The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Accommodation for Postgraduate Students

What are the best accommodation options for postgraduate students at the University of Edinburgh? I am in the law department, if that matters.

There seemed to be a lot of single rooms and en-suites, but I am really looking more for a studio or 1 bedroom, as I dont really feel like living with strangers after 4 years of doing so for my undergrad, haha.

I have saved up money so that I will have more options, but obviously not looking at luxury apartments either. I am looking for something modern and central though, and that preferably allows overnight visitors so that my best friend can come and visit if COVID allows it.

Any student apartment buildings, whether connected to the uni or not? Or other modern apartment buildings for that matter? From what I have seen online there hasnt be a lot to choose from, but I might just suck at researching apartments in the area.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Thank you so much! I am looking for privately owned student accommodation though, as those studios arent exactly what I am looking for and there is no guarantee that I will get one if there are a lot of applicants, in which case theyd give me an en-suite instead. Thank you anyways! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by pineapplemango
Thank you so much! I am looking for privately owned student accommodation though, as those studios arent exactly what I am looking for and there is no guarantee that I will get one if there are a lot of applicants, in which case theyd give me an en-suite instead. Thank you anyways! :smile:

I think that you are likely to get one of the studios as most undergraduates are not going to want to pay the extra money for a studio.

Something which struck me was how close to the teaching buildings the studios were.

Could I ask why the studios aren't exactly what you are looking for?

Do you have a certain price bracket in mind?
Original post by Kerzen
I think that you are likely to get one of the studios as most undergraduates are not going to want to pay the extra money for a studio.

Something which struck me was how close to the teaching buildings the studios were.

Could I ask why the studios aren't exactly what you are looking for?

Do you have a certain price bracket in mind?

Ah, that makes sense!

A lot of the studios I have seen in privately owned student accommodation are much nicer and bigger, and they come with more stuff (TV, some have washing machines, etc etc). I have saved up a lot of money to be able to live comfortably while getting my masters degree, due to having really bad experiences with university owned accommodation in the past. I also like the independence of living somewhere where I am a bit more on my own.

I was thinking something around 1000 per month, but since very few studios are that expensive it looks like I dont have to pay that much :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by pineapplemango

A lot of the studios I have seen in privately owned student accommodation are much nicer and bigger, and they come with more stuff (TV, some have washing machines, etc etc).

Could I ask what you mean when you say 'privately owned student accommodation', as I'm not quite sure?

Do you mean private landlords who own their flats/houses and who rent them out to anyone suitable, be they a student or a professional person?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending