The Student Room Group

speech disorders, talk to me about them! reply if youhaveone or knowsomeone whohasone

Hello, I am a teen living in London and I have a stutter (diagnosed). So for people who don't know what that is, I don't just mean I stumble on my words a bit when I'm nervous, I physically struggle too speak all the time, repeating and/or prolonging sounds in words, struggling to get them out, making weird faces whilst doing that etc... It's not very nice. I have had this my whole life, with some periods worse than others. It's not at its worst right now fyi, and also for background info i have been to therapy). some more background info on me (u can skip this) i am an A level student studying maths physics and further maths, I play the guitar and I do competitive athletics and basketball.

I guess I wanted to talk about it a bit online, I wonder if this may help me.

Now I've heard that about 1% of the population have a stutter, I've also heard higher statistics, but I've never actually met anyone in real life who also has one, or even spoken to anyone who has one (neither online or irl). So, reply to me if you have one and would like to share your experience! or send a private message idk how this app works i got it recently lol.
Also i would love to hear from someone my age (17) who has one or a similar thing. Even if you know someone who has one, like a friend or sibling, I would love to hear from you. I have friends, but a lot of the time I feel alone in terms of this because I have never interacted with anyone like me.

I hope this doesn't get lost in the sea of threads.

Thank you if you have read even a bit of that, and thank you even more if you have gotten this far :smile:
Reply 1
Hey hope you are well!

I also too have a stutter, I'm 19 but have had it for as long as I could talk I think because my brothers used to do my talking for me (they are very loud and also autistic so always interrupted me and chose things for me) this messed up my development of my speech although I can talk very well its the pathway of words from my head into my mouth that's a bit messed up. I too had a bit of therapy but it's gotten worse during lockdown probaly as I haven't really been talking face to face with anyone so my brain is forgetting how to function,so might go get therapy again as I do a pateint based degree and speaking clearly is a vital part of what we do. But apart from the occasional person making light hearted fun out of the fact I've said the first letter of a word 100 times I've never suffered any real bullying (although one could argue this is bullying but it happens so frequently I really couldn't care less about it). Funnily enough it's worse when I've thought of what I'm going to say beforehand so I try and do everything improvised including speeches so I don't think about it, although this also causes me to be a bit too honest and say thing that are prehaps best not said.
Original post by Max1989
Hey hope you are well!

I also too have a stutter, I'm 19 but have had it for as long as I could talk I think because my brothers used to do my talking for me (they are very loud and also autistic so always interrupted me and chose things for me) this messed up my development of my speech although I can talk very well its the pathway of words from my head into my mouth that's a bit messed up. I too had a bit of therapy but it's gotten worse during lockdown probaly as I haven't really been talking face to face with anyone so my brain is forgetting how to function,so might go get therapy again as I do a pateint based degree and speaking clearly is a vital part of what we do. But apart from the occasional person making light hearted fun out of the fact I've said the first letter of a word 100 times I've never suffered any real bullying (although one could argue this is bullying but it happens so frequently I really couldn't care less about it). Funnily enough it's worse when I've thought of what I'm going to say beforehand so I try and do everything improvised including speeches so I don't think about it, although this also causes me to be a bit too honest and say thing that are prehaps best not said.

hey, thanks for replying!
I can relate to what you said, thinking about what to say beforehand can sometimes make it worse very true. Saying things spontaneously can lead to some akwardness haha. Also, I have never been properly bullied either but made fun of sometimes, just little comments, not bad. Lockdown has also screwed my speaking a bit, lack of practice I guess, have found myself not speaking well in phone calls and online school. If you don't mind me asking, what do your parents think about your stutter? Like have they ever tried to help, or have looked down upon it etc... My dad used to get annoyed with my stuttering but now is trying to be somewhat helpful. I don't talk about it much with my parents, I find that a bit akward. also if you don't mind me asking you live in england right? very cool that you do that degree, best of luck with it!
Reply 3
Original post by eimov.hirano
I can relate to what you said, thinking about what to say beforehand can sometimes make it worse very true. Saying things spontaneously can lead to some akwardness haha. Also, I have never been properly bullied either but made fun of sometimes, just little comments, not bad. Lockdown has also screwed my speaking a bit, lack of practice I guess, have found myself not speaking well in phone calls and online school. If you don't mind me asking, what do your parents think about your stutter? Like have they ever tried to help, or have looked down upon it etc... My dad used to get annoyed with my stuttering but now is trying to be somewhat helpful. I don't talk about it much with my parents, I find that a bit akward. also if you don't mind me asking you live in england right? very cool that you do that degree, best of luck with it!

