The Student Room Group

KCL or St.Andrews for English

I am an international student with conditional offers from both KCL and St.A . I've seen that KCL has a higher international reputation but St.Andrew's is deemed extremely prestigious within the UK and has been ranked 2nd after Oxford (by Guardian).
Hence, my dilemma. It would be very kind if someone could point out the pros and cons of both these unis and also including the aspect of internships and graduate employability. Thank you!
P.S - If it helps, I am a very introverted person who is looking forward to making some long-lasting friendships in uni
Both Unis are 'good' so either would be fine.

Look at the course content for each degree - they will not be exactly the same. What units are available, do they really interest you or is it just the idea of 'that' Uni? Think about the reality of each Uni - there is an enormous difference between being in central London and a very small Scottish town that is miles from anywhere else. Look at the online campus tour films - St A = https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/visiting/online/ and KCL = https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study-at-kings/campus-tours
Original post by Saumyaaaaa
I am an international student with conditional offers from both KCL and St.A . I've seen that KCL has a higher international reputation but St.Andrew's is deemed extremely prestigious within the UK and has been ranked 2nd after Oxford (by Guardian).
Hence, my dilemma. It would be very kind if someone could point out the pros and cons of both these unis and also including the aspect of internships and graduate employability. Thank you!
P.S - If it helps, I am a very introverted person who is looking forward to making some long-lasting friendships in uni

st andrews has a great international reputation too - you can regard them as equivalent in the sense of how good they are academically.

with these two specifically, you have to choose based on course structure because theyre so different.

kcl is in England, so follows the English course structure. it is 3 years of uni, with three terms per year. the first year will generally have no flexibility (you will be told exactly what modules to study), the second year will have a little more flexibility, and third year may only have 2 required modules and the rest will be up to you. you will have exams at the end of first year which determine whether you can stay on the course (generally low requirements to pass at this point, theyre just making sure you're not wasting your education so dont stress about them) but your degree will be formed 100% out of third year exams on 2nd and 3rd year modules.
ive not personally looked at kcl or English, so this is just the general British uni course structure and you may want to check for specifics

st andrews is in Scotland so follows scottish course structure. it is four years at uni (which may be worth considering if you're paying 22000 a year or whatever the international fee is). the first two year years are very flexible and you can take up to 3+ subjects, slowly narrowing down to a final 3, 2 or 1 subject(s) which makes up your degree. there are two terms per year, and it is modular. that means that you choose your modules at the start of the each term (there are only 1-2 required modules per subject in year 1 and 2, other modules can come from your own subject or from any subject excluding medicine) and then you sit an exam in each module at the end of that term. there are no end of year exams. this means that over the Christmas holidays, you have an entire month off where you dont need to revise for exams because you already sat your module exams before you finished, and you have not started your next modules. obviously prep is useful, but you dont go back to those modules you've already done. your degree is made up of your scores in the module exams over years 3 and 4.

i love the Scottish course structure because it seems much less stressful than here in England, but its completely personal preference and i think that's the biggest difference between those two unis :smile:
Original post by emileeeei
st andrews has a great international reputation too - you can regard them as equivalent in the sense of how good they are academically.

with these two specifically, you have to choose based on course structure because theyre so different.

kcl is in England, so follows the English course structure. it is 3 years of uni, with three terms per year. the first year will generally have no flexibility (you will be told exactly what modules to study), the second year will have a little more flexibility, and third year may only have 2 required modules and the rest will be up to you. you will have exams at the end of first year which determine whether you can stay on the course (generally low requirements to pass at this point, theyre just making sure you're not wasting your education so dont stress about them) but your degree will be formed 100% out of third year exams on 2nd and 3rd year modules.
ive not personally looked at kcl or English, so this is just the general British uni course structure and you may want to check for specifics

st andrews is in Scotland so follows scottish course structure. it is four years at uni (which may be worth considering if you're paying 22000 a year or whatever the international fee is). the first two year years are very flexible and you can take up to 3+ subjects, slowly narrowing down to a final 3, 2 or 1 subject(s) which makes up your degree. there are two terms per year, and it is modular. that means that you choose your modules at the start of the each term (there are only 1-2 required modules per subject in year 1 and 2, other modules can come from your own subject or from any subject excluding medicine) and then you sit an exam in each module at the end of that term. there are no end of year exams. this means that over the Christmas holidays, you have an entire month off where you dont need to revise for exams because you already sat your module exams before you finished, and you have not started your next modules. obviously prep is useful, but you dont go back to those modules you've already done. your degree is made up of your scores in the module exams over years 3 and 4.

i love the Scottish course structure because it seems much less stressful than here in England, but its completely personal preference and i think that's the biggest difference between those two unis :smile:

also - st andrews is in a small town and its a smaller university too (10,000 students vs kcls 30,000) - i think this means the community spirit is stronger
kcl is in London so the opportunities for employment are obviously going to be better, but its also super expensive to live there
Reply 4
Original post by McGinger
Both Unis are 'good' so either would be fine.

Look at the course content for each degree - they will not be exactly the same. What units are available, do they really interest you or is it just the idea of 'that' Uni? Think about the reality of each Uni - there is an enormous difference between being in central London and a very small Scottish town that is miles from anywhere else. Look at the online campus tour films - St A = https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/visiting/online/ and KCL = https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study-at-kings/campus-tours

Right. I'll look into it. Thank you so much!
Reply 5

This is really helpful. Thanks a lot!
This is really helpful. Thanks a lot!

no problem - i spent hours trying to figure out how st andrews worked, so i may as well share the insight hahaha
Reply 7
also - st andrews is in a small town and its a smaller university too (10,000 students vs kcls 30,000) - i think this means the community spirit is stronger
kcl is in London so the opportunities for employment are obviously going to be better, but its also super expensive to live there

Yes! And I have a feeling it is going to be harder to make friends in kcl
Reply 8
no problem - i spent hours trying to figure out how st andrews worked, so i may as well share the insight hahaha

Are you a current student there?
Yes! And I have a feeling it is going to be harder to make friends in kcl

i never liked the idea of studying in london - there be no options of where to stay between terms due to price, and i dont like it much as a city, but i fell in love with st andrews after looking at it for the first time like over a year ago so I'm jealous that you have an offer already hahah
Are you a current student there?

nope, just a very hopeful/mildly obssessed applicant hahah
Reply 11
nope, just a very hopeful/mildly obssessed applicant hahah

I am sure you'll receive an offer very soon. Best wishes!
thank you! lmk which you choose!
and what subject have you applied for?
Reply 13
thank you! lmk which you choose!
and what subject have you applied for?

I've applied for English. And you?
I've applied for English. And you?

nice! im economics

Quick Reply

Latest