The Student Room Group

How to be a software tester???

I Chose to be a software tester bc I just find software engineering hard and don’t like writing loads of toones of code which don’t even know how to even write and wanna be one (software tester) because just bc I like to fix errors of code and debug but how do I become one a software tester and how long does it take to become one if don’t have a degree and wanna become one without one and a beginner can you give me a study plan with resources and a timeline that could help hopefully thanksss???
Original post by aryc_30
I Chose to be a software tester bc I just find software engineering hard and don’t like writing loads of toones of code which don’t even know how to even write and wanna be one (software tester) because just bc I like to fix errors of code and debug but how do I become one a software tester and how long does it take to become one if don’t have a degree and wanna become one without one and a beginner can you give me a study plan with resources and a timeline that could help hopefully thanksss???

Do it because you enjoy it, not because you are running away from something else (writing code)
Let us work backwards, what are you current qualifications? Nvm, saw your profile, you are starting gcse
Doing a computer science related degree will help, also degree apprenticeships could exist in that role
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/software-tester
you will need a degree
Do you have other aspirations. Why do you want to be a software tester? Because I dont want to do ___. This is not an answer
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by aryc_30

Your in year 9, don't jump the gun just yet
You will need the finish your gcse’s. Chose your A Level Options.
think about your potential future career, after your gcse exam, in those summer holidays. Right now, your motivation to be a software tester is too weak
(edited 8 months ago)
Calm down bruv you're in year 9. You have 4 more years to learn to code.
FYI, 'software tester' isn't a job you can apply for, it's normally junior Software Engineers who get stuck writing test functions.
Try making a Minecraft mod or something.
Original post by Meltboy7778
FYI, 'software tester' isn't a job you can apply for, it's normally junior Software Engineers who get stuck writing test functions.

I was confused when I saw the profile posts, was like choosing gcse options… and asking about a degree…
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Meltboy7778

This is blatently not true. SDET (Software Development Engineer in Test) is a position that exists in the big tech companies. It's mostly scripting tests and debugging code, there's not an easy path from that into normal SDE though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending