The Student Room Group

PhD with a 2.2 and Pass?

Has anyone managed to get into a self funded phd with a 2 .2 and Pass? Will work experience in academic research fields like working with academics, good feedback and research events help her application ?
(edited 1 month ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by BlueEyesHypnotiz
Has anyone managed to get into a self funded phd with a 2 .2 and Pass? Will work experience in academic research fields like working with academics, good feedback and research events help her application ?
Were there extenuating circumstances being these grades.
Original post by Scotney
Were there extenuating circumstances being these grades.
Yes spinal injury as well as stomach ulcer and illness especially during lockdown as I completed both degrees during covid and lockdown (BA in 2020 and MSc in 2021)
(edited 1 month ago)
Bump
Hey,

I don’t personally know of anyone who has, and to be honest you may struggle as some unis may consider the grades to be minimum requirements before they consider further elements of your application. However, two of the main components of the PhD application are the research proposal and your research experience. If you have those down, you may still be considered! :smile:

Ensure you have evidence of sufficient research experience, e.g. working as a research assistant, helping on projects beyond your undergrad/masters dissertation .etc. In terms of your research proposal, make sure to consider the potential theoretical and practical implications of the research, but also why you would be the best person to do the research. This will really help you sell yourself as a potential PhD candidate. Also - talk to a range of potential supervisors as they will be able to give you more specific advice regarding admissions processes and your extenuating circumstances!!

Best of luck with everything!
Natalie
Reply 5
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1780724
Have a read through this thread It is old but advice holds true.I will try and get a few responses over weekend.
I'm just about to finish a self-funded PhD, done part-time, with a 2.2 undergrad and a Merit at Masters. I think the two things that got me onto the Masters courses and then the PhD (despite my poor transcripts, which were due to psychosis) were:

1) I happened to have the biggest British 'big name' in my academic field as a referee. I'm told he wrote me a very strong reference!

2) The undergrad was from Oxford. I think a bit of leniency may have been given due to where the degree was from.

Do you have academics with good (ideally strong) reputations in your proposed field of study, who would vouch that you would have done much better, had it not been for your health at the time? :smile:
Original post by University of Kent
Hey,

I don’t personally know of anyone who has, and to be honest you may struggle as some unis may consider the grades to be minimum requirements before they consider further elements of your application. However, two of the main components of the PhD application are the research proposal and your research experience. If you have those down, you may still be considered! :smile:

Ensure you have evidence of sufficient research experience, e.g. working as a research assistant, helping on projects beyond your undergrad/masters dissertation .etc. In terms of your research proposal, make sure to consider the potential theoretical and practical implications of the research, but also why you would be the best person to do the research. This will really help you sell yourself as a potential PhD candidate. Also - talk to a range of potential supervisors as they will be able to give you more specific advice regarding admissions processes and your extenuating circumstances!!

Best of luck with everything!
Natalie
My applications are still with the admissions team and its almost a month now and I haven't been rejected yet. I do have good reference and work experience in research office
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I'm just about to finish a self-funded PhD, done part-time, with a 2.2 undergrad and a Merit at Masters. I think the two things that got me onto the Masters courses and then the PhD (despite my poor transcripts, which were due to psychosis) were:

1) I happened to have the biggest British 'big name' in my academic field as a referee. I'm told he wrote me a very strong reference!

2) The undergrad was from Oxford. I think a bit of leniency may have been given due to where the degree was from.

Do you have academics with good (ideally strong) reputations in your proposed field of study, who would vouch that you would have done much better, had it not been for your health at the time? :smile:

I don't have big names but I do have good references and work experience at the research office. I have also applied at my own university where I did my BA and MSc and worked and they all have a positive view of me when I worked there so I don't know if this will count
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 9
I don't have big names but I do have good references and work experience at the research office. I have also applied at my own university where I did my BA and MSc and worked and they all have a positive view of me when I worked there so I don't know if this will count
You seem to have done everything you possibly can right.It will now be a matter of competition and your supervisors assessment of whether to take you on versus risk of you struggling to complete.
Fingers crossed for you.TLG has given a great answer
Original post by Scotney
You seem to have done everything you possibly can right.It will now be a matter of competition and your supervisors assessment of whether to take you on versus risk of you struggling to complete.
Fingers crossed for you.TLG has given a great answer
Thanks @Scotney

I also hope to hear good news. If not from other universities then at least from my own. But let's see. Nothing I can do anymore
Thanks @Scotney

I also hope to hear good news. If not from other universities then at least from my own. But let's see. Nothing I can do anymore
No problem and fingers crossed! 🍀🤞
Original post by Scotney
No problem and fingers crossed! 🍀🤞
Thank you!

Hope it all works out for you! Hopefully an offer from your own dept. at least will come through :smile:
I got a 2:1 in my BA and a pass in my MA. These were fine for a self-funded place. Your 2:2 shouldn't matter so much if you got onto a master's. You don't need the same skills for a PhD as you do for taught degrees. Taught degrees are about meeting the spec. PhDs are about solving problems for which there is no known solution, usually in a painfully protracted and humbling way. You'll be fine.
Original post by olinejad
I got a 2:1 in my BA and a pass in my MA. These were fine for a self-funded place. Your 2:2 shouldn't matter so much if you got onto a master's. You don't need the same skills for a PhD as you do for taught degrees. Taught degrees are about meeting the spec. PhDs are about solving problems for which there is no known solution, usually in a painfully protracted and humbling way. You'll be fine.
Thanks.
I applied for my applications between. Feb 7 and 12. Havent heard back from any of them. Is this a reason for concern?
Some have April and May starts
@olinejad @The_Lonely_Goatherd @Scotney
Hi guys. I wanted some opinions. Two of the universities I applied to have April starts but I haven't heard anything from them. One of them said they will interview or ask for a writing sample before making a decision but no call for interview even though the application has been with the admissions tutor since 20 Feb.

Have I been rejected?
@olinejad @The_Lonely_Goatherd @Scotney
Hi guys. I wanted some opinions. Two of the universities I applied to have April starts but I haven't heard anything from them. One of them said they will interview or ask for a writing sample before making a decision but no call for interview even though the application has been with the admissions tutor since 20 Feb.
Have I been rejected?
Hey, did you definitely/clearly specify you wanted the April start date? As I imagine for most students, the start date would be in September. They've only had it a few weeks (which isn't a long time in academia/admissions at all!) so I wouldn't automatically assume you've been rejected :nah: That said, they are cutting it fine if you definitely specified an April start date! :eek:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Hey, did you definitely/clearly specify you wanted the April start date? As I imagine for most students, the start date would be in September. They've only had it a few weeks (which isn't a long time in academia/admissions at all!) so I wouldn't automatically assume you've been rejected :nah: That said, they are cutting it fine if you definitely specified an April start date! :eek:
For two applications, yes I did state April. The others are May and September.
On my the main application form for 1 of them , it stated Oct but I did message the admissions saying I chose April start and they said they can see on their system that its April.

For the 2nd application, my 2nd referee submitted her reference on 20th Feb which was a week late after I submitted my application.
@The_Lonely_Goatherd
For two applications, yes I did state April. The others are May and September.
On my the main application form for 1 of them , it stated Oct but I did message the admissions saying I chose April start and they said they can see on their system that its April.
For the 2nd application, my 2nd referee submitted her reference on 20th Feb which was a week late after I submitted my application.
@The_Lonely_Goatherd

I guess it couldn't hurt to make a short, polite enquiry as to when you might hear!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending