The Student Room Group

CW: I don’t want to be 46kg :(

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
if you don't accept help, you will end up an inpatient

What’s that
What’s that

An inpatient unit is where you're forced to stay at the hospital/facility.
An outpatient facility is where you're allowed to leave and go at cetain times.
Reply 62
GCSE’s r really important to me and I’m falling behind I need to stress about these things because GCSE’s determine what course I’m able to do in college in the future and I wanna do a course that I love my health can be put second as long as I get my GCSE’s done I’ll then be satisfied with myself

Work smart, not hard.. you can stress yourself out terribly but its not going to get you caught up. What is going to get you back up to speed is focusing on your wellbeing right now so youre in a better mindset to be able to focus on them. You cant focus when you're stressing.
Sorry, the anonymous person who started this thread, but I agree with 'Pathway'.
Surely you would want to get out as soon as possible and eat a **** ton of food to recover.
Therefore, no wonder people on this thread (and at CAMHS) are coming to the conclusion that you're anorexic

I’m eating a lot of nuts etc to increase my intake I’m not anorexic ur only saying that because CAMHS said it
Original post by Foxehh
Work smart, not hard.. you can stress yourself out terribly but its not going to get you caught up. What is going to get you back up to speed is focusing on your wellbeing right now so youre in a better mindset to be able to focus on them. You cant focus when you're stressing.

So true, mental and physical health are important.
When you're at a 'healthy weight' according to your BMI, you'll also be able to function more and excel in your studies.
An inpatient unit is where you're forced to stay at the hospital/facility.
An outpatient facility is where you're allowed to leave and go at cetain times.

Oh
Original post by Foxehh

I need school it’s like my drug homework is my drug it gets me away from all this mess
So true, mental and physical health are important.
When you're at a 'healthy weight' according to your BMI, you'll also be able to function more and excel in your studies.

As an anorexic, I've been told by the professionals I work with that starving yourself for prolonged periods of time (like I do) results in brain shrinkage.
As a result, its harder for me to concentrate and excel in my studies.
The same goes if you're underweight, your cognitive development is severely impeded.
Please try and consume a lot more. You seem anorexic as your reluctant to consume more calories with a heigh caloric intake.
Eat small snacks throughout the day like Yoghurts and other things with fats in them.
I believe in you!!! You can do it!!! Also, it's possible to focus on another very important thing at the same time as GCSEs- I know it's completely different but I had some important singing exams at the same time as GCSEs and all was fine..
And I gained a lot of weight over GCSEs while revising and not moving much so it's definitely possible even without trying!
I get that you think gaining the weight is not your top priority but honestly, you'll feel so much better, you won't feel as weak, your brain function and memory will improve (fact!) and you'll probably feel proud of yourself and that might motivate you even more!
Please try! They really do want the best for you by giving you these rules.
I believe in you!!! You can do it!!! Also, it's possible to focus on another very important thing at the same time as GCSEs- I know it's completely different but I had some important singing exams at the same time as GCSEs and all was fine..
And I gained a lot of weight over GCSEs while revising and not moving much so it's definitely possible even without trying!
I get that you think gaining the weight is not your top priority but honestly, you'll feel so much better, you won't feel as weak, your brain function and memory will improve (fact!) and you'll probably feel proud of yourself and that might motivate you even more!
Please try! They really do want the best for you by giving you these rules.

Thank you
They’re not allowing me to go to school that’s what’s stopping me I want to go to school and be with my friends

But if you gain the weight, they will allow you to go to school.

Coming from someone with AN, I know weight gain can be difficult and it's horrible to actually acknowledge and accept that you are actually ill. But there are three (main) possible outcomes, either you just plain need to eat more, you have an ED or you have something physically going on that is causing you to weigh so little.

Either way, the weight and associated health issues (e.g. passing out) need to be dealt with.
As an anorexic, I've been told by the professionals I work with that starving yourself for prolonged periods of time (like I do) results in brain shrinkage.
As a result, its harder for me to concentrate and excel in my studies.
The same goes if you're underweight, your cognitive development is severely impeded.
Please try and consume a lot more. You seem anorexic as your reluctant to consume more calories with a heigh caloric intake.
Eat small snacks throughout the day like Yoghurts and other things with fats in them.

This is actually true, I have brain shrinkage likely caused by my anorexia, and it's actually horrible to deal with.
Original post by Pathway
But if you gain the weight, they will allow you to go to school.

Coming from someone with AN, I know weight gain can be difficult and it's horrible to actually acknowledge and accept that you are actually ill. But there are three (main) possible outcomes, either you just plain need to eat more, you have an ED or you have something physically going on that is causing you to weigh so little.

Either way, the weight and associated health issues (e.g. passing out) need to be dealt with.

Yes I’m aware if I gain weight I’ll be better and not underweight and honestly I’m trying to I’ve been having more snacks regularly and having nuts but honestly it’s so hard I just want to be discharged and be able to go to school automatically without them constantly bugging me :frown:
I’m eating a lot of nuts etc to increase my intake I’m not anorexic ur only saying that because CAMHS said it

You have a very disordered attitude to weight based on this and all 5 (or more) of your previous threads, that is why people are saying you have an eating disorder.
Yes I’m aware if I gain weight I’ll be better and not underweight and honestly I’m trying to I’ve been having more snacks regularly and having nuts but honestly it’s so hard I just want to be discharged and be able to go to school automatically without them constantly bugging me :frown:

They will continue to do so until you are actively showing them that you're okay on your own and they can trust you enough to discharge you. It sucks, but that's just how it is - try your best by your body, it's doing a lot for you day in day out, try and work with them so you can learn how to treat it with more respect. You'll kick yourself if you're still struggling like this further down the line.
Original post by Pathway
They will continue to do so until you are actively showing them that you're okay on your own and they can trust you enough to discharge you. It sucks, but that's just how it is - try your best by your body, it's doing a lot for you day in day out, try and work with them so you can learn how to treat it with more respect. You'll kick yourself if you're still struggling like this further down the line.

Thank you for the advice your very helpful
U think I haven’t? They keep brushing me off saying oh it will be fine but honestly they don’t care because they already have their future sorted out..and I haven’t sorted it out yet

You can take time out from your studies - you won't get the best grades if your body is so under-nourished.
Hello, I’ve struggled with my weight when I was 11-12ish now iam 13 and beginning to start to realise that iam a healthy weight and that I just thought I was fat because of my step-mum, iam 5’2 and 48kg, eat all the foods you enjoy and stop skipping meals, if you aren’t your best self then you probably won’t do your best in school and it will affect your mental health! Please take care of yourself! <3
Reply 78
I think that I have given you the link to BEAT on another thread. They would be a good source of support to you, as would Childline.

https://www.beateatingdisorders.org.uk/support-services/myself

https://www.childline.org.uk/get-support/

You need to stick with your current therapy and work towards reaching the weight they have recommended. They are experts in the field, after all.

Just as a matter of interest, you mention eating nuts. What would a typical day's food look like for you?
Hi there, I think I have missed the main flood of replies on this post. I have to say, reading your post took me on a horrible flashback to my year 10. I lost a lot of weight within a year: looking back on it I can only really put it down to the stresses in my house at the time (2 parents that argued constantly and a family member with at-the-time undiagnosed Bipolar disorder having psychotic episodes) reducing my appetite. I went to Dr with my mum, to reassure her and instead they referred me to CAHMS, (a 1 hr bus journey either way, only on school days). That trip ruined my life. I didn't have any of the typical associated MH signs of anorexia other than a low weight. However, no matter how I felt, I was still a low weight for my height at the time and was trying to improve it . No one tells you how hard it is to gain weight when you are trying to (and believe me I am no sporty in the slightest). I was 49kg at that point but that was pretty low as I was 5ft 8 or 9 at the time I think.

I really didn't want to go cos I felt I could help build my diet up monitored with normal nurse clinics. I was also terrified of falling behind on my GCSES like you. I knew for the career I want to go into, the unis need top grades and I didn't want to have a 'black mark' of a mental health label on my application forms (just to reassure you, this has not been the case at all and it did not adversely affect my application). However, I was blackmailed into going, told that they would bring social services in to investigate my family and might also be put under section (was actually a long way from this point at the time, from what I now know). Things deteriorated and by the time of my cahms assessment, I was told I wan under no circumstances allowed to attend school. Being the sad human I am, school was my life. I loved to learn, didn't really like to do what other girls did at weekends and used the breaks to stay in touch with my busy friends. Taking that away, I still adamantly believe, was the most significant factor contributing to my hospitalisation.
I lost any motivation, had no other activities to do and school stopped sending me work to do so I constantly fretted about my exams and pulled all-nighters (also low weight is not great for sleep etc) printing any kind of revision from the internet to do. Weekly treks across to the CAHMS were a drag. I hated the staff because all they saw was someone they labelled with an ED in denial (they probably see so many people with that scenario before) and they had no respect for my opinions at all. I did not improve. I was so stressed, got worse and was hospitalised in the end. I was inpatient for 7 months, discharged on my 16th birthday and have felt constantly watched ever since, especially while I was at 6th form. I also missed out on so much banter and was basically a social pariah when I came back. I missed the end of year 10 and the first half of year 11 and my head of year tried to make me quit my twilight latin class. However, I ended up with 11 grade 9s an A* and and A^ (was the 1st year of all subjects being 1-9) so I totally did not fail. Now I am at uni but having that hospitalisation on my record made applying really stressful as I didn't know if they'd want someone who was ever that bad in the profession (I know they can't discriminate but still)

Missing a day every week to trek over to CAHMS now is SOOO annoying I know but it is better than refusing to go, dragging other authorities in to look at your case and then ending up in an inpatient somewhere, missing months on end. Trust me, you will catch up. Don't waste energy worrying about grades now: focus on regaining weight and then you can knuckle down on revision.

In my experience, they will NOT let you argue with them as in their psychologist heads, that would be allowing the ED to 'negotiate'. Sorry to be frank, but whist you are under their care, they will listen to your rants with a sympathetic nod and then blatantly disregard your opinion because they wouldn't want to be held accountable if your weight slipped, you had a heart attack or similar and you died.They probably won't discharge you until you are properly stable either. I had to attend CAHMS again after my inpatient treatment (was mortifying!) and could not WAIT to leave the tacky quotes on the walls, the musty smell and the two-faced clinicians behind. We kept having to cancel appointments as we couldn't travel over there and in the end, we just stopped arranging them because they became too infrequent and we both hated eachother. Officially, I don't have a discharge letter cos they were so reluctant to let me go. The only reason I got out of impatient was because I realised that they were never going to accept anything from my point of view and were always going to interpret what I said in the context of an ED (thus putting words into my mouth).

My advice: Play the game. Gain the weight and more. Eat lots of nuts and nourishing foods (also a great excuse to eat peanut butter- YUM!). Splash a bit of cash in starbucks and on any foods you enjoy. Show them you don't have a problem. The faster you show you are complying (even if you don't agree with what they are saying in the first place), the faster you can stop going to CAHMS, and they can see others who might actually need mental support. And don't stress too much about grades- you sound like you are motivated so just do all you can to catch up.
Please don't let yourself get sucked into the same situation as me and just do what they tell you. Your future self will thank you for it.

Quick Reply

Latest