The Student Room Group

Edinburgh Postgraduate Application Thread 2021

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SR22
That's strange. I'm an international student, but my transcripts and documents are all in English, and they didn't question that. My transcript did have a statement saying that the medium of instruction was English, along with the official seal. Maybe that helped? I'd email Edinburgh and ask them for further clarification

Hmm, does your university falls under the list of approved universities in non-majority English speaking countries? Because mine is not and yes I’ve emailed them saying it’s the official transcript with the official language.
Heyo. Applied to the Integrative Neuroscience MSc about a month ago, been on "Ready for a decision" for about 2 weeks now. I've seen people get their decisions about 2 to 3 days after their status being changed to Ready For a Decision. Mine's been stuck on that since forever. Does this translate to a rejection?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 182
Yoo, I just got a conditional offer from Computer Science. The condition is to have an honours degree of 2.1, which is quite weird since my GPAX is equivalent to that already. I am an international student, btw.
Same boat in addition to the payment of 1500£ deposit. This is going to be a pain since my employer only accepts unconditional offers.Hope we can sort it out fast Let me know if anything comes up with you and I'll do the same Congratulations !
Reply 184
Original post by anaunz
Yoo, I just got a conditional offer from Computer Science. The condition is to have an honours degree of 2.1, which is quite weird since my GPAX is equivalent to that already. I am an international student, btw.

Did they ask you to upload specific documents?
Reply 185
Original post by anaunz

Equivalent is not equal to honours itself, so it is 100% normal and all universities will do this. Just what if your final semester GPA sucks so much and lose you your honour? Thats the thing in concern.
Reply 186
Original post by u.dian
Did they ask you to upload specific documents?

Yep, they did ask about the evidence of it. so I just uploaded my transcript there.

Original post by EricEK
Equivalent is not equal to honours itself, so it is 100% normal and all universities will do this. Just what if your final semester GPA sucks so much and lose you your honour? Thats the thing in concern.

The thing is, my transcript is the final one. I was graduated last year, so it shouldn't be the case there.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Markitty
Heyo. Applied to the Integrative Neuroscience MSc about a month ago, been on "Ready for a decision" for about 2 weeks now. I've seen people get their decisions about 2 to 3 days after their status being changed to Ready For a Decision. Mine's been stuck on that since forever. Does this translate to a rejection?

I’m in the Same position as you. Been on Ready for a Decision for coming up 3 weeks....

Spoiler

Original post by binkycamp
I’m in the Same position as you. Been on Ready for a Decision for coming up 3 weeks....

Spoiler

Sigh. Sorry to hear that mate

Like if you're "ready" for a decision, MAKE the decision. Jesus.
Reply 189
Original post by anaunz
Yep, they did ask about the evidence of it. so I just uploaded my transcript there.

The thing is, my transcript is the final one. I was graduated last year, so it shouldn't be the case there.

If that's the case I think you should upload additional document to prove that your GPA is equal to the honours, like the back of your transcript (does it contain some marking rubrics), or some other proves. Or you can just simply email Edinburgh to ask them about this.
Reply 190
Original post by EricEK
If that's the case I think you should upload additional document to prove that your GPA is equal to the honours, like the back of your transcript (does it contain some marking rubrics), or some other proves. Or you can just simply email Edinburgh to ask them about this.

Ahh, I see. Thanks for the advise!
Reply 191
My MSc International Development application just failed. Although I still have another course application in process, my desire of studying at Edinburgh is now mostly diminished. I think I will now mainly wait for KCL and SOAS's decision before deciding what offer am I about to take (I have got offers from Manchester and Warwick, but I still want to look at KCL)
Original post by EricEK
My MSc International Development application just failed. Although I still have another course application in process, my desire of studying at Edinburgh is now mostly diminished. I think I will now mainly wait for KCL and SOAS's decision before deciding what offer am I about to take (I have got offers from Manchester and Warwick, but I still want to look at KCL)

Sorry to hear that, but did you graduate with a first or a 2:1 if it’s ok to ask? Or is it just a competitive course?
Reply 193
Original post by Norah221
Sorry to hear that, but did you graduate with a first or a 2:1 if it’s ok to ask? Or is it just a competitive course?

2:1, last year's data was a 40% admission rate, I am not sure which part I failed at but I will guess it is personal statement and lack of experience.
Original post by EricEK
2:1, last year's data was a 40% admission rate, I am not sure which part I failed at but I will guess it is personal statement and lack of experience.

No worries maybe they failed one application to make the other one successful! Who knows. You can email them but it says that it will take up to 20 weeks to respond with a reason why it wasn’t successful, anyways, keep your head up!
After 3 months the offer finally come through!!! Hallelujah
Reply 196
Original post by Norah221
No worries maybe they failed one application to make the other one successful! Who knows. You can email them but it says that it will take up to 20 weeks to respond with a reason why it wasn’t successful, anyways, keep your head up!

I have already received an offer for MSc International Development at Manchester, which is one of the best institutions in development studies, so I am not worried about not getting an offer at all. But I am still waiting for decisions from KCL and SOAS, and maybe their offer might change my mind. I still need to wait and think about this but at least I have a decent offer. The reason I liked Edinburgh's international development was its work based project, but I guess it doesn't matter anymore as it was unsuccessful.
(edited 2 years ago)
I'm an international student, applied for MSc Psychology. I was told by a representative that I would get a decision by 5th May, and my portal changed to "ready for a decision" today. How long does it usually take to receive a decision after this update?
Original post by EricEK
I have already received an offer for MSc International Development at Manchester, which is one of the best institutions in development studies, so I am not worried about not getting an offer at all. But I am still waiting for decisions from KCL and SOAS, and maybe their offer might change my mind. I still need to wait and think about this but at least I have a decent offer. The reason I liked Edinburgh's international development was its work based project, but I guess it doesn't matter anymore as it was unsuccessful.

Yes, I believe you will be just fine as long as you have offers from other good universities.
Original post by EricEK

Sorry to hear that. What's your academic profile like, if I may ask?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending