The Student Room Group

Best rotations for GP training?

I am starting my GP training in August. Unfortunately in my foundation years I did not do any of : paeds, obs and gynae, psych or A&E which I know are the usual 4 people say are useful for GP

If i can only choose 2 or 3 which would be the most useful do you think?
I think i definitely want to do A&E
but would paeds or obs and gynae be more useful?
I'm scared i haven't dealt enough with children, but i'm actually quite interested to do an obs and gynae rotation because i would want to be doing all the female health stuff in GP if possible
But then people say psych is also useful and a nice break if you're doing other hard rotations
Original post by Anonymous
I am starting my GP training in August. Unfortunately in my foundation years I did not do any of : paeds, obs and gynae, psych or A&E which I know are the usual 4 people say are useful for GP

If i can only choose 2 or 3 which would be the most useful do you think?
I think i definitely want to do A&E
but would paeds or obs and gynae be more useful?
I'm scared i haven't dealt enough with children, but i'm actually quite interested to do an obs and gynae rotation because i would want to be doing all the female health stuff in GP if possible
But then people say psych is also useful and a nice break if you're doing other hard rotations

Would A&E include time in paeds A&E? If so, go for A&E, O&G and psych. If it doesn't then I'd probably go A&E, O&G, and paeds.

You could also consider substituting psych for ENT or dermatology (if available).

Both O&G and paeds would be very useful and relevant to GP. It's hard to say which one would be more useful - if you have to choose I'd probably go with whichever you feel is your weaker area or the one you feel is more relevant to your future e.g. O&G if you're interested in family planning, coils, etc.
(edited 3 years ago)
I'm not a GP trainee, but I'd say Psych is maybe the least useful out of those?
Gynecology?
I'd suggest paeds is more... alien?... than gynae, and if I were becoming a GP I'd definitely want lots of experience of working with kids. But that might just be me.

Obviously you should be getting that broader GP experience with all of paeds O&G and psych and more from the GP blocks in your training!
I would choose whatever you feel less confident in. I am quite lucky in my area that I get three month rotations so can get some experience in all of those in my GP training. If you are female and work in a practice with a lot of male colleagues you might find all the patients with gynae problems choose to come to you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending