The Student Room Group

A level options

Thank you for the advices
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by rohima25
SO I AM DOING 4 A LEVELS AND I WANT TO, OF COURSE, DROP ONE I HAVE CHOSEN BIO, CHEM, AND SOCIOLOGY AND MY LAST IS EITHER GEOGRAPHY ( EDEXCEL) OR ECONOMICS (AQA) WHICH ONE IS EASIER (btw my predicted is 9 in geog but am opting for economics instead if its easier)

Please do not type in caps. It's so annoying.

To my knowledge, geography and economics are roughly the same. You technically only need 3 A Levels anyway.
Geography, as you would know, has human and physical elements, whereas economics is more or less straight analysis. If you're more of a person who likes looking at both the science and human side of things, geography is more of your thing. If you like diagrams and writing about theory a lot, economics. It's really more of a preference more than anything else.

If you're applying for something in life sciences (I presume medicine), then the 3 you have should be more than enough.
Judging by your current options I'm assuming you trying to get into med if that's the case I'd go for an essay based subject as that would make it easier. Perhaps you could choose psychology as I think it's an easy A-level and has quite a lot of overlap with Biology from what I hear so that could make them both easier. I'm not sure if med schools would accept sociology as a subject.Though all in all just choose the subject you like as it would be better for you to do something you like ( even if you do something easy the overall experience would just be extremely boring). Anyway good luck with choosing options and I hope you get amazing results in the subjects you end up choosing
I'd drop sociology as your probably going to be strong in A Level Geog.
Reply 4
I actually want to do biochemistry so if I do sociology as my a level is that fine?
Original post by Sigmakernal
Judging by your current options I'm assuming you trying to get into med if that's the case I'd go for an essay based subject as that would make it easier. Perhaps you could choose psychology as I think it's an easy A-level and has quite a lot of overlap with Biology from what I hear so that could make them both easier. I'm not sure if med schools would accept sociology as a subject.Though all in all just choose the subject you like as it would be better for you to do something you like ( even if you do something easy the overall experience would just be extremely boring). Anyway good luck with choosing options and I hope you get amazing results in the subjects you end up choosing
I actually want to do biochemistry so if I do sociology as my a level is that fine?

I'm not sure cus I think not many unis may accept it . Though I'd check the requirements for the course on which ever uni u want to go

Hi @rohima25

I'd recommend looking up universities you are interested in and seeing what their A level requirements are to study biochemistry. From my experience applying to study biochemistry, universities I was considering wanted chemistry and at least one other science A level, but that was a few years ago so the requirements may be different or we may be considering different universities. I'd definitely say my biology A level knowledge has been incredibly useful while I've been studying but I think (assuming it works with where you want to apply), an A level in sociology should be fine! :smile:

Rebecca (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest