The Student Room Group

Should I transfer to IMU MBBS PMS track?

Hey guys
So I’m in sem 2 of undergraduate medicine in IMU, I’m an international student and in local track (meaning all 5 years in malaysia). I’m having second thought if I should change from local to PMS or not.... 😥
it would be great if someone who has chosen pms track can help me guide. Or anyone who studies medicine outside of Malaysia can tell me if it’s worth studying in there. And what happens after MBBS....

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Are you Malaysian or not?

In short summary, if you can afford it, go for the PMS track.
Reply 2
Went to IMU before and did the PMS programme. It's definitely worth it.
Original post by Jckc123
Are you Malaysian or not?

In short summary, if you can afford it, go for the PMS track.

I’m an international student.
Original post by Wing:)

Oh great! Which country did you go to? can you tell me more about what to expect at pms and after MBBS.?
Reply 5
Original post by Aiko chan
I’m an international student.

Then might as well go for the PMS programme. Fees wouldn't be too much of difference (this is in relation to the UK)

Most students transfer to UK medical schools. You'll graduate with the UK medical degree and be eligible for the UK's foundation programme.
Reply 6
Original post by Aiko chan
Oh great! Which country did you go to? can you tell me more about what to expect at pms and after MBBS.?

Sure. Feel free to message me if you have any questions
Reply 7
Sure. Feel free to message me if you have any questions

Hey, mind if I ask you about the IMU PMS program? I cannot find information about how likely it is to actually get to transfer to the UK at the end of Phase 1 in Malaysia. Do all students on the PMS track get to transfer? I dont care about which university I transfer to, just that I do, anywhere in the UK.
Reply 8
Original post by Ledouch3
Hey, mind if I ask you about the IMU PMS program? I cannot find information about how likely it is to actually get to transfer to the UK at the end of Phase 1 in Malaysia. Do all students on the PMS track get to transfer? I dont care about which university I transfer to, just that I do, anywhere in the UK.

Everyone on the PMS track got a place to transfer in my cohort. Most of the places are in the UK so you have a high chance of getting one and everyone who wanted to come to the UK got a place in the UK in my cohort. However, there is no guarantee that you will get a place in the country you want.
Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.
Everyone on the PMS track got a place to transfer in my cohort. Most of the places are in the UK so you have a high chance of getting one and everyone who wanted to come to the UK got a place in the UK in my cohort. However, there is no guarantee that you will get a place in the country you want.

Hi wing, could you provide me information on how many people get to transfer from MBBS stream to PMS stream? My grades only qualify me for MBBS right now and I’m hoping to make a switch over to PMS. If you have any other information about transferring and the process, I would be grateful to know more!
(edited 3 years ago)

Hey i'm having my intake (local MBBS) on the upcoming September and am hoping to transfer to the PMS track. Could you shoot me a message? I'm a new user. I would like to ask more questions about it.
Reply 11
Hi, wanted to ask you, do you get your medical degree from IMU or the PMS?
Original post by Aboodas
Hi, wanted to ask you, do you get your medical degree from IMU or the PMS?

HI!! We receive our degrees from the partnered school.
Reply 13
hi, may I know when will IMU contact me after my interview? I've done my interview last Thursday. A bit nervous and not doing very well....
Reply 14

Hi. I am just wondering how big is the cohort for each intake of the MBBS-PMS. Also do all the UK schools take in an equal number of students (like how many per uni)? Thanks
Reply 15

hi I am currently applying in IMU because my UK chances look really bad I wanted to know once you go to the PMS in ur 3 rd yr does the different education make a difference? Do u get a visa for internship later on?
Reply 16
Original post by cts22
Hi. I am just wondering how big is the cohort for each intake of the MBBS-PMS. Also do all the UK schools take in an equal number of students (like how many per uni)? Thanks

About half of the students end up going through the PMS track. If you enter through the local track and decide to switch to the PMS, bear in mind that you have to have decent grades and might not be able to choose which university you end up in. If it is not a university that you want to go to, unfortunately, there is no backing out. With regards to the numbers, it depends on the university. I transferred to the UK last year, Dundee/ Glasgow/ Edinburgh took around 8 students from each batch. Leeds/ Liverpool took in 4 per batch. Barts/ Nottingham took in 1. The numbers tend to vary each year. Keep in mind that tutition fees are likely to increase in the upcoming years as well.
Reply 17
Original post by ahseniv
About half of the students end up going through the PMS track. If you enter through the local track and decide to switch to the PMS, bear in mind that you have to have decent grades and might not be able to choose which university you end up in. If it is not a university that you want to go to, unfortunately, there is no backing out. With regards to the numbers, it depends on the university. I transferred to the UK last year, Dundee/ Glasgow/ Edinburgh took around 8 students from each batch. Leeds/ Liverpool took in 4 per batch. Barts/ Nottingham took in 1. The numbers tend to vary each year. Keep in mind that tutition fees are likely to increase in the upcoming years as well.

Thanks Ahseniv. If I enter through the PMS track, I am assured of a transfer right? How many students are there in each cohort (both local and PMS)? Thanks.
Reply 18
Original post by ahseniv

Do those students in the pms track have to do ucat and go through medical interview with the foreign uni again?
Original post by ReenM
Do those students in the pms track have to do ucat and go through medical interview with the foreign uni again?

no, as long as you have passed your exams.

Latest

Trending

Trending