The Student Room Group

Maths help trig

BF9BD727-B72A-41D5-90EC-2DCD2336DBDC.jpg.jpeg
Question

5424FF2D-CBBC-4A56-95F8-98B2454EA5F6.jpg.jpeg
Answer

C99A6810-B918-46F3-A2B3-BB28C93A0E86.jpg.jpeg
What I did

I’m confused why they had to use that identity. I though squaring would make extra results

Like I would have done cast and the other value would be 360-(theta)
Original post by Yazomi
What I did

I’m confused why they had to use that identity. I though squaring would make extra results

Like I would have done cast and the other value would be 360-(theta)

You are right to be cautious about spurious solutions arising from squaring then rooting. However, in this case, since there are two possible values of @ corresponding to sin@ = 3/5, it is reasonable to assume that there may also be two possible values of cos@, and that those values will be given by the trig identity in question.
Another approach would be to draw a second triangle with an obtuse value of @ and proceed geometrically.
Reply 2
Original post by old_engineer
You are right to be cautious about spurious solutions arising from squaring then rooting. However, in this case, since there are two possible values of @ corresponding to sin@ = 3/5, it is reasonable to assume that there may also be two possible values of cos@, and that those values will be given by the trig identity in question.
Another approach would be to draw a second triangle with an obtuse value of @ and proceed geometrically.

Ohhhh right that makes sense thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest