The Student Room Group

Rent due 3 months before my maintenance comes through, what can I do?

My maintenance barely pays for my rent right now, and that's why my flatmates and I are moving out. I get at least £10 to live off after I've paid my rent semester wise.

However, I was signing the forms for out new housing and they expect us to pay 3-4 months in advance before any of my maintenance comes through and I have no idea how to afford it; because of the pandemic I couldn't get a job, and even if i do get one now, there is no way I'd make £1500-£2000 in 3-4 months. I'm really at a loss and I don't know what to do?

I also don't get why private accommodations do this if they knew they are letting to students?

Is there anything I can do to help with this?
Sorry to hear you're in such a tough situation :frown:

Does your uni offer hardship funding ? It might be worth having a look on their website. If not, I know universal credit have emergency loans available for situations like this but I'm not sure if you'll be eligible as a student.

I'm also not entirely sure if the landlord should be asking for rent in advance - a down payment or deposit is one thing but it normally isn't any more than £200. Student unions are normally pretty good for landlord advice and the legal side of it all, maybe give them an email.

I hope it all gets sorted for you ASAP, let us know how you get on !!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending