The Student Room Group

Geography or Sociology A-level

I've finished applying to colleges a few weeks ago and I chose English Lit, Geography and Music. I'm interested in a career in Law or something english related like journalism. But recently, I've been thinking of switching geography to sociology even though I didn't do it at GCSE but I've heard its enjoyable and I think its more useful for law. So could someone whos done either a-level tell me what they're like and which one is better? Thanks
Reply 1
Hello! I got into a Russell Group Uni for Law (which was top 10 in the UK) with subjects some might consider 'soft' - Eng Lang, Politics, RS and EPQ. I also got offers from all the other 4 law schools I applied to (3 being RG). At the end of the day, for Law at least, I wouldn't say there is actually a definitive list of subjects that they do or don't like (apart from General Studies), so do what you enjoy and don't overload yourself! Law schools want to know that you are analytical, can write essays and have a good work ethic - I would say that only a medical degree is harder. What I would say is important for a law application is showing that you understand the kind of work you would maybe do with your degree. If you have legal work experience, this is excellent. If not, don't worry - some firms are currently offering virtual work experiences! I also did a law based EPQ to try and show this.

If you're thinking that maybe you would want to be a lawyer, you don't actually have to do a law degree - this is a common misconception! In fact, city law firms accept around 50% law students. The other 50% of students they take come from a range of other degree backgrounds. That means that you could do an english degree and then do something called a GDL afterwards for a year to become a lawyer. Here's a bit more about it --> https://www.law.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/law/gdl/. If you're successful in your applications to law firms during your science degree, they will actually pay for you to do this.

Overall, I would say not to panic about applications - it is far better to do what you enjoy (and hopefully get better grades) than worry about what a certain uni may or may not like to see. You're (probably) still young and life has lots of twists and turns! I panicked about what to do when applying for law school and after finishing my degree I'm now looking at totally different career plans. All will work out in the end!
Reply 2
Original post by etc-etc
Hello! I got into a Russell Group Uni for Law (which was top 10 in the UK) with subjects some might consider 'soft' - Eng Lang, Politics, RS and EPQ. I also got offers from all the other 4 law schools I applied to (3 being RG). At the end of the day, for Law at least, I wouldn't say there is actually a definitive list of subjects that they do or don't like (apart from General Studies), so do what you enjoy and don't overload yourself! Law schools want to know that you are analytical, can write essays and have a good work ethic - I would say that only a medical degree is harder. What I would say is important for a law application is showing that you understand the kind of work you would maybe do with your degree. If you have legal work experience, this is excellent. If not, don't worry - some firms are currently offering virtual work experiences! I also did a law based EPQ to try and show this.

If you're thinking that maybe you would want to be a lawyer, you don't actually have to do a law degree - this is a common misconception! In fact, city law firms accept around 50% law students. The other 50% of students they take come from a range of other degree backgrounds. That means that you could do an english degree and then do something called a GDL afterwards for a year to become a lawyer. Here's a bit more about it --> https://www.law.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/law/gdl/. If you're successful in your applications to law firms during your science degree, they will actually pay for you to do this.

Overall, I would say not to panic about applications - it is far better to do what you enjoy (and hopefully get better grades) than worry about what a certain uni may or may not like to see. You're (probably) still young and life has lots of twists and turns! I panicked about what to do when applying for law school and after finishing my degree I'm now looking at totally different career plans. All will work out in the end!

Thank you😊
Original post by dianna3007
I've finished applying to colleges a few weeks ago and I chose English Lit, Geography and Music. I'm interested in a career in Law or something english related like journalism. But recently, I've been thinking of switching geography to sociology even though I didn't do it at GCSE but I've heard its enjoyable and I think its more useful for law. So could someone whos done either a-level tell me what they're like and which one is better? Thanks

I do geography a level and absolutely love it. I really didn't like it at GCSE, but took it because I got really high marks (wouldn't recommend this as a general rule!) but I find the a level really interesting and its pretty easy compared to others tbh. Uni's are quite into geography as well
Reply 4
Original post by not_thriving
I do geography a level and absolutely love it. I really didn't like it at GCSE, but took it because I got really high marks (wouldn't recommend this as a general rule!) but I find the a level really interesting and its pretty easy compared to others tbh. Uni's are quite into geography as well

im more torn now because people have said good things about geography and sociology haha but thanks so much for replying, i think i'll stick with geography because of the university thing.
Hey! I do geo alevel and for me it was meh, I loved it at gcse though. I think it’s because my teachers and the ppts they use and the resources they have is pretty rubbish so I won’t blame it on the subject. But I am enjoying the coursework.
Sociology has no coursework though and it can be hard to do coursework when you have other subjects as you have to do coursework at home etc so think about that.
I’d really recommend you to do sociology as your 4th alevel then you can drop one of either sociology or geography if you enjoy one less or one is harder.
Or you can keep both if you really enjoy them and handle the workload!
Drop your 4th if you want after a month or two to make sure you really don’t want to do one.
Good luck!
Reply 6
Original post by SparkleFace
Hey! I do geo alevel and for me it was meh, I loved it at gcse though. I think it’s because my teachers and the ppts they use and the resources they have is pretty rubbish so I won’t blame it on the subject. But I am enjoying the coursework.
Sociology has no coursework though and it can be hard to do coursework when you have other subjects as you have to do coursework at home etc so think about that.
I’d really recommend you to do sociology as your 4th alevel then you can drop one of either sociology or geography if you enjoy one less or one is harder.
Or you can keep both if you really enjoy them and handle the workload!
Drop your 4th if you want after a month or two to make sure you really don’t want to do one.
Good luck!

I've heard Geography is a more favoured a level by unis and some unis dont even like sociology? I think i will enjoy sociology more but i'm still unsure esp as i haven't done sociology gcse but thanks so much for replying, it was very useful.

Quick Reply

Latest