The Student Room Group

Are any unis that “special”?

I’ve visited quite a few unis, and while there are ones that I like, none of them I have really thought “wow”. I always imagined picking a university would be like wedding dress shopping for some reason, like you’d just KNOW. But I’ve not had that. I wonder if maybe I am overthinking this?

The university I am probably going to go to has a course that I like, is in a nice area, has good facilities, lots of societies, decent accommodation. My brother visited it for an unrelated event a few days ago and thought it was nothing special. Overall I’m wondering if there are truly special universities/ if you found a “wow” one?
Original post by laurie_123
I’ve visited quite a few unis, and while there are ones that I like, none of them I have really thought “wow”. I always imagined picking a university would be like wedding dress shopping for some reason, like you’d just KNOW. But I’ve not had that. I wonder if maybe I am overthinking this?

The university I am probably going to go to has a course that I like, is in a nice area, has good facilities, lots of societies, decent accommodation. My brother visited it for an unrelated event a few days ago and thought it was nothing special. Overall I’m wondering if there are truly special universities/ if you found a “wow” one?

It doesn't matter what your brother thinks. :no:

'The university I am probably going to go to has a course that I like, is in a nice area, has good facilities, lots of societies, decent accommodation.'

Sounds like you found the one!
Reply 2
Personally, I had that feeling from Leicester University. The blend of a traditional feel (including the halls of residences) with some striking, well made, 50s/60s and beyond buildings really appealed to my love of architecture. If I'd gone to an even older university, or gone to a younger university, it wouldn't have had that particular blend.
(edited 1 month ago)
Hi,

If you like the university that your going to then that’s a perfect fit for you. Every university is different, so just because your brother wasn’t keen on it, doesn’t mean it isn’t a great university for you. If you’re still unsure you could always go to an offer holder day/ open day and get another feel for the university? What course are you wanting to study? I definitely recommend joining a society or sports club, while at university, I joined the mountaineering club at YSJ, and it has definitely been one of my highlights while at university.

Suzan - Student Ambassador
Original post by laurie_123

Hiya @laurie_123

I think this is different for everyone and I think although your families opinions may be important to you, you shouldn't base your decision of off your brothers in terms of where you decide is right for you. 'Special' also has a different meaning for everyone so I wouldn't let it put you off : )

It does sound like the university you are looking at has some great features and facilities and societies are really important things to consider. If you are unsure as it sounds you may be I would consider visiting some more universities and seeing whether you like the vibe of any of them and straight away think 'This is where I want to be'. It may be that you don't but I think its worth possibly doing a little more looking round if you are fully convinced on the one you've seen.

Personally, I really had that feeling when I came to EHU where I just was straight away like 'yes this is for sure where I want to be'. It was actually the first uni that I came and visited and I had others that I was meant to see but I just straight away knew in my gut that EHU was the right place for me : ) It also depends what kind of place you are looking for though because for me EHU is defiantly a 'wow one', but it really depends what you're wanting. EHU is really pretty with a lovely campus and greenery and lakes, so for me that was a 'wow I want to go here' but everyone is different. My advice would be to visit different universities Open Days and see whether you find the 'wow' university for you.

If you do want to come to an Open Day at Edge Hill Uni there are some in July : )

I hope this helps,
Katie - Third year Psych student
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending