The Student Room Group

What happens to private candidates now

I took a gap year becayse my CAG given was not enough to be accepted by any uni's. I was set to do the exams this summer as a private candidate, but now that theyre cancelled what can i do now, taking two gap years is a waste of my life and now the future for me isnt looking to bright, can anyone give any form of advice and reassurance please
Hey I am in the exact same position as you, I saw something today where they still need to figure out what happens with private candidates so hopefully something is figured out, I saw someone put up this video on another discussion and while it doesn’t give a straight answer it gave me slight hope as at least they are acknowledging private candidates, do you have tutoring? Or are you studying by yourself, I know it’s a super worrying time but hopefully we have answers soon https://youtu.be/eU2jW0hEIws
Reply 2
Original post by molly123454
Hey I am in the exact same position as you, I saw something today where they still need to figure out what happens with private candidates so hopefully something is figured out, I saw someone put up this video on another discussion and while it doesn’t give a straight answer it gave me slight hope as at least they are acknowledging private candidates, do you have tutoring? Or are you studying by yourself, I know it’s a super worrying time but hopefully we have answers soon https://youtu.be/eU2jW0hEIws

Thank you for the link, i guess we have to wait till next week for any information about us, seriously this has given me some hope for us. I am studying by myself, and revision has been much better than last year, which is why it's kind of stressful if im not able to show off my true potential. What about you are you being tutored or studying by yourself? and what do you think may be the outcome for us!
I have tutoring for biology and chemistry however I only have 1 hour lesson a week and in that I choose which subject I want to cover that week, and history I have done myself with nothing from a tutor. While the tutoring is helpful when I have it it’s not everyday and an hour a week is useful as I’m grateful for the help I can get I do a lot by myself. I have no idea honestly, were you supposed to sit exams at your previous school/college or at a centre?
Reply 4
I was set for attending a completely different college closer to me just to do the exams as an external applicant but nothing has been payed for yet since exam boards havent started taking in application for our exams yet. Im doing Chemistry physics and maths which is really difficult trying to teach myself since schools closed before term finished so a couple of modules were never taught. Since your doing history how will your coursework or NEA be marked?
Ohhh right that makes sense and yeah those are tough subjects and yeah I was supposed to be doing them at my old school but idk what happens as I thought they hadn’t started entering people for exams so idk what happens now. It’s tough teaching yourself, chemistry isn’t my strongest but I did manage to finish the course at school so if you need help you can always ask although idk if I’ll be much help😂 and my school told me that my coursework from last year can be carried forward I hope this is true otherwise if not then I’m screwed
Reply 6
Ive always been somewhat sceptical when asking for help on the student room since anyone can say anything so don't worry i've got chemistry covered to an extent😂. My practical grades are being carried over so I believe coursework does as well, but dont qoute me on that, lol
Yeah I get you and I really hope so, I never know with my previous school if they give me the correct information
Reply 8
My previous school wasnt that reliable itself if im being honest they once told us we didnt have to worry about covid and the exams would happen last year, its kind of funny how times change
Original post by Sri junior
My previous school wasnt that reliable itself if im being honest they once told us we didnt have to worry about covid and the exams would happen last year, its kind of funny how times change

Yeah my school gave me incorrect information about ucas for applying this year as they allowed me to apply through them but I decided to do it as an independent candidate as I didn’t want it to affect my application
Reply 10
I was really annoyed at my school for my CAG so when it came to ucas i was really reluctant to ask them for help so i called up ucas and they told me to ask the school, i was literally running in circles at that point, turns out the school still had to write my references and send off my ucas. BTW have you heard back from any unis so far and what course do you want to take?
I was set for attending a completely different college closer to me just to do the exams as an external applicant but nothing has been payed for yet since exam boards havent started taking in application for our exams yet.

? It's been possible for centres to make entries since mid November. I'd get looking asap
I was really annoyed at my school for my CAG so when it came to ucas i was really reluctant to ask them for help so i called up ucas and they told me to ask the school, i was literally running in circles at that point, turns out the school still had to write my references and send off my ucas. BTW have you heard back from any unis so far and what course do you want to take?

I sent my ucas off around 10th of December and haven’t heard anything back yet, I’ve applied for physiology/healthcare sciences, what about you?
Reply 13
I've applied for mechanical enginering, but want to do a mechatronics course instead, its a cross between mechanical and electronic engineering, i was thinking i could get in through clearing. I wouldn't worrry about no offers though last year nottingham gavr me an offer at the end of february and i applied on the 10th as well
I've applied for mechanical enginering, but want to do a mechatronics course instead, its a cross between mechanical and electronic engineering, i was thinking i could get in through clearing. I wouldn't worrry about no offers though last year nottingham gavr me an offer at the end of february and i applied on the 10th as well

Ohh ok that sounds interesting and I’ve heard from Nottingham asking for a reference from my old school so I got my school to provide them with one idk whether I’ll get an offer but at least it wasn’t a straight up no
Reply 15
Guess we both got to be optomistic and see what the government say next week or else i think id be more clueless than i am
Guess we both got to be optomistic and see what the government say next week or else i think id be more clueless than i am

Yeah we will have to see what happens
Reply 18
Thanks mate ill pass i signed and will pass it on

Quick Reply

Latest