The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Imane888
i don't think that ofsted intends on inspecting my old school tbh (I said 2016 not 2017. So why did they not inspect in 2019 then pre-COVID?)

That's not FOUR years :smile:

2016 inspections were due in 2020 for good [not outstanding] schools -
Original post by Muttley79
That's not FOUR years :smile:

2016 inspections were due in 2020 for good [not outstanding] schools -

You said 3 years but tbf my old schools wasn't good
Original post by Muttley79
Good schools are inspected EVERY three years - some Private schools have never been inspected!
Reply 62
I went to a private school (2 actually started off in an all girls school then moved to a mixed one) and I hated it. The worst years of my life have been in private school. I would NOT recommend going, if I had a chance to go back I would have just applied and gone for a grammar school I never would have gone to the school I went to. I got no support with my medicine application and the offer I received was literally because of me and my determination to prove everyone wrong. When I lost the offer in December after taking exams in which I had no support in I got no support or help from my school. My recommendation is don’t do it not if you want to reserve your sanity!!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by angusgmoncrieff
Yes, but you obviously have a far better chance if you go to a private school. That fact is not one to be disputed, just look at the statistics. I go to a top performing private school and virtually everyone I know has offers from the top 5 best unis in the UK.

True but I don't think its about having better chances. Everyone who goes to a private school will care about their education and be expected to go to a top uni by their parents and those around them. State school people don't have the same motivation to go to a good uni but if they did I don't think the disparity would be that big.

Also grammar school vs private school students have similar chances imo. I go to a top grammar school and "virtually everyone I know has offers from the top 5 best unis in the UK." Apart from maybe Oxbridge, our chances of getting into a top uni wouldn't have changed if we went to private schools. If you have the personal motivation (which a lot of state students don’t and a lot of private students do) your school doesn’t have much impact on uni chances.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 64
Original post by Incede
True but I don't think its about having better chances. Everyone who goes to a private school will care about their education and be expected to go to a top uni by their parents and those around them. State school people don't have the same motivation to go to a good uni but if they did I don't think the disparity would be that big.

Also grammar school vs private school students have similar chances imo. I go to a top grammar school and "virtually everyone I know has offers from the top 5 best unis in the UK." Apart from maybe Oxbridge, our chances of getting into a top uni wouldn't have changed if we went to private schools.

I agree with you!! Private school environments are TOXIC they hardly ever support students and basically leave you when you need help. In fact my school in 2020 only got one person into Oxford whereas the grammar school which was 2 hours away from where I lived got 10 students into Oxbridge
Original post by pax_bisonica
and yet so many people on facebook bragging "I went to a top uni even thought I went to a state school and my parents didn't shell out thousands..".

huh?
and yet so many people on facebook bragging "I went to a top uni even thought I went to a state school and my parents didn't shell out thousands..".

bristol isn’t the only top uni out there
huh?

seems that private school education isn't all it's cracked up to be
seems that private school education isn't all it's cracked up to be

Why would you say that? It helps get students into better unis which ultimately lands them better jobs in the future. If someone is willing and able to invest in their child's education why wouldn't they?
Why would you say that? It helps get students into better unis which ultimately lands them better jobs in the future. If someone is willing and able to invest in their child's education why wouldn't they?

I agree with that if there isn't a grammar school they can go to. my comment was directed at you going "huh" coz u sounded a bit dim
Guys when I made this thread I was thinking of top private schools in the UK . I wasn't talking about the failed 7k a year ones which a lot of guys thought I was. sorry for the confusion. I was mainly looking at Westmininster.
The best private schools are worth every penny,obviously that includes Westminster ,Eton(well I would say that) and a few others..through gritted teeth I might even mention the dump on the hump..:smile: ,Muttley did her normal dig at private schools, and somehow managed to get in a dig at Oxbridge as well,priceless.

Now if you ask someone if they know Westminster and they reply "below average progress" and that is the entirety of the reply, then you know they actually know nothing about the school but have managed to find a misleading and perfectly useless stat,so lets give a bit of context,lets look at the schools 2019 results,you remember real exams ..So we have 42% of the upper sixth getting Oxbridge places,mutters will love that ..the vast majority will have sat 4 A levels or pre Us. 76% of A levels were A* or A ,nearly 91% were A*-B, pre u results were similar,at GCSE 90% A* or 9/8,98.6% at 7 or above etc etc...but hey,lets not worry about any of that or the fact its got a good claim to be the most academic school in the whole of the UK,lets say "below average progress" ridiculous..
Original post by Farseer
What she's leaving out, is that the kids at that school do so well at 16 it's virtually impossible to do any better so the progress scores look bad. Nobody outside of education echo chambers care, they have excellent outcomes.

I’ve seen the admissions tests for 12/13 year olds for Westminster. They are doing so well at that age that anything less than stellar grades is a fall back.
Original post by oppiwall
The best private schools are worth every penny,obviously that includes Westminster ,Eton(well I would say that) and a few others..through gritted teeth I might even mention the dump on the hump..:smile: ,Muttley did her normal dig at private schools, and somehow managed to get in a dig at Oxbridge as well,priceless.

What is your reasoning for top private schools being ‘worth every penny’? Genuine question. And a real question for a lot of people.
Well ,its not just the excellent academics,its everything around that the co and super curricular,the fantastic facilities,the networking opps,,but there are very few schools at this level,the vast majority of private schools are not at that level.
I recommend you watch "School Swap, ITV" - it's about people from state and private schools who swap lives for a week and see the differences. The teaching isn't much different tbh, but the opportunities available may be.

My state school is labelled "Outstanding" by Ofsted when it's an absolute $hit show, my HOY asked me if I sat the UCAT (entrance exam for medicine) after we sent our applications off!

Just remember, at the end of the day, the hard work you put in will make the difference, even if you have the best teacher in the world and don't try, you'll fail. So on the whole I'd think that private school is not worth it, if you're proactive enough you can have the same opportunities (if not more) than people who go to private school.:smile:

Now if you ask someone if they know Westminster and they reply "below average progress" and that is the entirety of the reply, then you know they actually know nothing about the school but have managed to find a misleading and perfectly useless stat,so lets give a bit of context,lets look at the schools 2019 results,you remember real exams ..So we have 42% of the upper sixth getting Oxbridge places,mutters will love that ..the vast majority will have sat 4 A levels or pre Us. 76% of A levels were A* or A ,nearly 91% were A*-B, pre u results were similar,at GCSE 90% A* or 9/8,98.6% at 7 or above etc etc...but hey,lets not worry about any of that or the fact its got a good claim to be the most academic school in the whole of the UK,lets say "below average progress" ridiculous..

what paying £30k+ a year for education is worth it? uni literally costs less than this
I think my parents would be happy paying 30 try nearer 45..,not sure what the cost of Uni has to do with it.
I think my parents would be happy paying 30 try nearer 45..,not sure what the cost of Uni has to do with it.

it matters because a university qualification is seen as higher than the qualifications you get in secondary schools and every uni costs the same for home students in the uk
From experience, not at all

Latest

Trending

Trending