The Student Room Group

Can Someone Get SFE If They’re Repeating Half A Year, Due To Extreme Health Reasons?

Hi, I need some advice.

A lovely person had to take complete absence from their course half way through the 22/23 academic year to the end of the year due to extreme health reasons (brain tumour), causing them to only complete 60 credits out of 120 credits.

They have now been awarded an extra year (technically just 4-5 months out of the 9 month academic year) to complete the last two units/modules that they missed out on during their absence last year (the remaining 60 credits). They’ll be resuming in March 2024.

Unfortunately they’ve been told that they aren’t eligible for Maintenance Loan, even though they had a VALID reason for not completing the previous academic year.

Please is there a way this could be wrong? Is there some way they could still get ML to help them at least from March through to June? They currently live alone in London, while currently having to work a full time job (even more strenuous for someone with a brain tumour), just to be able to pay rent and other bills.

If not ML, is there possibly another form of maintenance (sort of) funding they could receive once they resume back full time at uni in March 2024?

Please help!
Hi there,

They would be best starting a Live Chat on their account or calling us so that an adviser can check to see why they have been made ineligible.

https://logon.slc.co.uk

0300 100 0607

Thanks, Clare
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Clare
Hi there,

They would be best starting a Live Chat on their account or calling us so that an adviser can check to see why they have been made ineligible.

https://logon.slc.co.uk

0300 100 0607

Thanks, Clare

Please would it be possible to know what options they can receive based on the general information I provided?
I wouldn’t want them to exert more stress on themselves, incase they get rejected again.

I’m more looking for possible options they could explore/receives, to instil even a glimmer of hope that can motivate them to reapply for ML before the April pay.
Original post by Ellie_Keen
Please would it be possible to know what options they can receive based on the general information I provided?
I wouldn’t want them to exert more stress on themselves, incase they get rejected again.

I’m more looking for possible options they could explore/receives, to instil even a glimmer of hope that can motivate them to reapply for ML before the April pay.

Hi Ellie,

What course and university are they study with? Will they be classed as in attendance? How many years previous study do they have?

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 4
Original post by Claire SFE
Hi Ellie,

What course and university are they study with? Will they be classed as in attendance? How many years previous study do they have?

Thanks,
Claire

Hi Claire,

They do an art/design degree at UAL. They will be classed as in attendance from March 2024, as they’ll be in full-time study from March to June 2024.
They’ve only done two years of study.
Original post by Ellie_Keen
Hi Claire,

They do an art/design degree at UAL. They will be classed as in attendance from March 2024, as they’ll be in full-time study from March to June 2024.
They’ve only done two years of study.

Hi Ellie,
Did the student get an email explaining why they were not eligible for the Maintenance Loan? Thanks, Ross

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending