The Student Room Group

University of Leicester A100 2022 Entry

Hey guys, I'm thinking of applying to Leicester for 2022 entry. I'm a final year BSc Biochemistry student at KCL. How's everyone feeling about the UCAT and application cycle etc? :smile:

Edited to add: University of Leicester A100 / A199 2022 Offer Holders' thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7190399
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 020200
Hey guys, I'm thinking of applying to Leicester for 2022 entry. I'm a final year BSc Biochemistry student at KCL. How's everyone feeling about the UCAT and application cycle etc? :smile:

I'm thinking of applying too - I'm currently in year 13 but going to take a gap year and reapply (unsuccessful this year).
I'm quite nervous for the UCAT tbh as I have this fear that I'm going to do worse this year! I don't know what it is, I know I need to do better because I got an average score this year and UCAT thresholds for med schools have gone through the roof.
I'm hoping next year is less competitive as long as A levels are back to normal and there is no expected grade inflation - though I'm bracing myself for a year as competitive as this year!
I hope the UCAT cut off scores are lower this year but again I have this fear that they're going to get even higher than this year! :frown:
Reply 2
Welcome to the University of Leicester A100 2022 Entry Discussion.
uollogo.png
Leicester A100 2020 thread:https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6560714

For general information click: https://le.ac.uk/medicine/study/mbchb

For entry requirements click: https://le.ac.uk/medicine/study/mbch.../academic-2021

Leicester A100 / A199 2021 Offer Holders' thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6943792

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!
(edited 2 years ago)
Hello! I've seen in a few places that the minimum score to be invited to an interview was 57 for 2021, which was a larger increase from the 55 for 2020 if you consider the usual increase. Is it likely that this score would go up, and could applicants that get lower than whatever score it is this year still be invited to an interview? If so, how do they select applicants otherwise? I got a score of 57.5 and got pretty disappointed after finding out the new score
Reply 4
Original post by smallsockbigtoe
Hello! I've seen in a few places that the minimum score to be invited to an interview was 57 for 2021, which was a larger increase from the 55 for 2020 if you consider the usual increase. Is it likely that this score would go up, and could applicants that get lower than whatever score it is this year still be invited to an interview? If so, how do they select applicants otherwise? I got a score of 57.5 and got pretty disappointed after finding out the new score

Do you mind to guide me how to score here?
Reply 6

Thank you.
Do you know whether Leicester med school limits the number of years of academic gap? I graduated since 2016 and if I can get into 2022 intake, it is >5 years gap (when I am working in science and hospital base)

Judging from previous years, it’s likely to go up. BUT, they have given interviews to people below the score before. Tends to be in borderline situations, where they take into account contextual things. There’s a link to their annual statistics if you want more info on it.

https://le.ac.uk/medicine/study/applying/statistics
Original post by CarmelaHLT
Judging from previous years, it’s likely to go up. BUT, they have given interviews to people below the score before. Tends to be in borderline situations, where they take into account contextual things. There’s a link to their annual statistics if you want more info on it.

https://le.ac.uk/medicine/study/applying/statistics

There's a few key points to make here, last year there were record numbers of medical applicants and Leicester Medical school interviewed and gave offers to fewer people last year (it was one of the few unis to have the right number of applicants this year and not be oversubscribed). It could potentially stay the same or go down but it depends whether last year's trend continues.

Making your choices for medical school is always difficult knowing whether to take the risk or not but if you've scored yourself and worked out to get 57-58 I'd say you've still got a good chance. It's no guarantee as we don't know whether the trend will continue but if you apply to a few medical schools that are relatively safe and you do like Leicester, why not apply?
Since you haven't given 8 GCSEs, we can't work out your score therefore have no clue
You would get a score of 58, last year's cut off point was 57, year before was 55, it cannot be predicted whether the cut off score would increase or decrease
Original post by AelinGalanythius
There's a few key points to make here, last year there were record numbers of medical applicants and Leicester Medical school interviewed and gave offers to fewer people last year (it was one of the few unis to have the right number of applicants this year and not be oversubscribed). It could potentially stay the same or go down but it depends whether last year's trend continues.

Making your choices for medical school is always difficult knowing whether to take the risk or not but if you've scored yourself and worked out to get 57-58 I'd say you've still got a good chance. It's no guarantee as we don't know whether the trend will continue but if you apply to a few medical schools that are relatively safe and you do like Leicester, why not apply?

Thank you! Do you think it would be easier to predict whether the score would go up or down or stay the same when the statistics for this year's UCAT comes out?
Reply 12
What does everyone think about cutoff scores this year? Last year was 57….I’ve got 59.5 and taking A levels next year. Just so nervous that they guarantee interviews for students with achieved grades and top 50% of UCAT score……that’s going to be a lot of people with guaranteed interviews….so not sure how many interview slots will be left for students taking A levels next year …..?!!
Thank you! Do you think it would be easier to predict whether the score would go up or down or stay the same when the statistics for this year's UCAT comes out?

Perhaps easier, in the sense that the UCAT consortium releases the number of people who sat the UCAT so it's a great indicator of how many people are applying to medicine (although it is sometimes used for other reasons e.g. dentistry) but equally, this is entirely dependent on Leicester and how many people have specifically applied there! I would imagine that this year will be another year with record high people applying to medicine so the score could jump quite a bit again but if exams are being sat, Leicester may decide to give more interviews. It's difficult to say tbh.
Reply 14
Original post by hallam1
What does everyone think about cutoff scores this year? Last year was 57….I’ve got 59.5 and taking A levels next year. Just so nervous that they guarantee interviews for students with achieved grades and top 50% of UCAT score……that’s going to be a lot of people with guaranteed interviews….so not sure how many interview slots will be left for students taking A levels next year …..?!!

Does those with achieved grades include graduates or is it just A-Level Students? I'm a graduate, and my score is 59.5 as well :smile:
Reply 15
Hi, I am a graduate in Biomedical Science First class degree (2012) and PhD (2016), considering to apply for A100.

According to the Leicester's entry requirement, it said: 'All applicants must show evidence of recent academic attainment (within 3 years of the UCAS closing date). Initial assessment of all UCAS forms will be based on academic ability and UCAT score only.'

As my PhD completion was >3 years of the UCAS closing date 2021, therefore I think I may not fit to this. Does anyone have similar situation as mine?

I have completed some 'Master' modules with Newcastle University this year, but not complete Master course, I hope these completed modules could be act as an academic attainment... ? I will contact the admin team to clarify this. But if anyone of you have similar experience on this, please kindly advice/comment. Thanks

I have questions about the scoring for 2022 intake (https://le.ac.uk/-/media/uol/docs/academic-departments/medicine/study-regulations/2022-scoring-of-application-a100-final-0421.pdf):

(1) My UCAT is 2740 (Ave 685) and Band 2 SJT:
VR 540, DM 580, QR 760, AR 860.
Therefore I will score 27.

(2) While I met the GCSE criteria, my A-level was 4 x As and Degree was 1st class.
A-level
Chemistry A - 8 marks (taken over 3 year period)
Physics A - 8 marks (taken over 3 year period)
Biology A - 8 marks (taken over 3 year period)
Mathematics A - 8 marks (taken over 3 year period)
Degree- first class - 5 marks
Total academic score= 37, turn to 32/32

Provided I am eligble, my grade will be 27+32 = 59. Am I correct?

Thanks for comment/correction in advance.
does anyone know how they score scottish candidates?
Do you think the cut off would be likely to increase over 59? I thought that would be a bit of a stretch but looking at what other unis did last year a lot of requirements increased by a lot
Reply 18
Original post by harrietrose17
Do you think the cut off would be likely to increase over 59? I thought that would be a bit of a stretch but looking at what other unis did last year a lot of requirements increased by a lot

If the cut off scores last year went up primarily because of the increase in higher grades awarded under CAG, why would they increase by a large amount again under a similar process ?
(edited 2 years ago)
hi

using the pre interview scoring system, I'd score 54.5.

30/32 for GCSE and 24 for UCAT. I have achieved A-Levels of A*A*A in bio psych chem respectively. is it worth applying to Leicester?

Quick Reply

Latest