The Student Room Group

A-Level Geography 2021 Query

I hope you are well during these tumultuous times.
I just wanted to ask, do you have any last minute revision tips to ace the exam?
I'm pretty confident in terms of content but how should I articulate my responses to different questions in the exam to attain the highest marks possible.
I hope to hear from someone soon.
Kind Regards,
BigShaq6969.
Reply 1
Original post by BigShaq6969
I hope you are well during these tumultuous times.
I just wanted to ask, do you have any last minute revision tips to ace the exam?
I'm pretty confident in terms of content but how should I articulate my responses to different questions in the exam to attain the highest marks possible.
I hope to hear from someone soon.
Kind Regards,
BigShaq6969.

What subject is it for?
Original post by s14077
What subject is it for?

The title says Geography.
I'm currently doing AQA A-Level Geography.
Human- Water and Carbon Cycle and Hazards.
Physical- Contemporary Urban Environments and Global Systems and Global Governance.
Kind Regards,
BigShaq6969.
Reply 3
Know your main case studies, and if you're not sure what they are, check with your teacher and the specification. Also use the specification to try and see what sort of questions might come up. I revise my case studies with flashcards and by having a 'brain dump' by writing everything I know about them on paper, seeing what I missed, and trying again in a couple of days to see what I retained/need to work on.

Plan questions and arguments based on the spec.

Practise writing essays and other questions! Marking them yourself is a bit tricky, so you can send them to your teachers to mark and give feedback. This is also good to work on your timing.

When revising general theory try to evaluate it. Usually questions are evaluative e.g. ask you to weigh the impacts of human vs physical factors on water supply. I made the mistake of just learning facts in Y12 and struggled to come up with arguments in essays.

Exam technique is very important so make sure you have a set essay structure and know your timings. With 6 markers don't bother explaining unless it's asked for and always use data manipulation (i.e. don't just describe the figure, try to use some simple maths e.g. percentage increase). 4 markers are point marked, therefore you can usually aim to write 2 points and 2 examples (or 3 points to be safe). For 9 markers you don't need a intro/conclusion, you can just use 3 paragraphs (one for each point).
Original post by telkov
Know your main case studies, and if you're not sure what they are, check with your teacher and the specification. Also use the specification to try and see what sort of questions might come up. I revise my case studies with flashcards and by having a 'brain dump' by writing everything I know about them on paper, seeing what I missed, and trying again in a couple of days to see what I retained/need to work on.

Plan questions and arguments based on the spec.

Practise writing essays and other questions! Marking them yourself is a bit tricky, so you can send them to your teachers to mark and give feedback. This is also good to work on your timing.

When revising general theory try to evaluate it. Usually questions are evaluative e.g. ask you to weigh the impacts of human vs physical factors on water supply. I made the mistake of just learning facts in Y12 and struggled to come up with arguments in essays.

Exam technique is very important so make sure you have a set essay structure and know your timings. With 6 markers don't bother explaining unless it's asked for and always use data manipulation (i.e. don't just describe the figure, try to use some simple maths e.g. percentage increase). 4 markers are point marked, therefore you can usually aim to write 2 points and 2 examples (or 3 points to be safe). For 9 markers you don't need a intro/conclusion, you can just use 3 paragraphs (one for each point).

Thanks for everything, you're amazing.
Kind Regards,
BigShaq6969.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending