1. Why did you choose it?
2. How do you find the workload?
3. What is your Predicted Grade?
4. Do you like English?
5. What is your Exam Board?
6. What texts are you studying?
7. What is your favourite text?

Hi! I’m in Y13 right now doing English.
I would say I chose it because it was one of my strongest subjects at GCSE level and one of the few subjects I naturally enjoyed / felt I was confident in. I thought it would be a good choice alongside biology and chemistry as I’ve gone down the med route.
The workload in Y12 was honestly minimal but it definitely stepped up a lot this year, especially with NEA - I would say workload does depend on the exam board you do and whether your teachers are completing content on time.
My predicted grade is A* and I do Edexcel - my texts are Tess of the D’Urbervilles, A Thousand Splendid Suns, Othello, The Importance of Being Earnest, and for poetry it is the mandatory edexcel poems of the decade anthology + the modernist anthology.
I would definitely recommend taking english only if you genuinely enjoy it and you don’t mind writing essays, etc because it can become tedious to prepare for if you don’t have the passion for it. Overall it is a varied a level and as long as you keep up with your texts as they’re being taught and you don’t procrastinate your NEA you’ll probably be in a good position - personally I don’t think english is as demanding as some other a levels are.
Original post by Kymarnii
Can anyone studying this subject, please answer the Questions below:
4. Do you like English?

Hi, currently in yr13 and doing Edexcel!
1- I chose it because I enjoyed the discussion element of GCSE which (in my experience) is enhanced at A-level
2- It's a lot of work this year due to increased revision essays and coursework deadline but is still manageable and wasn't too bad in yr12
3- I'm predicted an A
4- Yes! Would definitely recommend if you enjoy it currently and are happy to put the work in
5- Edexcel
6- I study In Cold Blood, Lady Audley's Secret, Othello, A Streetcar Named Desire and The Romantics poetry
7- My favourite is Streetcar but I also love Othello (I also study drama so it helps when studying plays)

Hope this is helpful!!

Original post by Kymarnii
Can anyone studying this subject, please answer the Questions below:
4. Do you like English?

Year 13 studying lit here!

I chose it because I really enjoyed it at GCSE and I did well in it, and also because I love reading!

It's quite a lot, I'm most behind on lit revision and there's so much to learn and retain, but considering that we get all texts but Othello in the exam it's a bit lighter!

My predicted grade is an A

I'm about to be really honest... not really haha. I like studying the texts and doing in class debates but I hate writing the essays - too many assessment objectives and I find it hard to make sure I'm covering them all whilst writing a good essay!

My exam board is AQA

Paper 1 - Othello, Gatsby, AQA set poetry anthology Paper 2 - Up the Line to Death poetry anthology, All Quiet on the Western Front, Wipers Times

My favourite text is All Quiet, I like how harrowing it is and I just find it the most interesting and engaging

Quick Reply

Latest