The Student Room Group

i want to become an actress but not sure which gcses to chose...

i would like to be an actress but im not really sure on what gcses i should chose. i was considering to have dance and drama because im pretty good at those subjects. i was also considering media studies and sociology but im only alowed to chose 2 extra gcses alongside the core gcses. i have to chose by monday so in 3 days and im kinda freaking out. im scared that i will make the wrong choices. please can someone help me chose and add your opinion in the comments. it would be appreciated. thanks.
gcses barely matter for academically selective careers, acting definitely does not care

pick ones you enjoy and/or will succeed in
Reply 2
Drama would give you a foundation of acting skills and writing monologues, giving you more skills to put on a CV more than dance probably would. If you did media studies or sociology, it would give you a foundation for an alternative career path in case you change your mind with acting.

I picked mine based off things I enjoyed at the time and didn't regret it, so if it comes to it, just pick the subjects you enjoy the most!
Hope that helps xx
Reply 3
Original post by Natalie136
i would like to be an actress but im not really sure on what gcses i should chose. i was considering to have dance and drama because im pretty good at those subjects. i was also considering media studies and sociology but im only alowed to chose 2 extra gcses alongside the core gcses. i have to chose by monday so in 3 days and im kinda freaking out. im scared that i will make the wrong choices. please can someone help me chose and add your opinion in the comments. it would be appreciated. thanks.

Hiii, to be an actress, your GCSEs or A levels or even degrees do not matter, i always want you to remember this, what most aspiring actresses do is try doing a degree or college course on drama or acting when its not needed at all!

As far as GCSEs, well if you do Drama and Dance, that would be good as I bet you really enjoy them and you are an aspiring actress, but its not really necessary, you can literally get grade 1s in your GCSEs and still be a actress or even drop out!

Its up to you but im just saying that if you want to be an actress it does not matter at all, although if you do dancing and drama it will help you but it is not a necessity

Another thing I would like to add is PLEASE do not do any courses or degrees after high school/ gcses, they are a waste of your time and instead try finding out what the process is!

If you want my opinion then I would definetly recommend Drama and Dance but it wont make a difference if you chose sociology, it is all your choice!

So just a quick story of mine, my friend from high school done combined science, geography, R.S and business, and he literally failed all his GCSEs I mean he did not even try, he was an aspiring actor from Year 7 and my school did not do any of the drama,dance,D.T etc only academic subjects, during his High School period he used to go to this thing to learn acting and after he finished GCSEs and got grade 1s and 2s and after he finished GCSEs he just went audition in a lot of places, he was really motivated and believed in himself, there came a time when people started doubting and said he can never be an actor and now..

Most of you guys will not believe it, well then don't because I just want to help, he has got a role in EastEnders and I am not going to say his name or anything as that's just kind of funny, he has one of the main roles he earns 60,000 pounds a year from them and I would love to say his name but he made me promise not to tell his story to anyone as I was his best friend and still am to this day!

My main point it does not matter at all what you do just have a passion and you will do great! Good Luck for your career, hope you become a actor! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest