The Student Room Group

Lawyer Jobs

Does anybody know any law-related jobs that consist of lots of international travelling?
Reply 1
Original post by idontlikeessays
Does anybody know any law-related jobs that consist of lots of international travelling?

lawyers without borders?
Just bare in mind that travelling as part of your job won’t ever be as glamorous or exciting as you think it would be….
Law isn't a job you get to experience travelling a great deal with. Even less so after Covid because people are realising how much can be done without face to face contact so there is less reason to pay for travelling. If travelling is something you are interested in then work for a national regional law firm and travel in your spare time.

Something like UN work maybe... Solicitors at a small number of UK firms do international work but a lot of it will be Zoom now and can be quite unsociable hours due to time differences etc
Original post by markmm4226
Just bare in mind that travelling as part of your job won’t ever be as glamorous or exciting as you think it would be….

nah i love travelling
nah i love travelling

Travelling with work is very different to just travelling. It is fun at the beginning but as time goes on most people grow tired of it. It is difficult to know what it is like if you have never done it but after a while you will begin just wanting to be at home with friends and family and to just feel settled. Also, you never get to choose where you are going - so it is like an adventure. You often have no time while you are away to do anything apart from work. The reality of a job in law is that there is minimal travelling and that your best trade off is going to be in getting a job at a firm that offers a better work life balance to travel in your free time. I know a lot of lawyers and I don't know any that travel significantly in their job - at most a couple of them have done a secondment.
Reply 7
nah i love travelling

In all my trips abroad in 24 years of legal practice I have never had any time to myself. All my time has been taken up with meetings, travel, working in my hotel room or sleeping. If your idea of fun when travelling is comparing the interior decor of meeting rooms and office lunches around the world, then maybe legal travel is for you. However, as everyone else has said, I suspect you will quickly realise that travel with work is essentially ****.
hmm everyone has different opinions/experiences. i know people who have been travelling for their jobs for quite a while and they love it. its subjective and based on what kind of person you are; not everyone is going to have the same experiences as you.
Original post by Ridleyxf
In all my trips abroad in 24 years of legal practice I have never had any time to myself. All my time has been taken up with meetings, travel, working in my hotel room or sleeping. If your idea of fun when travelling is comparing the interior decor of meeting rooms and office lunches around the world, then maybe legal travel is for you. However, as everyone else has said, I suspect you will quickly realise that travel with work is essentially ****.
Original post by one_two_three
Travelling with work is very different to just travelling. It is fun at the beginning but as time goes on most people grow tired of it. It is difficult to know what it is like if you have never done it but after a while you will begin just wanting to be at home with friends and family and to just feel settled. Also, you never get to choose where you are going - so it is like an adventure. You often have no time while you are away to do anything apart from work. The reality of a job in law is that there is minimal travelling and that your best trade off is going to be in getting a job at a firm that offers a better work life balance to travel in your free time. I know a lot of lawyers and I don't know any that travel significantly in their job - at most a couple of them have done a secondment.

yeah so then i probably wouldnt be travelling ALL the time as youve just said so id be less likely to grow tired of it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending