MPhil/DPhil applicants of Oxford ODID

Watch
RStudent1
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Jonsmithpoole)
I didn't contact a supervisor for mphil development studies- I believe the application page advises us not to contact anyone as they assign them in the second year i think. In terms of my background- currently in my final year of studies at oxbridge, with a years work experience from before university (no development specific experience unfortunately). First year I received a 2.1, second year I received a 1st. Kinda worried about my written samples but hopefully they're of a decent standard. My research interests are mainly around natural resource development and sustainable development debates. I'm also very much dependent on receiving full funding- even if I get in, if I don't get a scholarship then I won't be able to take up the offer. Upsetting but I guess that's the harsh reality of academia at this stage of study.

Look forward to hearing from others!
I am in the same boat funding wise, even though I have been working for a while I think it is underestimated how hard it is to self fund without any support from elsewhere. I hope you get in and the funding! Have you been looking at funding outside of Ox' would highly recommend this, they're often means tested looking at your background when you were in school (so don't worry if you're working now), also funding can be obtained from research centres (this is much harder and I think you need an offer from Ox' before you can approach them). I hope this is of use but please don't be shy from trying to get funding, it's there for a reason and too many good candidates who really need them each year tend not to
Last edited by RStudent1; 3 weeks ago
RStudent1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Daisy2021)
what do you mean by "they're normally quick to reject so"?
I don't know if this is the case for Ox' but from what I have heard that PhDs are very cut throat in the application process- I have a friend who got a few rejections in Feb' (but not sure where she applied). Apparently people normally get offers in their second/third year of applying because it is quite competitive but I don't know how true this is...
Last edited by RStudent1; 3 weeks ago
MigrationStation
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Thumbs up if you're dreading trying to get through the night without hearing a 2am email ping lol
RStudent1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by MigrationStation)
Thumbs up if you're dreading trying to get through the night without hearing a 2am email ping lol
Honestly if they haven't removed the upload docs button I don't think anything will happen but it has become a bit of an unhealthy habit this week, so I will probably check lol...also just out of sheer curiosity, yesterday nothing happened on grad cafe and I was like I am not sure if I'm grateful or more stressed out!
MigrationStation
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by RStudent1)
Honestly if they haven't removed the upload docs button I don't think anything will happen but it has become a bit of an unhealthy habit this week, so I will probably check lol...also just out of sheer curiosity, yesterday nothing happened on grad cafe and I was like I am not sure if I'm grateful or more stressed out!
Haha I can relate!! All this refreshing and confusion about uploading on the official thread has had me way more stressed out. Btw my uploads doc button did get removed this morning but maybe that was just for migration applicants?
RStudent1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Haha I can relate!! All this refreshing and confusion about uploading on the official thread has had me way more stressed out. Btw my uploads doc button did get removed this morning but maybe that was just for migration applicants?
Right?! Ahh I see, then I totally get it - fingers crossed for you! Will probably be awake for support Ya, I don't believe any MPhil for DS have had theirs removed
MigrationStation
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Right?! Ahh I see, then I totally get it - fingers crossed for you! Will probably be awake for support Ya, I don't believe any MPhil for DS have had theirs removed
thanks!!
DevEd_2021
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
so true hahaha, feel like I'm a maniac at this point XD
travelingcat005
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Mine got removed this morning for Refugee and Forced Migration Studies. Stalking this thread as a ODID applicant
Daisy2021
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I still have the upload button, and I start to doubt if we can get results by this week.
ODIDDphil
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I still have the upload button, and I start to doubt if we can get results by this week.
So do I and I am also waiting on a response for the Dphil ID 😊 hang in there
Daisy2021
Rep:
?
(Original post by ODIDDphil)
We applied to the same course
Daisy2021
Rep:
?
(Original post by ODIDDphil)
We applied to the same course
Were you interviewed by ODID for this application?
ODIDDphil
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Were you interviewed by ODID for this application?
No interview, but apparently it is not standard for this course so not too fazed by it 😊
Daisy2021
Rep:
?
ODIDDphil and Dosoy , we three applied to the same course, DPhil in ID
Daisy2021
Rep:
?
Who else applied to DPhil in International Development?
RStudent1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Who's feeling fatigued by this process, guessing nobody has heard anything or any changes?
Jonsmithpoole
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Who's feeling fatigued by this process, guessing nobody has heard anything or any changes?
Haven’t heard anything yet- feel like I should just stop checking now, especially if news will arrive tomorrow regardless
RStudent1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Jonsmithpoole)
Haven’t heard anything yet- feel like I should just stop checking now, especially if news will arrive tomorrow regardless
Yes I agree (really curious to know the stats from this years apps to see how covid impacted apps combined with brexit changing fees for eu students)
Dosoy
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
ODIDDphil and Dosoy , we three applied to the same course, DPhil in ID
Yes I did apply to Dphil in International Development
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What would make a great online university open day?

Virtual campus tour (68)
18.53%
Virtual accommodation tour (53)
14.44%
Find out about sports clubs, societies and facilities (17)
4.63%
Video content about the local area (4)
1.09%
Webinars with lecturers (11)
3%
Taster lectures or seminars (79)
21.53%
Speak to current students studying my course (84)
22.89%
Speak to current students about the uni in general (16)
4.36%
Fun online activities or experiences (13)
3.54%
Connecting with careers services or employers (8)
2.18%
Info about student wellbeing and support services (6)
1.63%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (8)
2.18%

Watched Threads