The Student Room Group

No references to do my masters. What should I do?

Honestly. I got a 2:2 degree. I got 55%. I ended up repeating a year due to mental illness and I'm not close enough to any of my lecturers to ask for a reference. I even got no help for my dissertation and did it all myself within 4 days. I know it was bad.

I'm really wanting to become a social worker. I can't become a social worker or do the masters course due to needing a 2:1. The course says they'd take me on if I had a 2:2 and a master's. So I really wanted to do a master's in a similar subject. However, I need 2 references and I'm stumped.

I messaged one lecturer and said he'd be my reference, but when I asked for a reference letter he hasn't gotten back to me. I only have work experience as a volunteer, however the shop has been closed since lock down and can't ask for a reference letter from the manager.

I'm even struggling to get a paid job. No references to give when I apply. And have only a voluntary job for work experience.

I am stressing out. And I don't know what to do anymore. I find it ridiculous when you need 2 references when you are literally going to be paying for the course anyway.

Has anyone else been in my shoes? Thanks.
Ask the first lecturer again - he's probably just been busy. As for your second referee, perhaps you could ask your uni personal tutor? They should really agree to giving you a reference. I know some uni's have a system where alumni can go through a process of requesting for a reference. Maybe you can try this.
Original post by Kayl9
Honestly. I got a 2:2 degree. I got 55%. I ended up repeating a year due to mental illness and I'm not close enough to any of my lecturers to ask for a reference. I even got no help for my dissertation and did it all myself within 4 days. I know it was bad.

I'm really wanting to become a social worker. I can't become a social worker or do the masters course due to needing a 2:1. The course says they'd take me on if I had a 2:2 and a master's. So I really wanted to do a master's in a similar subject. However, I need 2 references and I'm stumped.

I messaged one lecturer and said he'd be my reference, but when I asked for a reference letter he hasn't gotten back to me. I only have work experience as a volunteer, however the shop has been closed since lock down and can't ask for a reference letter from the manager.

I'm even struggling to get a paid job. No references to give when I apply. And have only a voluntary job for work experience.

I am stressing out. And I don't know what to do anymore. I find it ridiculous when you need 2 references when you are literally going to be paying for the course anyway.

Has anyone else been in my shoes? Thanks.

I know SOAS no longer asks for references as well as Essex. If you have a 2:2, then write a killer personal statement, it does make a difference.

At the end of the day, if you want to do your Masters, nothing will stop you...just give it all you got! I wasn't in the same position as you are, as I did have references but I had between a UK 2:2 and 2:1 due to developing anxiety in one part of my university experience. I ended up working for a few years because I hadn't made up my mind to do my masters yet and I was able to get good jobs (to be fair i'm Canadian, even good employers don't look at your GPA, as long as you have a degree). After that, I applied for my Masters in the UK and got in.

I spent a considerable amount on my personal statement (many professors I have spoken to here had told me to do this) and had my friends who are even better writers than I am, review it. I know other people who have gotten in Uni in the UK with a 2:2. If you have volunteer experience or any work experience, include that in your personal statement and your application. Good luck, and don't give up your dreams!
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending