will one low mark on my transcript mean I can't apply to Oxbridge for a MA?

Watch
hello5789
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
I consistently get firsts and 2.1s, but in one of my second year modules I got 2.2, quite a low one too :/ I'm in my second year, will one bad mark affect where I can apply for masters, considering I normally get high grades?
Last edited by hello5789; 6 days ago
Bedaquiline
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
It's unlikely to rule you out entirely. It might damage your chances if it's in a topic very closely related to what you want to study at master's, or if it brings your overall grade to below 65%, but the thing to remember is that Oxford - or any university application tbh - is about the overall picture. So consider your strengths and positives too, and see if you can maximise those to outweigh the grades you're insecure about. I really wouldn't worry too much!
Sandtrooper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by hello5789)
I consistently get firsts and 2.1s, but in one of my second year modules I got 2.2, quite a low one too :/ I'm in my second year, will one bad mark affect where I can apply for masters, considering I normally get high grades?
Completely depends on the relevance of the module, and your other grades, as the poster above has said. I got my worst mark in a module which is extremely relevant to my masters thesis. One of my friends had to resit a year, and ended up at Oxford for his masters. They know you are human, so as long as the good outweighs the bad, you should be fine. However, if it's an extremely competitive course, this might knock your chances more.
hello5789
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sandtrooper)
Completely depends on the relevance of the module, and your other grades, as the poster above has said. I got my worst mark in a module which is extremely relevant to my masters thesis. One of my friends had to resit a year, and ended up at Oxford for his masters. They know you are human, so as long as the good outweighs the bad, you should be fine. However, if it's an extremely competitive course, this might knock your chances more.
You said you got the worst mark in a module relevant to your masters thesis, did you do your masters at Oxford?
hello5789
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bedaquiline)
It's unlikely to rule you out entirely. It might damage your chances if it's in a topic very closely related to what you want to study at master's, or if it brings your overall grade to below 65%, but the thing to remember is that Oxford - or any university application tbh - is about the overall picture. So consider your strengths and positives too, and see if you can maximise those to outweigh the grades you're insecure about. I really wouldn't worry too much!
thank you, it is only really one grade I'm worried about so hopefully it should be fine. thanks again
HS98JH
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I just got accepted to a Masters at Oxford despite having a few bad grades in my second year due to bad exam stress, I should add I did graduate with a first with high grades in my third year 😊 So I definitely agree that one or two bad grades won't affect your chances if your academic profile, research experience, etc. is otherwise strong.
Sandtrooper
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
You said you got the worst mark in a module relevant to your masters thesis, did you do your masters at Oxford?
Cambridge, but close enough.
hello5789
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by HS98JH)
I just got accepted to a Masters at Oxford despite having a few bad grades in my second year due to bad exam stress, I should add I did graduate with a first with high grades in my third year 😊 So I definitely agree that one or two bad grades won't affect your chances if your academic profile, research experience, etc. is otherwise strong.
can i ask what those grades were? no worries if you don't want to say, I'm just worried your version of 'bad grades' is a low 2.1 haha.
hello5789
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
oh thats amazing, what was your lowest mark can i ask?

Cambridge, but close enough.
Sandtrooper
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
oh thats amazing, what was your lowest mark can i ask?
Think it was either 65 or 66 in a final year module.
HS98JH
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
can i ask what those grades were? no worries if you don't want to say, I'm just worried your version of 'bad grades' is a low 2.1 haha.
One or two 57/58 grades, I really wouldn't over analyse it though, focus on getting a first and building up some good work experience/research work that's far more important than one bad grade, try to put it out of your mind 😊. Also writing a killer personal statement is very important (Oxford careers website has some good advice https://www.careers.ox.ac.uk/persona...ollapse1543471), just try to sell yourself and your passion for your subject.
hello5789
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
Think it was either 65 or 66 in a final year module.
with all due respect, thats a solid 2.1 mark, there's no reason why that would have impacted your Cambridge application. My concerns have arisen because I got a low 2.2 mark.
Sandtrooper
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
with all due respect, thats a solid 2.1 mark, there's no reason why that would have impacted your Cambridge application. My concerns have arisen because I got a low 2.2 mark.
The point that I was trying to make was that it was extremely relevant to my current thesis, and relatively, getting your worst mark in the module which you hope to base your MPhil thesis on, is not a 'good look'.

If it's just a one off, you should be all right, but as has been mentioned, it depends on your course, the level of competition, your other grades, and what you plan to focus on. I know of people who have got in with the odd 2:2 mark, and many who have a number of 2:1 marks, who have been accepted, but there are so many other factors that it will be hard to predict. Just do your best in the modules you still have to complete, and that will give you the best possible chance.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (429)
51.62%
No (402)
48.38%

Watched Threads