hear it's not that great anyway, in which case it isn't - Cambridge offer and apologise to all those who got rejected :frown:)

You can do bets, it would be funny :p: (FOR YOU :shifty:)

awww that's sweet of ucl :h: But it sort of shows that they know they're not as good as Cambridge :frown: Poor UCL. (I'm going there btw I think haha, if I had to choose between cam and ucl though I'd choose cam probably but it's different for you because the courses are so different)
I wonder whether they somehow know you've got into Cambridge
necessarily benevolent
You obviously want to go to UCL, so where's the decision?

I want to go to Cambridge too :frown: I fear London slightly (but not just that, I love Cambridge too and the idea of living in college and blah blah blah and all of it) and I want to be supervised by horrifyingly clever people in their study-rooms and eye their bookshelves and have discussions with them. God that makes a supervision sound like something out of Handsome Devil. And it would be a lot cheaper.
littleshambles
I want to go to Cambridge too :frown: I fear London slightly (but not just that, I love Cambridge too and the idea of living in college and blah blah blah and all of it) and I want to be supervised by horrifyingly clever people in their study-rooms and eye their bookshelves and have discussions with them. God that makes a supervision sound like something out of Handsome Devil. And it would be a lot cheaper.

... Go to Cambridge :sigh: . Alas, I feel you must move onto better pastures...
johnbrown
awww that's sweet of ucl :h: But it sort of shows that they know they're not as good as Cambridge :frown: Poor UCL. (I'm going there btw I think haha, if I had to choose between cam and ucl though I'd choose cam probably but it's different for you because the courses are so different)
I wonder whether they somehow know you've got into Cambridge

Lol yeah Cambridge aren't going to email me saying hey, check out the latest RAE. Surprised? :wink:

But then the degree itself is very prestigious I think...
Got an offer from Sheffield for English...haven't heard anything from UCL, Kings, Edinburgh or Queen Mary's yet...

Is it true most people have been offered interviews or rejections for English now?

I'm SO bored of waiting!
Lyrysssa
Aww I'm so worried about my Strathclyde choices! I applied for Management as well as Management and Business Enterprise, but I've not had so much as an acknowledgement and I heard that people had them already! :frown:
I hope that everything's alright because it was where I wanted to go. Any of you guys apply to Strathclyde and get atleast an acknowledgement?

I haven't had anything yet, but I only got my application in two days before the deadline.

Got a conditional offer from Liverpool, so so happy. :biggrin:
Offer from ESSEX!!!!!!!11111111111111111
Such a lovely mail, the admission directot told me that she was impressed by my PS :biggrin:

I'm so happy! Essex is my 2nd choice :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending