The Student Room Group

Is giving up a GCSE a good idea?

I am really worried about my Spanish grade from my mocks, and since the grades may be centre assessed I am worried it will seriously impact my final grade. Is it better to give it up and get good grades at GCSE in my other subjects or to keep it and get one really bad grade amongst my others? If I do really badly do I have to show it to Universities when I apply if it has nothing to do with my subject?
Original post by honeycomb1
I am really worried about my Spanish grade from my mocks, and since the grades may be centre assessed I am worried it will seriously impact my final grade. Is it better to give it up and get good grades at GCSE in my other subjects or to keep it and get one really bad grade amongst my others? If I do really badly do I have to show it to Universities when I apply if it has nothing to do with my subject?

You have to declare every GCSE grade on your UCAS - maybe talk to school about dropping it? We do have a few students that drop a subject to focus on their others.

Most schools won't let you drop a GCSE. Just try your best in it. As long as you get decent grades in all your others, then one lower grade shouldn't hold you back.
Original post by Muttley79
You have to declare every GCSE grade on your UCAS - maybe talk to school about dropping it? We do have a few students that drop a subject to focus on their others.

Most schools don't let students drop gcse's
Original post by Emma:-)
Most schools don't let students drop gcse's

They do in my experience - parents can request it :smile:

It's not in the school's interest to have low grades.
They do in my experience - parents can request it :smile:

It's not in the school's interest to have low grades.

Every school I've come across does not allow it. Even if parents do ask. People have swapped subjects early on. But not dropped them.
you can prolly drop it if you really want but i'd say only worth doing if it's below about a 4/5 or will take too much work to get to that level. In all honesty the unis aren't mega fussed about 1 bad gcse grade especially if it has nothing to do with the course. Since you aren't doing an exam this year its not really gonna be much work. Obviously i can't say about your specific circumstance but that is how id generally view it
Every school I've come across does not allow it. Even if parents do ask. People have swapped subjects early on. But not dropped them.

my school let's people drop if they think it will help them get a better grade in their other subjects. Most people start out with 10 subjects but many are only doing 8/9 now (obviously core subjects are non negotioable)

I'm a teacher and I assure you it happens in my school and where my son went and in other local schools. Students have to attend lessons but do their own work.

you do have to declare every grade on your ucas, however it shouldn't affect you too badly if you're applying for something that has nothing to do with Spanish. since they're CAG, perhaps your teachers will be a bit more.... generous with you grade, for the schools interest👀but I wouldn't rely on it lol. I doubt they'll let you drop it, so maybe ask for extra help and revision resources?
I'm a teacher and I assure you it happens in my school and where my son went and in other local schools. Students have to attend lessons but do their own work.

That must be the minority then.
As having previously worked in various schools myself, most don't.
Original post by billybob234
my school let's people drop if they think it will help them get a better grade in their other subjects. Most people start out with 10 subjects but many are only doing 8/9 now (obviously core subjects are non negotioable)

Must be the minority then, as a lot of schools don't let you.
Must be the minority then, as a lot of schools don't let you.

No - many schools - you only have to look at the DfE performance tables and the average number of GCSEs taken to see that MANY people drop some.
No - many schools - you only have to look at the DfE performance tables and the average number of GCSEs taken to see that MANY people drop some.

I'm not going to argue.
You know of schools that will let you drop gcse's.
I know of schools that don't let you drop any.
I'm not going to argue.
You know of schools that will let you drop gcse's.
I know of schools that don't let you drop any.

Why not at least look at the data and see that the schools you know are the exception?

yes they do let people drop gcses but not this close to the exams (or what would be the exams)
Original post by Starrynight5
yes they do let people drop gcses but not this close to the exams (or what would be the exams)

We do - entries aren't in yet - after mocks is often time people reduce the number.

I don't think it will impact your grade significantly if at all. Your teachers know your normal work standard and they'll consider everything when giving you a grade - class work, homework, etc. That's what I've been told at least
if depends. my school let me drop german but only because my parents called and said that i was spending a lot of time on it and it was rly stressing me out and affecting my other subjects quite a lot and i was doing 11 subjects anyway so dropping one wouldnt hurt. so id say if you are doing 10+ subjects dropping this one wouldnt hurt and it would give more time to study for the others and youd still have 9+ gcses which is what most ppl have

Quick Reply

Latest