The Student Room Group

Which a level should I drop?

I’m currently doing maths, biology, chemistry and economics. I want to drop a subject but I’m not too sure which one to choose. I don’t have a certain idea on what I want to do at uni so I’m really stressed about making a choice. Can anyone give advice and help? (I don’t know if this helps but I think I currently struggle with economics the most).
Really it depends on 3 factors:

1) Which subjects you enjoy the most/can see yourself working hardest at
This is the most important because A-levels are very difficult and you need to have a passion for your subjects to get high grades

2) Which subjects you're best at
Useful for going to university and later in the job realm to set yourself apart from other candidates

3) Which subject you pick at university/career path
If you don't know right now, you'll likely pick something you're good at/enjoy and then form a career from that subject
Original post by kelly8758
I’m currently doing maths, biology, chemistry and economics. I want to drop a subject but I’m not too sure which one to choose. I don’t have a certain idea on what I want to do at uni so I’m really stressed about making a choice. Can anyone give advice and help? (I don’t know if this helps but I think I currently struggle with economics the most).

Hi there,

I am currently a student at Portsmouth University.

If you are unsure on what you want to study after A-levels, then I would recommend keeping your options open. Some degrees will require you to have maths A-level such as engineering and technological subjects. Biology and Chemistry is also essential on some medical and science courses. If you have a rough idea of what you enjoy and would like to go into then I would take that into account when choosing.
Whilst economics would help you if you were to take a finance or economic degree course, the course starts from scratch therefore you wont be at an advantage if you don't take it.

I hope this information helps.

Ethan - UOP Rep
Reply 3
thank you so much for the advice!!
Original post by stillcrying
Really it depends on 3 factors:

1) Which subjects you enjoy the most/can see yourself working hardest at
This is the most important because A-levels are very difficult and you need to have a passion for your subjects to get high grades

2) Which subjects you're best at
Useful for going to university and later in the job realm to set yourself apart from other candidates

3) Which subject you pick at university/career path
If you don't know right now, you'll likely pick something you're good at/enjoy and then form a career from that subject
Reply 4
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hi there,

I am currently a student at Portsmouth University.

If you are unsure on what you want to study after A-levels, then I would recommend keeping your options open. Some degrees will require you to have maths A-level such as engineering and technological subjects. Biology and Chemistry is also essential on some medical and science courses. If you have a rough idea of what you enjoy and would like to go into then I would take that into account when choosing.
Whilst economics would help you if you were to take a finance or economic degree course, the course starts from scratch therefore you wont be at an advantage if you don't take it.

I hope this information helps.

Ethan - UOP Rep

This information really helped!! Thank you so much.
Reply 5
For me it's just 1 factor how easily can you get high grades if you enjoy say economics but are getting C's but find maths mediocre but are getting A's stay with maths because unfortunately the exam isn't on your passion on the subject but how easily your pen slides across the paper on the day and unless you're doing a core subject at uni there's most likely not even going to be any relevance from a level or gcse subjects

Quick Reply

Latest