I'm not really that close with my parents but the only therapy I have got was when I was really young like 5/6 so I would say they cared enough that they wanted to fix it, they don't see it negatively in a negative way more of a inconvenience that can be fixed but every time I do it they tell me to go see a therapist, so not really supportive either more just like "it's your problem deal with it" like I said me and my parents aren't that close so it never comes up really. And yeah I get completely the people getting annoyed aspect but glad he's become more understanding and supportive :h:.

And no I am actually from Wales and go to uni in Scotland, although I am probably more English than Welsh :lol: and indeed I enjoy my degree very much thank you!
(edited 3 years ago)
Hello, I am a teen living in London and I have a stutter (diagnosed). So for people who don't know what that is, I don't just mean I stumble on my words a bit when I'm nervous, I physically struggle too speak all the time, repeating and/or prolonging sounds in words, struggling to get them out, making weird faces whilst doing that etc... It's not very nice. I have had this my whole life, with some periods worse than others. It's not at its worst right now fyi, and also for background info i have been to therapy). some more background info on me (u can skip this) i am an A level student studying maths physics and further maths, I play the guitar and I do competitive athletics and basketball.

Now I've heard that about 1% of the population have a stutter, I've also heard higher statistics, but I've never actually met anyone in real life who also has one, or even spoken to anyone who has one (neither online or irl). So, reply to me if you have one and would like to share your experience! or send a private message idk how this app works i got it recently lol.
Also i would love to hear from someone my age (17) who has one or a similar thing. Even if you know someone who has one, like a friend or sibling, I would love to hear from you. I have friends, but a lot of the time I feel alone in terms of this because I have never interacted with anyone like me.

Thank you if you have read even a bit of that, and thank you even more if you have gotten this far :smile:

I am also 17 and have a stutter. I'm happy to talk to u about it if u want.
Random question, are u male or female cuz ive read that stuttering is a lot more common in men.
Btw I have also never met anyone with one.

Original post by Max1989
I'm not really that close with my parents but the only therapy I have got was when I was really young like 5/6 so I would say they cared enough that they wanted to fix it, they don't see it negatively in a negative way more of a inconvenience that can be fixed but every time I do it they tell me to go see a therapist, so not really supportive either more just like "it's your problem deal with it" like I said me and my parents aren't that close so it never comes up really. And yeah I get completely the people getting annoyed aspect but glad he's become more understanding and supportive :h:.

And no I am actually from Wales and go to uni in Scotland, although I am probably more English than Welsh :lol: and indeed I enjoy my degree very much thank you!

that's good to hear. yeah, therapists haven't been much help, when I was younger it was just practicing sounds but that really was helpful, it's nothing like real speaking. Very cool, scotland is very nice lucky you ! nice to hear from you again
Original post by Anonymous
I am also 17 and have a stutter. I'm happy to talk to u about it if u want.
Random question, are u male or female cuz ive read that stuttering is a lot more common in men.
Btw I have also never met anyone with one.

hello. share any experiences or thoughts if you want i am interested to hear. Have you ever been to therapy and did you find it helpful? Also, do you have any speaking techniques to try to reduce it? And do you try to hide your stutter? Do you speak a lot irl or you you not do it much?

I am a girl, Ive heard this statistic that for every 7 people who stutter 6 are boys, so yeah much more common in men. I find it weird that it's been called a 'common' thing when I've never met ppl with it. Are you a boy or a girl?
Also random, do u live in england and what do you study.
i've heard its slightly less than that, like 4:1 men: women but essentially the same thing. i'm a boy. i live in england. i'm in upper sixth and i study economics, maths, physics. i did go to therapy many years ago, i don't remember it that well but i don't think it was that helpful. recently my stammering is getting worse again so maybe i should go again now. also im turning 18 soon so i guess it won't be free anymore. for speaking techniques just breath and speak slowly i guess but it only helps a bit. i regularly avoid certain words or sounds so i guess u could call that a technique. yes i guess i try to hide it and no i don't speak a lot irl.
this is long enough already haha so i won't share any experiences/thoughts yet
i've heard its slightly less than that, like 4:1 men: women but essentially the same thing. i'm a boy. i live in england. i'm in upper sixth and i study economics, maths, physics. i did go to therapy many years ago, i don't remember it that well but i don't think it was that helpful. recently my stammering is getting worse again so maybe i should go again now. also im turning 18 soon so i guess it won't be free anymore. for speaking techniques just breath and speak slowly i guess but it only helps a bit. i regularly avoid certain words or sounds so i guess u could call that a technique. yes i guess i try to hide it and no i don't speak a lot irl.
this is long enough already haha so i won't share any experiences/thoughts yet

yeah yeah 4:1 sounds more reasonable, tbh most of these statistics are just professional guesses cos a lot of people who stutter don't get diagnosed properly. oh that's cool we do similar subjects. yeah therapy seems to not do much. i have heard there are stammering groups for older teens who have it but i have never seen one or gone to one (havent found one in london) , if you can't pay for therapy it may be an idea to look into that? yeah i understand all those techniques i do them too. recently i have tried to speak on the phone more but that is especially hard for some reason atm.
dw doesnt matter how much you write, write all you want i want to hear from you guys, glad to have met some people online now who also stammer. go on and share any thoughts and experiences if you want? one of my experiences is going to a public speaking group. i joined one when i was maybe 13 and went for a year or 2. it was very difficult but did help a bit. there was this kid there maybe 15 years old who took the piss out of it a bit but nothing too bad. i dont really get offended but i feel a bit stupid with it sometimes. i feel like maybe some people perceive me as kinda less intelligent than i actually am because of it? lots of people i have met have openly told me they thought it was part of some form of mental impairment , which obvs isnt the case. Do you get the same feeling too?
also unrelated what do you plan to study at university.
maths and economics at either nottingham or loughborough but ive also applied for degrree apprenticeships.
i find speaking on the phone hard too, for some degree apprenticeships i had to do a phone interview and i did not enjoy them.
and ur question about feeling like ppl perceive me as less intelligent- (btw i hope i dont sound cocky saying this) i am intelligent and am predicted 3 A*s for a levels and am one the smartest people in each of my classes so i dont think people do perceive me as less intelligent. however in classes (especially online zoom classes we have now) i don't answer many (if any) questions even though i know most of them so i could easily see why people might think im not that smart if this is all they had seen of me.
btw i did further maths as last year. are u in yr 12 or 13?
maybe some stories later...
maths and economics at either nottingham or loughborough but ive also applied for degrree apprenticeships.
i find speaking on the phone hard too, for some degree apprenticeships i had to do a phone interview and i did not enjoy them.
and ur question about feeling like ppl perceive me as less intelligent- (btw i hope i dont sound cocky saying this) i am intelligent and am predicted 3 A*s for a levels and am one the smartest people in each of my classes so i dont think people do perceive me as less intelligent. however in classes (especially online zoom classes we have now) i don't answer many (if any) questions even though i know most of them so i could easily see why people might think im not that smart if this is all they had seen of me.
btw i did further maths as last year. are u in yr 12 or 13?
maybe some stories later...

very cool choices. you dont sound cocky dw, i would say i am one of the smartest in my classes too. I have gotten an olympiad in senior maths challenge. i also find it quite difficult in online classes to speal. feels like a recording, and i really cannot speak when i am being recorded. i am in year 12
ok whenever u wanna share is kl
i have also done senior maths challenge and got kangaroo which is one above gold i think. Im not too sure where olympiad ranks but well done it sounds good haha
yes i agree recordings are terrible, i find video interviews horrible which is weird because speaking when no one is there is the only time i dont stutter
i hope u dont mind me ranting but here goes: so for one of the degree apprenticeships i applied for i just had a group interview (where 1 assessor asks a question to 3 candidates and each answer one after the other) and its so annoying cuz i have good things to say or examples to use but i know ill stutter on them (idk if u get this but if im thinking about saying certain words i know ill have a block on them) so then i just say something else which isnt as good. anyway this is really annoying because if i stutter i obviuosly am less likely to get the job and if i can't say my best answer i am also lowering my chances of getting the job so either way its a lose/lose. I don't want to sound like im feeling sorry for myself bc i know generally im very priveliged and lucky but sometimes i just think if i didnt stutter there would be nothing for me to worry about and my life would be so much better so sometimes i just feel like why me but then its like i could be blind or deaf for example which would be much worse so i guess its all a matter of perspective.
i know a lot of that might not make sense but i wanted to rant

Hello :smile:
I have a stutter and yeah
That’s it

Quick Reply

Latest