The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

UCAS applications for Leeds unsuccessful

Can anybody offer any advice?I was marked unsuccessful for two media related degrees at University of Leeds. I surpassed the entry requirements by far for both and felt my personal statement was super strong. Many people are telling me its due to high volume are deferred entries but found it quite odd considering I sent my application at a fair time - a while before christmas break.I have emailed a fair few people I have contacts for at Leeds asking for feedback, anybody got any other suggestions?

UPDATE: To let you guys know, Leeds contacted me back today! It was a mistake, thank god! They were supposed to accept me for one and then decline the other but there was a mix-up and they both got rejected. All sorted now and I am very happy. Thanks for everyone's help.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by s14n.l
Can anybody offer any advice?I was marked unsuccessful for two media related degrees at University of Leeds. I surpassed the entry requirements by far for both and felt my personal statement was super strong. Many people are telling me its due to high volume are deferred entries but found it quite odd considering I sent my application at a fair time - a while before christmas break.I have emailed a fair few people I have contacts for at Leeds asking for feedback, anybody got any other suggestions?

erm apart from calling them up and emailing idk what else u can do rn
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
this sounds weird, im so sorry they didnt give you a place! :frown: what subjects did u do, and what grades did you have ?
if the personal statement was focused on media i really dont know whyd theyd reject you, but apparently due to the increase in applications this year its been very competitive all around :frown:
Reply 3
Original post by Wesxmm
erm apart from calling them up and emailing idk what else u can do rn

They are out of office currently, I think due to COVID so there is no quick way to get in touch via phone, I've sent a fair few emails so hopefully will get a response.
Reply 4
Original post by s14n.l
They are out of office currently, I think due to COVID so there is no quick way to get in touch via phone, I've sent a fair few emails so hopefully will get a response.

good luck also look for alternatives
Reply 5
Original post by casabonita
this sounds weird, im so sorry they didnt give you a place! :frown: what subjects did u do, and what grades did you have ?
if the personal statement was focused on media i really dont know whyd theyd reject you, but apparently due to the increase in applications this year its been very competitive all around :frown:

Aw thank you, I took Media Studies, Geography and Psychology, predicted AAA, the entry requirements were ABB and AAB.
Reply 6
Original post by s14n.l
Aw thank you, I took Media Studies, Geography and Psychology, predicted AAA, the entry requirements were ABB and AAB.

oooh nice subjects i also do geography (predicted B tho), its probably a mistake or something but are there are any other unis ur considering in case leeds still dont budge?
Ultimately, only Leeds can tell you. At a guess, I’d perhaps say your personal statement wasn’t specific enough to the course, or maybe your predicted grades don’t seem realistic for you to achieve based off your previous grades? Or it could also be an error. As I say, it’ll be a case of wait and see what the uni say.

Have you got any other offers yet? :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Wesxmm
oooh nice subjects i also do geography (predicted B tho), its probably a mistake or something but are there are any other unis ur considering in case leeds still dont budge?

I also applied at Leicester, Lboro and UWE, however I overconfidently assumed I'd be fine getting to Leeds, thats why I applied to two similar degrees there as extra backup as I love the uni itself aswell as the courses. My other options simply do not match, we'll have to see what happens though.
Reply 9
Original post by BlueEyedGirl_
Ultimately, only Leeds can tell you. At a guess, I’d perhaps say your personal statement wasn’t specific enough to the course, or maybe your predicted grades don’t seem realistic for you to achieve based off your previous grades? Or it could also be an error. As I say, it’ll be a case of wait and see what the uni say.

Have you got any other offers yet? :smile:

Yeah I am very much praying there has been a rectifiable mistake on my application aha! I can't see much issues with my previous grades and I tailored my entire personal statement to those two degrees at Leeds in specific! Hopefully they reply soon.
Reply 10
Original post by s14n.l

UPDATE: To let you guys know, Leeds contacted me back today! It was a mistake, thank god! They were supposed to accept me for one and then decline the other but there was a mix-up and they both got rejected. All sorted now and I am very happy. Thanks for everyone's help.

Hi,

I'm currently in a similar predicament that you were last year. I applied for Film, Photography and Media and was unsuccessful. I believe my personal statement and submitted work was strong and have exceeded the entry requirements + Access to Leeds. When looking at my offer it says unsuccessful but when looking at further details it says 'replying to offers'. I was just wanting to ask who to email about this and how long I'd wait to here a reply.

Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest