The Student Room Group

Spilt water on laptop.

So I had a cup of water next to me and I accidentally knocked it over and it went onto the keyboard of my laptop, instinctively, I put my laptop upside down like an open book and got a towel wipe away the water spilt on the keyboard. I turned my laptop off and just waited. I tried to turn on my laptop and now it will turn on but turn back off again and it’s turned on completely a few times but it won’t stay on for long. Is there something that I’ve done wrong? Or is there something I can do? I can’t necessarily get it repaired because we’re in lockdown. Will my laptop ever work again?
Did you use your laptop to type this?

Spoiler

(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Justaboutalive
Did you use your laptop to type this?

Spoiler

No, I’m using my phone as I always do on TSR.
Original post by DiamondDia
So I had a cup of water next to me and I accidentally knocked it over and it went onto the keyboard of my laptop, instinctively, I put my laptop upside down like an open book and got a towel wipe away the water spilt on the keyboard. I turned my laptop off and just waited. I tried to turn on my laptop and now it will turn on but turn back off again and it’s turned on completely a few times but it won’t stay on for long. Is there something that I’ve done wrong? Or is there something I can do? I can’t necessarily get it repaired because we’re in lockdown. Will my laptop ever work again?

something similar happened to me a couple of times. honestly it's touch and go whether it will start working again after it's dried off in a day or so, i would consider looking at a new laptop. hopefully it wasn't a MacBook or Dell XPS...
Reply 4
Original post by A Rolling Stone
something similar happened to me a couple of times. honestly it's touch and go whether it will start working again after it's dried off in a day or so, i would consider looking at a new laptop. hopefully it wasn't a MacBook or Dell XPS...

Yes, luckily it wasn’t one of those, it was just a £200 HP, I’m not entirely sad or bothered by it as I knew I was gunna get a macbook this year for Uni, but the only thing that makes me feel bad is that my mum got it for me as a present and she’s kinda disappointed, I really hope it works though. Btw have your previous laptop(s) worked after you spilt water on it?
put it in rice (uncooked)
Original post by DiamondDia

I think you should make sure the laptop is fully dried.
Reply 7
Thanks for the responses everyone <3

Quick Reply

Latest