The Student Room Group

best a levels for psychology?

I chose my a levels a few months ago and i chose english lit, psychology and philosophy. I want to study psychology at university but i’m more inclined to go down the education, cbt route rather than neuroscience. I applied to 3 schools and at 2 of the schools i am unable to do one of the subjects due to oversubscription or getting rid of the subject. I now have 3 offers from 3 different schools. Which one would be best to take?

Option 1: Psychology, Philosophy, Sociology
Option 2: English lit, Psychology, Biology
Option 3: English lit, Psychology, Philosophy

Thanks
Original post by isabella829138
I chose my a levels a few months ago and i chose english lit, psychology and philosophy. I want to study psychology at university but i’m more inclined to go down the education, cbt route rather than neuroscience. I applied to 3 schools and at 2 of the schools i am unable to do one of the subjects due to oversubscription or getting rid of the subject. I now have 3 offers from 3 different schools. Which one would be best to take?
Thanks

@isabella829138
it's difficult because i take psychology and sociology and they do have their links! however, taking psychology and biology is probably more useful as there is quite a lot of biology in psychology, and it may help with your degree.

it may be more useful to take a look at The Uni Guide's A Level Explorer where you can input each of these options and see which degrees tailor to you most! good luck, and let me know if you have any further questions!
Original post by isabella829138
Thanks

@isabella829138
Hi Isabella

I've just finished my MSc in Psychology, and work in education.

Psychology degree's often have flexible entry criteria, for some providers you don't even need to have done psychology at A level to get on, although obviously for you Psychology would be the first one on the list. If you wanted to go down the CBT route you and become a counsellor it might be best looking at the website for the British association for Counselling and Psychotherapy https://www.bacp.co.uk/careers/careers-in-counselling/training/
they have a recommended route into the field.

if you want to become a fully qualified 'psychologist' you need to do doctorate level study which for some can take 7 years if you do the masters after the degree. The key thing with that route is making sure the courses are fully accredited with the British Psychological Society

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest