The Student Room Group

Interview :(

Hi, so I've been invited for an interview at UEL for BA primary education with QTS, and it consist of an english and math test

I understand that the QTS skills test have been scrapped but I'm really worried about the test, especially because my maths skills are weak. I've never been good with tests/exams and I'm not even sure what will appear on the test.

I don't even know how to prepare myself because I'm not sure whether the questions will be similar to GCSE exam questions or just a basic numeracy and literacy test

Has anyone done anything similar? How do I prepare myself? :frown:
Original post by unlovable
Hi, so I've been invited for an interview at UEL for BA primary education with QTS, and it consist of an english and math test

I understand that the QTS skills test have been scrapped but I'm really worried about the test, especially because my maths skills are weak. I've never been good with tests/exams and I'm not even sure what will appear on the test.

I don't even know how to prepare myself because I'm not sure whether the questions will be similar to GCSE exam questions or just a basic numeracy and literacy test

I don't know about this test specifically, but I imagine that they would be testing similar skills that the old QTS skills test did, so you might want to look up practice questions for that.

It seems unlikely they would ask GCSE-level maths questions, since primary teachers really don't need to do that sort of maths as part of their work. However, they'll want to check that you are competent with primary-level maths, as you will be teaching this. I would imagine number skills will be the main component of the assessment.
I have my interview soon and I’m super nervous too. I wouldn’t worry too much about the maths just be sure you know how to work out simple problems as this is what other tests have in that I’ve already done. The test I did had questions in like ‘there’s 5 ladybirds on the leaf, this is only 1/4 of ladybirds. How many are there in Total?’ And ‘they buy two tickets for £50 how much is one ticket’ that kind of thing. Don’t stress about it you’ll be fine !!
Reply 3
Original post by bluebeetle
I don't know about this test specifically, but I imagine that they would be testing similar skills that the old QTS skills test did, so you might want to look up practice questions for that.

It seems unlikely they would ask GCSE-level maths questions, since primary teachers really don't need to do that sort of maths as part of their work. However, they'll want to check that you are competent with primary-level maths, as you will be teaching this. I would imagine number skills will be the main component of the assessment.

Ahh Thank you so much!! this really helps
Reply 4
Original post by Charlltte
I have my interview soon and I’m super nervous too. I wouldn’t worry too much about the maths just be sure you know how to work out simple problems as this is what other tests have in that I’ve already done. The test I did had questions in like ‘there’s 5 ladybirds on the leaf, this is only 1/4 of ladybirds. How many are there in Total?’ And ‘they buy two tickets for £50 how much is one ticket’ that kind of thing. Don’t stress about it you’ll be fine !!

Thank you so much!! this really reassured me. Maths has always been my weakest point.

Have you also applied to same course as me at UEL or is your interview at another Uni. But good luck! for your interview, hope you succeed!!
Thank you so much!! this really reassured me. Maths has always been my weakest point.

Have you also applied to same course as me at UEL or is your interview at another Uni. But good luck! for your interview, hope you succeed!!

Yes the same course at uel got my interview in two weeks. I hope yours goes well:smile:what other unis did you apply to?
Reply 6
Original post by Charlltte
Yes the same course at uel got my interview in two weeks. I hope yours goes well:smile:what other unis did you apply to?

Oh wow, I hope your one goes well! and as for other unis, I've applied to University of Cumbria which is the same course BA primary education (3-11) with QTS and I've had my interview for it already and got a conditional offer for it.

Hi.

When I had a maths test for my interview a few years ago, it was primary school maths questions. Things like adding/subtracting/multiplying/dividing fractions. percentages, decimals, ratio, things like that. I would have a look at the BBC Bitesize website and revise a few of the SATs questions as it helped me prepare for mine.

In terms of literacy, it will likely be spellings and maybe things to do with nouns/adjectives/verbs etc. I had to write a small writing piece for mine based on a question/topic - I think my topic was to do with the importance of ICT in the classroom.

Good luck, I'm sure you will smash it.

Verity :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Kingston University
Hi.

When I had a maths test for my interview a few years ago, it was primary school maths questions. Things like adding/subtracting/multiplying/dividing fractions. percentages, decimals, ratio, things like that. I would have a look at the BBC Bitesize website and revise a few of the SATs questions as it helped me prepare for mine.

In terms of literacy, it will likely be spellings and maybe things to do with nouns/adjectives/verbs etc. I had to write a small writing piece for mine based on a question/topic - I think my topic was to do with the importance of ICT in the classroom.

Good luck, I'm sure you will smash it.

Verity :smile:

Hi thank you so much, I actually had emailed them regarding the test and they said that it is a diagnostic Maths and English assessment, and I have half and hour each to complete it.

In terms of maths, they said it covers a range of mathematics at GCSE level, and they said I don't need to revise for it, what does this mean? should I still prepare beforehand? I'm scared especially because it's at GCSE level, I struggle with exam questions a lot.
Hi thank you so much, I actually had emailed them regarding the test and they said that it is a diagnostic Maths and English assessment, and I have half and hour each to complete it.

In terms of maths, they said it covers a range of mathematics at GCSE level, and they said I don't need to revise for it, what does this mean? should I still prepare beforehand? I'm scared especially because it's at GCSE level, I struggle with exam questions a lot.

Hi,

I wouldn't worry too much else you will stress yourself out. I would still prepare if I were you, just to refresh your knowledge and make it a bit easier for you as it will be fresh in your mind. A lot of the stuff like proportions/percentages/fractions/decimals/algebra are GCSE stuff, so maybe have a look at a GCSE maths paper and go through a few questions and see how you get on. If there is anything you struggle with in particular then go over it a bit. I'm sure the test will be easier than you think, but it is definitely more reassuring for yourself if you have a brief look at the content that could be in the test.

Hope you get on okay with it!

- Verity :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending