The Student Room Group

thesis statement for eng lit PLS REAPLY ASAP

is this a good thesis statement for violence if not what can i do to improve it

In the play 'Macbeth' the audience is invited to see how violence can affect what you do when you commit murder as throughout the text Lady Macbeth and Macbeth decide to take on violence to achieve the power of becoming king. Arguably, Shakespeare's intention was to illustrate warnings to king James about how he shouldn't follow Macbeth as a tyrant.
Reply 1
Not too sure about this. It seems a bit out there and I think tries to add meaning where there might not be. The play being a warning to the current King seems too much like a conspiracy and I think it would be risky to use it. Of course if there are any teachers on the forum they can give more educated opinions on it, but if I was doing them I'd write about something like the ambition of Macbeth and Lady Macbeth, which is evident throughout the play.
thank you
but do u mind writing one for me just so i have an idea of how to write a thesis statement
Is there like a structure you follow?
Reply 3
Original post by sar23
thank you
but do u mind writing one for me just so i have an idea of how to write a thesis statement
Is there like a structure you follow?

It's been four years since I've done these, so I might not be fully up to date. Would I be right in assuming this would be for one of the 45-mark questions in the GCSE exams? If it is, you'll need to write about a number of points relating to the topic, but they don't all need to prove it right - if you wanted, you could write about things that disprove something. You have some freedom in that regard. These points will be in the form of PETER paragraphs, or the equivalent that you have been taught. That's Point, Evidence, Technique, Explain, Reflection. I'll give some examples below for my choice of ambition. I do not know what question you have been given as a starting point, so this won't be that specific.

Point: Start off with something like "Shakespeare uses [technique] to show the ambition of Macbeth."

Evidence: Now, quote a line in the play that would prove it. Make sure you know what technique is being used in that quote.

Technique: Now explain that technique. "Shakespeare has used [technique] to show [something; this is dependent on the technique]."

Explanation: Now, how does that technique help move the point you made forward? "The audience sees how Macbeth is willing to put his former ally Macduff in danger to fulfil his ambition of absolute power."

Reflection: Ultimately, does the evidence support what you said at the beginning? Remember, you are allowed to disprove your own point, but you need to think about it before you do it, and generally it is more difficult to do this. "Throughout Macbeth, Shakespeare uses language techniques like this to show the continuously expanding scope of Macbeth's ambition."

Remember, you should ask your teacher for more in-depth and professional advice for this. While I did get a decent grade in English and love Macbeth, it's been a long time since I studied it in my GCSE years and so I can't give the most detailed advice.
thx for this but i know hwo to write the paragraph its just the thesis statement that im struggling with
Reply 5
Original post by sar23
thx for this but i know hwo to write the paragraph its just the thesis statement that im struggling with

Sorry, I misunderstood. As I said before, it's been a while since I've been studying for GCSE exams so I don't remember everything about it.

I looked it up here and they say:

"A thesis statement is a short statement (one or two sentences) that summarises the main point or claim your argument is making

You should include the exact words from the question in your thesis statement

Examiners want to see your own opinion: your interpretation of what the author is trying to show

Your thesis statement should also attempt to explain why you think the author has presented their characters in the way that they have: what are they trying to say overall? What is their message?

A good way to think about this is to ask: what is the author’s one big idea in terms of the characters or themes addressed in the question?

Include contextual ideas and perspectives to help explain the author’s intentions

Including the author’s message or one big idea helps create a “conceptualised response”, which examiners reward the highest marks"

It then gives an example paragraph for Jekyll and Hyde:
"Stevenson presents good and evil as a constant duality throughout the novel and portrays it as a natural facet of the individual, which results in an ongoing battle between the two. Stevenson proposes that the inherent evil aspect of man is merely suppressed by society and he attempts to explore the consequences of attempting to separate one from the other."

As I do not know the question asked, I can't help you write one for Macbeth.

Quick Reply

Latest