The Student Room Group

Organic chemistry 1 -urgent

Hello
My teacher has just finished teaching organic chemistry part one I am on edexcel so that topic 6A-C

They did rush through it. Can someone please direct me to good youtube videos and show me how best to tackle organic chem questions bc omd
Which topic is it?
Original post by CaptainDuckie
Which topic is it?

introduction to organic chem
alkanes
alkenes
Original post by Sclaremonths
alkanes
alkenes

I have got an alkenes playlist on my channel

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTMMuJwv83FoufiV60l7qmYv5NZ0PX93S

It is for AQA ideally but there is very little difference between Edexcel and AQA on this topic.

Also see introduction to organic chemistry playlist

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTMMuJwv83FoJHJM6cX00WC2Amsywe3Eg
Reply 4
I'm sure there will be some good Khan Academy videos on the topics you are looking for
alkanes
alkenes

Post questions here so we can help you, on TSR.

I will do so by the end of today hopefully

Hi
Sorry I was having some problems at home.

My first question is how do you identify which reaction/ mechanism is present. As in how do you know when the reaction is:
addition, elimination, substitution, oxidation, reduction, hydrolysis or polymerisation?
Hi
Sorry I was having some problems at home.

My first question is how do you identify which reaction/ mechanism is present. As in how do you know when the reaction is:
addition, elimination, substitution, oxidation, reduction, hydrolysis or polymerisation?

This comes from practice and recognition of what the concept is behind the question. If you know what a nucleophile is, an electrophile, molecular behaviour of the components, you will be able to see what type of reaction it is; in short, there is no other way to know without actually putting in the effort to learn them. For oxidation reactions, this is fairly straight forward, we know we must lose electrons, same thing with reduction. You need to know the core principles before progressing further into chemistry as a lot of the concepts build on top of the other.

Quick Reply

Latest