The Student Room Group

Lockdown will end - Everything back to normal in June?

Scroll to see replies

Whittless and Unbalanced looked a bit miserable last night. I'm convinced they would keep us in lockdown forever if it was up to them.
Original post by 04MR17
I'll repeat the phrase used by Chris Whitty when asked sometime last year about the effectiveness of social distancing, masks etc...
Anything helps.

To quote Chris Whitty last year "Wearing a mask if you don't have an infection reduces the risk almost not at all. So we do not advise that."
Original post by DiddyDec
To quote Chris Whitty last year "Wearing a mask if you don't have an infection reduces the risk almost not at all. So we do not advise that."

And he also said we would have 4000 deaths a day without a second lockdown. I don't condone that boy harassing him in the street, but he was right in what he said, that Whitty has lied.
Original post by Megacent
And he also said we would have 4000 deaths a day without a second lockdown. I don't condone that boy harassing him in the street, but he was right in what he said, that Whitty has lied.

While I agree with much of what has been said this point is a misnomer. That was a scenario based on doing nothing. The media just presented it as a forecast.

It's kind of like when Carney predicted the apocalypse is No Deal Brexit occured but he pointed out it was a scenario asked for by the Treasury and not the banks median forecast. The media completely ignored that nuance.
Original post by Rakas21
While I agree with much of what has been said this point is a misnomer. That was a scenario based on doing nothing.

The data did not support the assertion that we could have 4000 deaths a day if we did nothing. That figure was based on outdated information, new data made that older projection inaccurate. They knew this, but still used the 4000 figure as a big scary number to frighten us into a second lockdown. They have pursued a policy of fear, and in my view that's disgraceful.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by DiddyDec

If they do work, why did he say in March that they didn't?

Yes, so exactly as I thought. Chris Whitty said that mask wearing was ineffective at reducing your own risk if you don't have an infection.
However, plenty of studies suggest that mask wearing is effective at reducing the risk to others if you do have covid-19. Including if you are asymptomatic and including if you have no idea you have covid-19. Therefore, mask-wearing is effective at limiting the spread of the virus and reducing collective risk. Chris Whitty has not said that masks "don't help".
Original post by 04MR17
Yes, so exactly as I thought. Chris Whitty said that mask wearing was ineffective at reducing your own risk if you don't have an infection.
However, plenty of studies suggest that mask wearing is effective at reducing the risk to others if you do have covid-19. Including if you are asymptomatic and including if you have no idea you have covid-19. Therefore, mask-wearing is effective at limiting the spread of the virus and reducing collective risk. Chris Whitty has not said that masks "don't help".

Tbh I think he had good intentions there. Masks were in short supply and he didn't want people buying up all the available stock and leaving the NHS short. But as for the 4000 deaths a day, why did he make that claim when he knew it was based on oudated information and the most recent data simply didn't support it?
Tbh I think he had good intentions there. Masks were in short supply and he didn't want people buying up all the available stock and leaving the NHS short. But as for the 4000 deaths a day, why did he make that claim when he knew it was based on oudated information and the most recent data simply didn't support it?

I am unfamiliar with the context and I do not wish to be drawn into a separate discussion to the one I first entered. Thank you.
Original post by 04MR17
I am unfamiliar with the context and I do not wish to be drawn into a separate discussion to the one I first entered. Thank you.

Lol ok :biggrin:
June 21st at the earliest I think you'll find.
The data did not support the assertion that we could have 4000 deaths a day if we did nothing. That figure was based on outdated information, new data made that older projection inaccurate. They knew this, but still used the 4000 figure as a big scary number to frighten us into a second lockdown. They have pursued a policy of fear, and in my view that's disgraceful.

Yes it did. Bearing in mind the modelling was trying to model an unknown pandemic.

It’s obvious that you’re upset about something. Please do tell us why you’re so upset.
Original post by MatureStudent37
Yes it did. Bearing in mind the modelling was trying to model an unknown pandemic.

It’s obvious that you’re upset about something. Please do tell us why you’re so upset.

No it didn't. The 4000 deaths a day projection was based on the number of cases they had at the time. But in the time between them making that projection and telling us, the case numbers had dropped quite a bit. So the 4000 deaths a day figure was no longer accurate, the real number of deaths a day in a worst case scenario at that point would actually be lower. They were misleading people, plain and simple. That's what I'm upset about.
(edited 3 years ago)
No it didn't. The 4000 deaths a day projection was based on the number of cases they had at the time. But in the time between them making that projection and telling us, the case numbers had dropped quite a bit. So the 4000 deaths a day figure was no longer accurate, the real number of deaths a day in a worst case scenario at that point would actually be lower. They were misleading people, plain and simple. That's what I'm upset about.

They weren’t misleading people. They were enforcing a system to reduce the spread of the virus to manageable levels.

It’s a bit like saying wearing a seat belt saves lives. But unless you have a car crash you’ll never be able to demonstrate that.

If you’re a conspiraloon, can you tell me why the government would want to unnecessarily lock the country down at a cost of billions? What would be the benefit of that?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending