The Student Room Group

How can I afford to go to university as a mature student?

I will hopefully be doing mental health nursing. I know this means I will probably get a bursary, but will this not reduce my maintenence loan? Even if I am entitled to the full maintenance loan that is only £800 something a month. That will just cover my rent. Maybe, I will get a part time job, or do bank shifts. I don't feel like that will be enough though. Help!

I've seen so many other people do it, but how?
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by KeziaF
I will hopefully be doing mental health nursing. I know this means I will probably get a bursary, but will this not reduce my maintenence loan? Even if I am entitled to the full maintenance loan that is only £800 something a month. That will just cover my rent. Maybe, I will get a part time job, or do bank shifts. I don't feel like that will be enough though. Help!

If you plan to study at a uni in England, you would be eligible to apply to the NHS Learning Support Fund for an annual training grant of £5,000 per year. This will not reduce your maintenance loan. More info here:

https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/nhs-learning-support-fund-lsf
Original post by KeziaF

Hey @KeziaF 👋

I'm a mature student studying applied biomedical science. I live alone so I qualify for the full maintenance loan and as a full time student I don't have to pay council tax which is great to bring bills down. I did find that with everything, my maintenance loan just about covered my rent and bills and not much else.

I worked 2 part time jobs through my studies which is challenging but doable. I had a great relationship with a hotel I worked for that supported me working every weekend, with a weekend off a month and would let me pick up extra shifts during holidays. I could communicate my needs with them and take extra time off, both unpaid and accrued holidays during exam seasons.

I also took on the role of student ambassador during my second year of uni and I wish I'd done it in first year as well because I love how flexible it is and can work casual hours to fit in around lectures.

I found that a regular income of around 1-2 days per week topped up my maintenance loan and I've been able to live and save some money to go towards my unpaid placement year

You get 3 installments of your maintenance loan, usually paid around September, January and April. At the start of each year I calculate my 12 month budget as I'm terrible with money lol. I have two bank accounts and each month I direct debit "pay myself". This helps me to separate as it's surprisingly easy to blow through 3 grand if its just sitting in your bank account!

You would hopefully qualify for the NHS Learning Support Fund bursary studying nursing, and this doesn't affect your maintenance loan entitlement so this would go towards your budget as well.

Best of luck and I hope you can make things work, it's definitely worth it!

Essex Student Rep - Hayley
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by EssexStudentRep

You would hopefully qualify for the NHS bursary studying nursing, and this doesn't affect your maintenance loan entitlement so this would go towards your budget as well.

Just to clarify, the NHS bursary is for medics and dentistry student only. It is the NHS Learning Support Fund that offers support for nursing students (and other AHP courses) in England.
Reply 4
Im doing mental health nursing as a mature student and get full loan (which this year is about 12300) and the 6k nhs grant so it works out about £1500 a month.

You may also be elligable for burseries from your uni depending on your circumstances.

You also get eithe free or reduced council tax which helps save money, again depends on your circumstances.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending