The Student Room Group

Disease Question

Hi All, I need some help with where to start with the following 12-marker;

'Examine how outbreaks of disease might be affected by the water cycle'

We looked at river flooding in Bangladesh - would this be useful / what could I write about? Thank You!
Reply 1
Original post by JWilson02
Hi All, I need some help with where to start with the following 12-marker;

'Examine how outbreaks of disease might be affected by the water cycle'

We looked at river flooding in Bangladesh - would this be useful / what could I write about? Thank You!

Think about waterborne diseases e.g. cholera. Flooding can spread diseases through...
- Contamination of drinking/cooking water sources
- Water spreads bacteria, viruses and parasites
- People are forced to use alternative water sources of their water sources becomes inundated. These water sources may be untreated/unsafe to use
- Flooding in tropical countries can spread malaria with increased water bodies acting as the breeding ground for mosquitoes (malaria vector)
- Flooding may cause sustained power supply issues and lack of electricity. Water treatment plants lose power and water remains unsafe
- Roads may be blocked meaning people are unable to access medical supplies
- Vulnerable people e.g. elderly, children may not be able to cope with flooding and are more likely to become unwell as a result
- Flooding can impact agricultural food supplies. If harvests become unsuccessful food supplies are lower and people may become malnourished (more susceptible to disease!)....In Bangladesh 2.2 million acres of farmland were flooded
- In Bangladesh 100,000 people in Dhaka suffered from diarrhoea which spread extremely fast
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending