The Student Room Group

Bullingdon Club and my brother

I've been accepted at Oxford which I am so pleased about however my brother also attends and both my Father and my Uncle both attended. I am fairly certain all mentioned have been members of the Bullingdon Club however it has never been openly admitted to. I know the types of activities that may occur within this club and I am apprehensive of subjecting myself to that environment. Any and all advise would be much appreciated. :smile:
Original post by lottyloo111
I've been accepted at Oxford which I am so pleased about however my brother also attends and both my Father and my Uncle both attended. I am fairly certain all mentioned have been members of the Bullingdon Club however it has never been openly admitted to. I know the types of activities that may occur within this club and I am apprehensive of subjecting myself to that environment. Any and all advise would be much appreciated. :smile:

Perhaps your relatives are the exception, but basically, it's a tiny club of men with personality deficits. Even those students who come across it, see it for what it is and avoid. You should do the same.
I mean it’s your choice really.

Goal in life - being a great person and achieving success. So if you want to join it, go on, but nobody’s forcing you.

At the end of the day, it’s antics have probably ruined it’s reputation causing it to change its manner. I mean I like the whole dining and suit experience, which I hope to experience at Cambridge, but I’m not a big fan of the trashing thing and treating people like **** just because you have lots of money. A lot of people are part of it, but not all probably choose to take part in the crap. So it’s not gonna turn you into a bad person.

If you wanna take part in the dining experience join in, but leave if they ask you to do something you don’t want to do.
Reply 3
Then don't join it.
Original post by lottyloo111

Unlikely (in your brother's case), the Bullingdon club has some recruitment struggles and dissolved in 2017 when the last members graduated and none replaced them. It was restarted a couple of years later, by one of the shadiest people I've ever met, but never really took off and was essentially a bunch of losers.

Edit: there are however, plenty of similar organisations, some even college sponsored...

Edit 2: the vast majority of students will never even know most of these "clubs" exist let alone come across them or have their lives impacted in any way.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
I am under the impression.that it is no longer a thing. It's not even a part of the day to day consciousness at Oxford. The vast majority of people don't know about it and those that do generally do not care about it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending