The Student Room Group

English language

Her name was Mrs. Pratchett. She was a small skinny old hag with a moustache on her upper lip and a mouth as sour as a green gooseberry. She never smiled. She never welcomed us when we went in, and the only times she spoke were when she said things like, ‘I’m watchin’ you so keep yer thievin’ fingers off them chocolates!’ Or ‘I don’t want you in ‘ere just to look around! Either you forks out or you gets out’.1
But by far the most loathsome thing about Mrs. Pratchett was the filth that clung around her. Her apron was grey and greasy. Her blouse had bits of breakfast all over it, toast-crumbs and tea stains and splotches of dried egg-yolk. It was her hands, however, that disturbed us most. They were disgusting. They were black with dirt and grime. They looked as though they had been putting lumps of coal on the fire all day long.

how does the writer use language here to describe the Mrs Pratchett?
you could include the writers choice of:
words and phrases
language features
sentence forms

please could someone write me a grade 7 modal answer out I highly appreciate it.
Try this as an opening ...

Contextually the writer firstly uses a short sentence to open the extract. This not only emphasises the in-importance of the character herself but also shows the reader that the writer does not seem to like the character otherwise the writer would have opened the extract with more of a character analysis rather than a common name starter. Futher into the extract the writer describes the character of Mrs Pratchett as a "skinny old hag" illustrating the writers negative opinion of the character therefore highlighting the obvious pathway the extract is going to eventually lead to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending